brake judder - getting hassle from dealership for coverage

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:15 AM
anh3

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
new/updated TSB for this issue, just set up appt w/ dealer today...

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/

Classification: Reference: Date: BR09-002b ITB09-037b January 28, 2010
G COUPE AND SEDAN; BRAKE JUDDER
This bulletin has been amended. CLAIMS INFORMATION has been corrected. The SERVICE PROCEDURE has been amended. Please discard all previous copies.
APPLIED VEHICLES: 2007-2009 G Sedan (V36) 2008-2009 G Coupe (CV36) APPLIED VINS: 2007-2008 G Sedan - ALL 2008 G Coupe - ALL 2009 G Coupe vehicles built between: JNKCV(*)4(**)9M 600008 and JNKCV(*)4(**)9M 652073 2009 G Sedan vehicles built between: JNKCV(*)1(**)9M 010111 and JNKCV(*)1(**)9M 051571 or JNKCV(*)1(**)9M 300016 and JNKCV(*)1(**)9M 353912APPLIED DATES: Vehicles built before: October 6, 2008

got in, backing plates replaced, rotor re-surfaced, all under warranty. Let's see how long before it came back?!

Last edited by anh3; 06-03-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Sapper326

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhyno76
I have the brake judder and steering wheel shake on my G37 coupe. I knew my back brakes were a little low, but I mentioned it at my last oil change and the service guy said all my rotors were probably shot and they could install new back-brake pads and turn all 4 rotors for close to 500$. I told him I'll just get it done somewhere else. That night I found out about the "brake judder" TSB here on the forums.

The next day, I took my copy of TSB ITB09-037b into the dealership since my G falls under the date\VIN requirements. They told me they wouldn't look at anything until I replaced the back brakes. I bought a set of rear Hawk HPS pads and had them installed\rotors machined on the back brakes at the Goodyear place I take all my cars to for brake\tire work. Replacing the back brakes (big shock) does not resolve it and the steering wheel's still shaking while I brake.

I call the dealership today and tell them that the steering wheel still shakes and they tell me they need me to bring it in again for them to inspect the work that Goodyear did and only then will they look at the front rotors under the TSB guidelines. They also said that if it turns out to not be the front rotors, they're going to charge me $128 for the brake\rotor inspection! I talked to the service manager and he's telling me that that's my only option...take it or leave it, and that someone's got to pay for his guys to do their work.

Is anyone else out there getting the run-around over this TSB? I don't have the option of going to another Infiniti dealership, as the next closest one is 3+ hours away. Any advice you guys can offer is greatly appreciated!
I had the same issue with my 09 G37 Coupe and the dealer ordered and installed the backing plates to keep the rotors from warping so quickly. They machined the rotors at the same time and I have gone 20K miles now with no issues. No hassle at all from my dealer - love Sewell Houston North. Agree you should look for another dealer.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:05 AM
Sytrash

Question

I am sure I have the brake judder problem, am going to take it to the dealership soon. However, I also feel like my steering wheel is very light and shaky at higher speed on freeway. I didn't notice it as much until I drove couple new 11' G37 a few weeks ago. Does any one have that problem?
Old 09-02-2011, 10:57 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I deal with mine, Dealer told me casue I dropped the car it caused the shaking,. They wanted me to go back to stock height for them to replace the rotors. . needless to say my frontend groans now when I turn the wheel now. Sway bar bushings Gonaa try to lube them and see if it goes away, If not another thing I have to deal with..
Old 09-02-2011, 10:38 PM
anh3

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sytrash
I am sure I have the brake judder problem, am going to take it to the dealership soon. However, I also feel like my steering wheel is very light and shaky at higher speed on freeway. I didn't notice it as much until I drove couple new 11' G37 a few weeks ago. Does any one have that problem?
brake judder in my case, is when the brake is apply at speed, the steering wheel shakes along with brake peddal vibration. My steering wheel do not shake when the brake is not applied. If your steering wheel shakes without braking, that will most likely be b/c your some or all of your wheels are not balanced.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:48 AM
Sytrash

Originally Posted by anh3
brake judder in my case, is when the brake is apply at speed, the steering wheel shakes along with brake peddal vibration. My steering wheel do not shake when the brake is not applied. If your steering wheel shakes without braking, that will most likely be b/c your some or all of your wheels are not balanced.
It shook when I had my stock wheels. I just changed to a new set, and it still shakes, but lesser than before. Unless both are not balanced which I doubt, but good info though.

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I deal with mine, Dealer told me casue I dropped the car it caused the shaking,. They wanted me to go back to stock height for them to replace the rotors. . needless to say my frontend groans now when I turn the wheel now. Sway bar bushings Gonaa try to lube them and see if it goes away, If not another thing I have to deal with..
I have stock settings, so different problem I guess.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:03 PM
sammy917

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
had brake judder, dealer resurfaced rotors under warranty, and now it's back. however along with it the shift **** (7at awd) shakes occasionally as well. anyone know of this happening?
Old 09-16-2011, 04:38 AM
g37s jon

I also had break judder on my 08' G37s with current 52k miles on. I told them about the Service Bulletin ITB09-037b and explained my story on how I feel it a lot while driving in my neighborhood since I live on a mountain with turns, sudden semi-steep incline/descending hills. Also feel it when braking a little heavily and not the ABS kicking in. Had to also remind them that they, the dealership, replaced all 4 tires 7 months ago and being that I have aftermarket suspension with front and rear alignment kit I had an alignment done elsewhere 2 weeks after new tires were put on with alignment all within factory specs. They had to drive the car a few times "around the block" and a couple of calls saying "It's not really noticeable but it is there, and because it's your car and only you know how it drives we will warranty it".

The service writers were nice about it and no hassles. Infiniti of Honolulu has awesome customer service and pretty much warranties almost anything. I got my car back today and wow amazing it's gone. The pedal feels more firm and as if I need to step harder on the pedal to stop than before but maybe it needs a break in or I got used to the G25 Loaners they give now *BLAH*. I'll go easy on em for now since it's "new".

JT

Last edited by g37s jon; 09-16-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:26 PM
hustlerj

The tsb applied only to 08 to 09? What about 2010? I'm having the same problem. I have a 2010 g37s with 10k miles. It happens when I brake. Doesn't matter if it's hard braking or lightly. It shakes when I brake. I can feel its coming from the front rotors.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:15 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by hustlerj
The tsb applied only to 08 to 09? What about 2010? I'm having the same problem. I have a 2010 g37s with 10k miles. It happens when I brake. Doesn't matter if it's hard braking or lightly. It shakes when I brake. I can feel its coming from the front rotors.
Begin by explaining to the dealer that you are aware that the TSB is for 08-09 however you are experiencing the same braking symptoms. If they will not do anything then follow-up with a call to Infiniti Consumer Affairs (phone number is in the Owners Manual). Explain the situation and that you feel the same thing is occurring on your 2010 model that has been happening to many with 07-09 models..
Old 05-09-2012, 08:20 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by hustlerj
"Brake Judder / Pedal Pulsation" is caused by thickness variation in the rotor. Whether this is caused due to lateral runout or actual thickness variation, the result is the same - your pads will not be making even contact with the rotors and you will not have optimal braking. When I diagnose these problems, I check the following:

a) axial end-play - should be no play at all - if there is play, need to replace the wheel bearing and possibly hub assembly too
b) lateral runout - should be within specifications - the close to zero the better

if there is excessive runout, check the hub for runout - if the hub runout is out of spec and you are under warranty, ask for a new hub. If you are out of warranty, you can use a brake alignment shim to fix the runout as long as your wheel bearing is in good shape (no noise or axial end-play). Rotors are often the culprits too, espcially if they have been "cut" or "machined."

90% of the time there is a runout problem, the other 10% of the time it is a combination of uneven pad deposits causing thickness variation and rotor thickness variation. The upgraded backing plates help a lot to provide even cooling to keep the rotors true.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:11 AM
hustlerj

good informations. thanks bud. i'm going ask one of my mechanic to take a closer look at it

Originally Posted by bythabay
"Brake Judder / Pedal Pulsation" is caused by thickness variation in the rotor. Whether this is caused due to lateral runout or actual thickness variation, the result is the same - your pads will not be making even contact with the rotors and you will not have optimal braking. When I diagnose these problems, I check the following:

a) axial end-play - should be no play at all - if there is play, need to replace the wheel bearing and possibly hub assembly too
b) lateral runout - should be within specifications - the close to zero the better

if there is excessive runout, check the hub for runout - if the hub runout is out of spec and you are under warranty, ask for a new hub. If you are out of warranty, you can use a brake alignment shim to fix the runout as long as your wheel bearing is in good shape (no noise or axial end-play). Rotors are often the culprits too, espcially if they have been "cut" or "machined."

90% of the time there is a runout problem, the other 10% of the time it is a combination of uneven pad deposits causing thickness variation and rotor thickness variation. The upgraded backing plates help a lot to provide even cooling to keep the rotors true.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:08 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Anyone know when I can order this "backing plate" to eliminate my brake judder. My dealership is clueless
Old 12-21-2012, 10:21 AM
kkkkken

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Took my 09 G37S Coupe in to Woodchester Infiniti in Mississauga to get this TSB verified. I was told I'd have to pay the $53 brake inspection fee - but if the TSB is in fact pertinent to my car - then that would be waived.

Car was looked at - TSB in play.

They are going to remove the existing splash guards - one per front wheel, replace the wheel bearings, install new splash guards, machine the rotors, and slap the loaded caliper back on.

I asked about getting new rotors, but they said the TSB states machining the rotors down - and if that takes them below spec - then replace them with new.

Looking forward to braking without the steering wheel going left right left right.....

Whats the consensus on putting new pads in when they machine the rotors? I have about 30% left on these pads. Just wondering if I should replace the pads and service the calipers while they are at it?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Ron James

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took my 09 X Coupe to Markham Infiniti for the same problem after reading about this TSB. They took it for a drive, confirmed the problem, and did the TSB under warranty immediately. No mention of having to pay a brake inspection fee.

Originally Posted by kkkkken
Took my 09 G37S Coupe in to Woodchester Infiniti in Mississauga to get this TSB verified. I was told I'd have to pay the $53 brake inspection fee - but if the TSB is in fact pertinent to my car - then that would be waived.

Car was looked at - TSB in play.

They are going to remove the existing splash guards - one per front wheel, replace the wheel bearings, install new splash guards, machine the rotors, and slap the loaded caliper back on.

I asked about getting new rotors, but they said the TSB states machining the rotors down - and if that takes them below spec - then replace them with new.

Looking forward to braking without the steering wheel going left right left right.....

Whats the consensus on putting new pads in when they machine the rotors? I have about 30% left on these pads. Just wondering if I should replace the pads and service the calipers while they are at it?

Quick Reply: brake judder - getting hassle from dealership for coverage