Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help FI-TT with UpRev tune: cranks but no spark nor fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 01:14 AM
harbin9er
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Question FI-TT with UpRev tune: cranks but no spark nor fuel

Hey folks, I am running into a road-block with my install. Does anyone have an idea about this? thanks

I have a 2008 Infiniti G37S 6MT, which I am currently in the middle of installing a Fast Intentions https://fastintentions.com/ Twin Turbo kit for. The ECU tune was made by sebastian@specialtyz.com for this application using UpRev.

I have my own UpRev cable and license. After flashing Sebastian's tune into the ECU with UpRev's RomEditor, I can crank the motor, but it does not start. Below are the results of my diagnosis so far:
  • My ECU ROM number is: <23710 - JK75D>.
    However, Sebastian gave me a tune for " JK78C", but assured me that JK78C is the updated ROM and this is what UpRev has been using for my ECU for a few years already.
  • Checked all fuses - none blown
  • Checked all wiring harnesses- all OK and connected
  • The following were checked using both <Sebastian's JK78C tune>, as well as the 'OEM' <JK78C.OsirisROM>, which was downloaded with UpRev's RomEditor:
    • NO SPARK
      I physically checked this during cranking with an inline spark plug tester. However, there was 12V across two of the three terminals (the third terminal is ground, I assume) in the connector that goes into the coil pack - this would indicate that there is no physical wiring issue.
    • NO FUEL INJECTION
      I physically checked this by pointing an endoscope into an open spark plug hole, as well as putting a stethoscope onto a fuel injector to listen for clicks during cranking. However, I know the fuel pump works (it whirls up at key-on), and I do get fuel pressure (physically measured by fuel-pressure gauge) into the rails (there is fuel all the way to the injectors when I disassembled it).
  • Searching in internet forums, there were some similar 370Zs/G37s "crank, but no start" issues. They've found the problem was due to a bad crank angle sensor. However, I didn't touch the crank sensor during my install, but I did have to change to an aftermarket flywheel. Furthermore, I logged some data using UpRev's RomEditor and I do get reasonable Engine RPM readings (it goes up to ~150RPM during cranking). This seems to indicate it's not bad crank sensor.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:48 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by harbin9er
Hey folks, I am running into a road-block with my install. Does anyone have an idea about this? thanks

I have my own UpRev cable and license. After flashing Sebastian's tune into the ECU with UpRev's RomEditor, I can crank the motor, but it does not start. Below are the results of my diagnosis so far:
  • My ECU ROM number is: <23710 - JK75D>.
    However, Sebastian gave me a tune for " JK78C", but assured me that JK78C is the updated ROM and this is what UpRev has been using for my ECU for a few years already.
  • Checked all fuses - none blown
  • Checked all wiring harnesses- all OK and connected
  • The following were checked using both <Sebastian's JK78C tune>, as well as the 'OEM' <JK78C.OsirisROM>, which was downloaded with UpRev's RomEditor:
    • NO SPARK
      I physically checked this during cranking with an inline spark plug tester. However, there was 12V across two of the three terminals (the third terminal is ground, I assume) in the connector that goes into the coil pack - this would indicate that there is no physical wiring issue.
    • NO FUEL INJECTION
      I physically checked this by pointing an endoscope into an open spark plug hole, as well as putting a stethoscope onto a fuel injector to listen for clicks during cranking. However, I know the fuel pump works (it whirls up at key-on), and I do get fuel pressure (physically measured by fuel-pressure gauge) into the rails (there is fuel all the way to the injectors when I disassembled it).
  • Searching in internet forums, there were some similar 370Zs/G37s "crank, but no start" issues. They've found the problem was due to a bad crank angle sensor. However, I didn't touch the crank sensor during my install, but I did have to change to an aftermarket flywheel. Furthermore, I logged some data using UpRev's RomEditor and I do get reasonable Engine RPM readings (it goes up to ~150RPM during cranking). This seems to indicate it's not bad crank sensor.
Wow joining the boosted club after how many years? Welcome aboard the train brother!

Uprev lists their roms here: https://uprev.com/romlist.php
According to the list you did get the proper rom.

There could be a number of things, but I would say to double check all of the coil harnesses - make sure you haven't swapped cylinders 1 & 3 for instance. Also check the grounds and see if the coil packs themselves are still good and not shorted somehow.

Edit: Also check your starter lead wire from the harness or the main power wire to the starter.

Good luck!

Last edited by ttv36; 04-29-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:00 PM
harbin9er
Registered Member

Thanks! I actually started planning this turbo ~10 years ago I when I bought the car while I was still in grad-school. I needed multiple steps to happen before I could start on the install, though: graduate, get job, change job and move city, buy house with 2 car garage, get secondary vehicle so I can still drive while working on install.

UpRev gave me some feedback which I will check on tonight.
I'll also check on the wiring into the starter.

At this stage I think the issue might be some random, seemingly-unrelated wiring/harness/connector that I didn't connect/forgot
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (05-02-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 10:34 PM
harbin9er
Registered Member

Turns out it was a mistake that I'm sure several people made before - did not install a dowel-hole on the flywheel, to the dowel-pin on the back of the rear crankshaft seal.
It's easy to miss because the pin is so small

The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (07-22-2019)