General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Battery problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:38 PM
cmd photography

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery problems

I have a 2008 g37 journey coupe and the car just seems to have constant battery problems. The car has been serviced with all the up to date service bulletins in relation to the battery problems but after that, the car battery still dies.

I took the car to infiniti and they tell me that it is due to the ipod being connected when the car is turned off. Leaving the Ipod connected to the factory ipod/iphone connector will drain the battery which will lead to the battery to die if you leave it overnight. Has anybody else had this problem?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
That is not true at all. The iPod has its own battery, it doesn't drain the one in the car. It shuts off and doesn't charge when the car is turned off. Have them perform the TSB for the faulty vent valve, that's more likely to be the culprit than your iPod. I have had an iPod hooked up in my car continuously (I never take it out) since '07 and it doesn't drain the battery.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:50 PM
cmd photography

yea i got the vent control value replaced, ECU flashed, and also got something replaced thats behind the clock. cant think of the name of it now but supposedly theres a module or board thats drawing too much power thats behind the clock area.

what im thinking is that they just made something up. It just recently died on me again after not having the ipod connected and they said there probably going have to call infiniti engineering for tech help.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:52 PM
indyn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get an another battery brand, the factory one isn't good. Got the Everstart from Walmart for the g37, car starts right away even after not starting it for two weeks in Canadian winter.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:22 PM
BH818

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cmd photography
yea i got the vent control value replaced, ECU flashed, and also got something replaced thats behind the clock. cant think of the name of it now but supposedly theres a module or board thats drawing too much power thats behind the clock area.

what im thinking is that they just made something up. It just recently died on me again after not having the ipod connected and they said there probably going have to call infiniti engineering for tech help.
are you paying for all those or warranty?
Old 02-05-2012, 01:39 AM
cmd photography

why would i get another battery when the warranty covers it?

and no i didnt pay anything. Everything was covered under warranty.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:12 PM
KAMSFODO

The dealer is full of it...I leave my ipod connected all the time and my car sits for 1-2 months sometimes,and the car fires up with no problem. Hope you get to the root of the problem,you're the same guy with the shifter issue right?
Old 02-12-2012, 01:36 AM
cmd photography

yea same guy lol. ive already complained to infiniti customer affairs and they say they cant do nothing because dealership writes in worklog saying they cant find a problem. Im pretty sure the car is going to die again in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cmd photography
why would i get another battery when the warranty covers it?

and no i didnt pay anything. Everything was covered under warranty.
Did you buy your '08 Model in late 2008? Just wondering how you still have warranty after 4 years, I bought mine in Fall of '07, but I am out of warranty as it has been almost 5 years now, even though the mileage is low (15k)
Old 09-05-2013, 01:10 PM
mickylong

Been reading the posts re: faulty vent valve. Have been having same battery drain problem. Is there a way to view the valve to see it it is in fact the older version or the newer version? My dealer wouldn't commit to fixing my issue under warranty until they examine the car (which I understand) but I don't want to go through the hassle of dropping it off and dealing with repair if they won't fix under warranty. I know I meet the pattern of car sitting for a somewhat extended time but not sure if the valve had been replaced under some previous repair work.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:17 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mickylong
Been reading the posts re: faulty vent valve. Have been having same battery drain problem. Is there a way to view the valve to see it it is in fact the older version or the newer version? My dealer wouldn't commit to fixing my issue under warranty until they examine the car (which I understand) but I don't want to go through the hassle of dropping it off and dealing with repair if they won't fix under warranty. I know I meet the pattern of car sitting for a somewhat extended time but not sure if the valve had been replaced under some previous repair work.
They can lookup ur vin in the system and can tell if its been done or drop it off and have them look at it. I had mine done out of warranty and called Nissan and had them reimburse me
Old 09-12-2013, 04:41 PM
dkh0331

I had what I thought was a battery problem in my 04 G35. If the car sat for a couple of days without being driven, the battery would die. The problem was not with the battery, but it was with the Bose stereo. Seems the stereo was still pulling power even tho the car was off. I pulled the radio fuse when I knew it was going to sit - like at the airport parking lot, for more than a day or two. Put the fuse back in and the car started up without issue.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:10 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dkh0331
I had what I thought was a battery problem in my 04 G35. If the car sat for a couple of days without being driven, the battery would die. The problem was not with the battery, but it was with the Bose stereo. Seems the stereo was still pulling power even tho the car was off. I pulled the radio fuse when I knew it was going to sit - like at the airport parking lot, for more than a day or two. Put the fuse back in and the car started up without issue.
Yes that was a common known issue in that generation.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:11 PM
mickylong

Following up on battery problems. Does a weak battery cause unusual electrical faults beyone failure to start, of course. Tonight after parking my G37 for about an hour I came back to find my electronic key wouldn't open the doors or trunk until I tried about 10 times and when I looked at the car I noticed my lights on at a low level even though the switch was off. Battery was stone dead, no cranking at all.

I had road service jump it and it started right up. On my way to replace battery tomorrow but wondered if I needed to take it to a dealer first for other checks. It's a 2008. Any thoughts?
Old 09-17-2013, 11:53 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mickylong
Following up on battery problems. Does a weak battery cause unusual electrical faults beyone failure to start, of course. Tonight after parking my G37 for about an hour I came back to find my electronic key wouldn't open the doors or trunk until I tried about 10 times and when I looked at the car I noticed my lights on at a low level even though the switch was off. Battery was stone dead, no cranking at all.

I had road service jump it and it started right up. On my way to replace battery tomorrow but wondered if I needed to take it to a dealer first for other checks. It's a 2008. Any thoughts?
Car will do a lot of weird things when battery totally dies, for example ur windows will keep rolling down because they get unprogrammed so when you open the door it automatically goes all the way down.

In my car it would sit dead for months and I had codes coming back talking about my anti-theft system gave out faulty codes, so yes when the power of the brain dies other things can act up.

I would suggest get your battery replaced and get your alternator and the rest checked, if it still acts weird than take it to the dealer