The M - Spot General discussion for the M35/M45

M56 vs M37

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 04:51 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Cling to the road?! The car has the OEM spring rate of a marshmallow and the RSB is pencil thin. That 'grip' is those open diffs slowing you down, not pushing you through the corner. The LSD is hands down the better spirited driving or track set-up. The only time the X will outshine is in bad weather....If the RWD will spin out then the understeer of the X will leave you plowing into oncoming traffic.

Brakes, suspension, tighter steering rack ratio...you know, stuff that improves handling..that's all. LSDs are better in every single driving scenario except for inclement weather. Even then, skilled driver's prefer the power delivery vs. the power pull. Most people aren't skilled drivers, hence, open differentials...Perhaps you weren't able to use the benefits because your limitations as a driver prohibited it? I don't mean it as an insult but if you didn't recognize the benefits then you simply weren't driving the car anywhere near its capabilities.

My man, you're making the X sound like it's a Evo X AWD monster when it simply isn't. In real world driving, the RWD coupe has the better suspension set-up, rubber, and weight distribution. You can absolutely NOT throw the X into a corner and have it 'take it like a champ' I have done so and it's not a good time. Only after coilovers, and a thicker RSB (ask me what from...) did that car become fun to throw around. Even then, rubber is a limitation. If you're able to spin out with 330HP and a near perfect weight distribution then you need more seat time.

Dude, the X doesn't have the LSDs and that makes all the difference. How are you gonna spit nonsense about how LSDs are inferior or not needed then glaze over the small difference in bold.... I just can't understand why you feel as though open diffs are somehow superior.
I never said the G37X has LSDs. I said the 32 had LSDs with the attesa

Regarding G's: I don’t have an X, but I know an X would annihilate my RWD G in a corner with both Stigs behind the wheel. Just don’t know why you think a little more weight on a car makes it's handling worse. An S won’t make you any faster than a journey or a base, and to add to that an S won’t make you a better driver. An X is just 200 pounds heavier, it's not that big of a difference. I do like how it feels more planted and like it's on rails compared to my RWD model, so you can chuck the X at any corner and it will power through. And at the “more seat time” comment. I mean really? 330 hp is enough to spin out regardless if you’ve got the “seat time.” C’mon man don’t try to make it seem like you’re a Schumacher cause from my view it seems someone’s taking a forum too seriously

Now, back to the topic at hand Yes, an M56 (especially an X) will outperform an M30d, M35h, and M37 by a massive margin, not only on the straight roads that everyone in the US is obsessed about but on windy circuit roads. With the nose heaviness, I don’t feel it. 150lb engine difference, nothing major. I don’t know where everyone is getting how an M37 feels better, it just feels too weak for such a big car as the M in my opinion. One of the main things I feel the VQ37 lacks is torque, whereas the VK56 has a lot of torque to blast the M to Mars. I feel people who say they had to choose between an M56 and M37 and chose the 37 because of the handling are using it as an excuse since they can’t find an M56 or can’t afford one. Someone mentioned that articles said the 3.7 was better handling, my goodness the car reviewers are dumb as hell. Most car reviewers nowadays are schmucks, worrying about infotainment systems and the car’s 0-60. Wouldn’t be surprised they liked the G25 than G37 because of better “weight distribution”

Didn't mean no disrespect, but why are we both arguing on an internet forum? We both agreed the M56 is a better choice We're basically wasting valuable time arguing about weight distribution cause our opinions about weight and suspension are different. I just personally find the S trim for G's a waste of the extra money, except if you're going for the manual transmission. The Journey and X are both stiff enough for me, and I don't think sportier suspension parts will increase my driving skills. But that's just me.

Last edited by Joyryde; 04-17-2019 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Wanted to add beer emoji.
The following users liked this post:
wannabetoughguy (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 08:30 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
It's a forum..this is where you do this type of thing. We are debating, hardly arguing and I've enjoyed the back and forth. No feelings hurt here, I'd still shake your hand.

But...

You're contradicting yourself like crazy and making statements about a car's behavior, that you don't own, as though it's a proven truth. In fact, you couldn't be more wrong. I have an X model, and I have 90k miles on that car. I'm by no means a pro driver but I have spent time at Summit (WV) and have EVOC courses under my belt. I believe that elevates my capabilities slightly compared to the average driver. I have a pretty good understanding as to how the X handles and behaves in cornering; both stock and modified. The body roll in them is scary in stock form when you come into a corner too hard. It wasn't until I installed coil overs (on top of the RSB) that I really started to have confidence in pushing it. Even then, I can't wait to see what 255 tires at all four corners will do for it.

The 5.6 is the more unique car and would be a lot of fun with simply an exhaust tweak. The after market is there for the 3.7 but in a car that size, the 5.6 seems more fitting. The 3.7 probably does handle better but the 5.6 would be hard to pass up. I'm sure a lot of guys on this forum would have jumped at the chance to get a 5.6 in their G37 if it was offered; despite any compromises to the handling characteristics.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:12 AM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
End of the day, fixing suspension geometry to make the car handle is going to be easier and cheaper (normally) then switching a 3.7 to a 5.6. Now a 5.6 offered in the G chassis; sign me up.

I personally have liked you twos back and forth. Given me something to read and laugh at during a crap week.
The following 2 users liked this post by zer099:
ngolbuff (04-19-2019), SkysG37 (10-25-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 07:36 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Glad to be of service.

If I was a relaxed individual who did a lot of highway cruising and was looking for something just to chill and relax in, the 5.6 would be the golden ticket. Knowing that I'm a spaz and can go from enjoying a nice cruise to becoming bored and feel the desire to rip into some back roads, the G37 was a great fit.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:39 PM
Joyryde
Banned

I wish they made the G sedans with a VK50VE or a VK56VD. Those would outsell Jaguar XFs by a large margin. Hell, I'm really considering swapping in a VK50 or VK56 into my G37 because I really hate the low amounts of torque the VQ makes compared to my M56. The throttle response with the M56 is astonishingly better than the G37. Almost feels like it's a throttle by cable at points when you just mash the pedal and get the whole load all at once. Don't know if it's got to do with the VQs ECU that cause it to be more sluggish. But, I will say the G37 looks a little better than the M37/M56/Q70 in my opinion. Anyone here know if the M37 and M56 use the same transmission? If so, that might be not that bad of a swap except for the motor mounts and a special tune. Would be ideal with the 6mt from the 370Z/G37. and would sound beastly compared to the V6s trombone type sound. Chris Forseberg swapped a VK56 into his 370Z and M45, so it is possible.

Last edited by Joyryde; 10-25-2019 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Don't want to bash on the Gs.
SkysG37 (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Joyryde
I wish they made the G sedans with a VK50VE or a VK56VD. Those would outsell Jaguar XFs by a large margin. Hell, I'm really considering swapping in a VK50 or VK56 into my G37 because I really hate the low amounts of torque the VQ makes compared to my M56. The throttle response with the M56 is astonishingly better than the G37. Almost feels like it's a throttle by cable at points when you just mash the pedal and get the whole load all at once. Don't know if it's got to do with the VQs ECU that cause it to be more sluggish. But, I will say the G37 looks a little better than the M37/M56/Q70 in my opinion. Anyone here know if the M37 and M56 use the same transmission? If so, that might be not that bad of a swap except for the motor mounts and a special tune. Would be ideal with the 6mt from the 370Z/G37. and would sound beastly compared to the V6s trombone type sound. Chris Forseberg swapped a VK56 into his 370Z and M45, so it is possible.
Man, there's barely enough room under the hood of a G37 for the VQ37VHR. I agree, though, the G37 would be a blast with a V-8 under the hood. Low-end grunt is far more usable in daily driving situations than high-rpm power.
SkysG37 (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 03:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Selym
Low-end grunt is far more usable in daily driving situations than high-rpm power.
Exactly. And precisely the rationale for getting shorter rear gears in my G.

You know, this was a relatively good read. I've always had a back-up plan interest in the M56. I like the idea of Infiniti luxury in a full-sized sedan with a big V8. Every now and than I find myself researching the M, as one of the answers to the question: What would you get if your G got totaled? Thing is, I could never warm up to the overall styling of the recent M-class Infiniti. The previous M, sure, but not the current one.

Anyway, good read.

Old 10-26-2019, 03:38 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Selym, I just went out and measured both my M56's engine and the G37's engine for fun and experimentation (they are rough estimates of what I could measure with a tape measure). VK56VD dimensions (width x length): 25-26 in x 25 in. VQ37VHR dimensions (width x length): 22-23 in x 21-22 in. I measured the whole available space and there is around 28-29 inches of space in the G37 engine bay between both strut towers. It would probably be a tight fit, but seems possible. I don't know which motor mounts would be needed though,and I'd assume the fire wall would have to go to shove the motor more towards the middle which would mean that the little walls that surround the battery and the brake fluid reservoir. I'm actually really considering doing this sort of project in the future.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Exactly. And precisely the rationale for getting shorter rear gears in my G.

You know, this was a relatively good read. I've always had a back-up plan interest in the M56. I like the idea of Infiniti luxury in a full-sized sedan with a big V8. Every now and than I find myself researching the M, as one of the answers to the question: What would you get if your G got totaled? Thing is, I could never warm up to the overall styling of the recent M-class Infiniti. The previous M, sure, but not the current one.

Anyway, good read.
I love the looks of the Y50 generation a lot. It has aged really well. The problem for me with those models with the V8s is that it didn't produce that much power. I don't know if they had it tuned for fuel economy or emission standards, but they had the same power as a stock G37, but with more torque. Chris Forsberg, like I mentioned before, swapped in a VK56 into his Y50. I also just did a little bit more research on the VKs, and it turns out the VK56 can achieve 800 HP without any sort of forced induction while still being reliable, which is a really good thing. I will say though, I really dislike how they redesigned the M56 when they changed the name to "Q70" resulting in a new front end and rear end look. Now the front looks like a fat Q50 and the rear looks like something off a Korean car.

Last edited by Joyryde; 10-26-2019 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Estimates are rough, not exact.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Maybe because this conversation was fresh in my head, but this morning I took notice of a Q70 that was in the parking lot at our early-voting location. And I'm just not feeling it.

On paper, the Q70 5.6 AWD really speaks to me, but in person it just looks meh.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:29 PM
Bonez_850FL
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I passed on an opportunity to buy an M56S a couple years ago and I regret it to this day A big-body Infiniti V8 w/ Akebono brakes is a super rare find!
Joyryde (11-08-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 05:30 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by Bonez_850FL
I passed on an opportunity to buy an M56S a couple years ago and I regret it to this day A big-body Infiniti V8 w/ Akebono brakes is a super rare find!
They're a really good buy right now. The S trim is the only one that comes with the big brakes, but I believe that the Akebonos can fit with the X and base rims as well. It's just hard to find one since many of them were enjoyed (really high miles) and all of them are scattered throughout the US. They are really that good of a car where you can enjoy the hell out of it, and the motor sounds a hell of a lot better and is more reliable than the VQ from my experience of owning a G37 and an M56. Plus that coca cola bottle curves is just gorgeous.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:36 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Well, the M/Q70 just bit the dust. Infiniti is pulling them out of the production line. A pity really. I don't like the Q50/Q60 since it's just a mess in my opinion with no soul and too much electronics. What will replace the Q70? Who knows. I just hope it isn't some electric/hybrid bull sh*t. Infiniti should have never went back to the Q badge format, since the whole line up in confusing. The CEO is mentioning that a new crossover might be imminent. Really pathetic honestly, since the company is just a supplier of SUVs/Crossovers for soccer moms.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:21 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
So now do you think this will make the current ones on the road worth more or less since there will not be any new models or remakes?
Old 12-13-2019, 09:44 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Not entirely sure to be honest. Not a lot of people know of the M56, since there weren't many made compared to the M37s. Ms in general with around 50,000 being sold in the US compared to the G's 410,000. On top of that, there are quite a few Ms/Q70s that were involved in accidents and no longer on the roads. I don't think they'll change in price from what they are selling for currently for a while, since you don't know what to expect in the future. I see a lot of foreign buyers are scooping up the M56 now since they have depreciated, and there's not many for sale in general similar to Lexus' ISF V8 models and the GS430 that people are just keeping because they are that good. One of the best cars I've owned and will keep it forever.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:53 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Joyryde
Not entirely sure to be honest. Not a lot of people know of the M56, since there weren't many made compared to the M37s. Ms in general with around 50,000 being sold in the US compared to the G's 410,000. On top of that, there are quite a few Ms/Q70s that were involved in accidents and no longer on the roads. I don't think they'll change in price from what they are selling for currently for a while, since you don't know what to expect in the future. I see a lot of foreign buyers are scooping up the M56 now since they have depreciated, and there's not many for sale in general similar to Lexus' ISF V8 models and the GS430 that people are just keeping because they are that good. One of the best cars I've owned and will keep it forever.
I didn't realize the M numbers were that low in the U.S. Not wishing anything bad upon myself, but with all the bad drivers out there, if something were to happen to my G37x (which I love) M56x would be my next replacement due to larger motor and rarity

Quick Reply: M56 vs M37