The M - Spot General discussion for the M35/M45

M56 vs M37

Old 08-04-2018, 05:15 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
M56 vs M37

Wanted to ask which one would you choose if you had a choice. Any color, trim, etc. Would you go with the M37 or the M56? The 3.7 liter V6 or the 5.6 liter V8?

I'd personally go with the 5.6 variant since you don't see them too often and they're kind of like unicorns. Not a lot of people know about them either. Like they say there's no replacement for displacement!
Old 08-05-2018, 09:18 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
M56 for the uniqueness of it and the thing sounds like a T-rex with a muffler delete.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:01 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
M56 for sure!
Old 08-20-2018, 12:14 PM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Everything I read is that performance-wise you're better off overall with the 3.7. The 5.6 though has more power and though quick is not much quicker but considerably more nose-heavy. I'm more a performance person so I'd want it to handle well. I agree though that the 5.6 is rare and not well known about.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:21 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by r2dmax
Everything I read is that performance-wise you're better off overall with the 3.7. The 5.6 though has more power and though quick is not much quicker but considerably more nose-heavy. I'm more a performance person so I'd want it to handle well. I agree though that the 5.6 is rare and not well known about.
I'm right there with you but assuming the most you do is bolt-ons, the 3.7 isn't going to be quicker; and if it is it'll be negligible. The 5.6 is rated at 400hp and tq so the muscle is there. That said, the 3.7 is probably the more high revving motor if the 5.7 is tuned like it is in the Titan. Regardless, custom exhaust on the 5.6 sounds awesome and it has all the straight line power you'd need. If OP goes with (or went with) this, just realize, as you mentioned, it's going to be heavy up front.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:04 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Yes, when I was looking for my M, several articles I read said they liked the way the 3.7 felt over the 5.6. The 5.6 just felt to heavy and that the 3.7 was plenty of engine for the type of car it is. Maybe a compromise would be get the hybrid. That configuration has some pretty decent 0-60 numbers for a heavy 4 door sedan.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:57 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by RMB5190
I'm right there with you but assuming the most you do is bolt-ons, the 3.7 isn't going to be quicker; and if it is it'll be negligible. The 5.6 is rated at 400hp and tq so the muscle is there. That said, the 3.7 is probably the more high revving motor if the 5.7 is tuned like it is in the Titan. Regardless, custom exhaust on the 5.6 sounds awesome and it has all the straight line power you'd need. If OP goes with (or went with) this, just realize, as you mentioned, it's going to be heavy up front.
You guys got to be kidding me with the weight distribution. None of you will be taking it to a circuit track, Jesus Christ everyone thinks the change of weight distribution will make them a Michael Schumacher It's not that big of a difference with the 37 being 54/46 and the 56 being 56/44. In my opinion the only reason I see a lot of people in the M37s instead of the M56s is because they can't find an M56 or can't afford an M56. The M37 just seems like an over sized G37 and not that sporty. The M56 felt just how an M is supposed to feel like, a big rocket ship that'll take me to Mars. The VK56 in the M56 has 420 HP with 417 lb/ft of torque as opposed to the QX80/QX56 VK56 which is tuned to 400 hp and 413 lb/ft torque. The hybrids are not worth it unless you REALLY care that much about the environment and 0-60, however the service on those hybrids are a PITA especially when the lithium batteries do eventually break down.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:16 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Joyryde
You guys got to be kidding me with the weight distribution. None of you will be taking it to a circuit track, Jesus Christ everyone thinks the change of weight distribution will make them a Michael Schumacher It's not that big of a difference with the 37 being 54/46 and the 56 being 56/44. In my opinion the only reason I see a lot of people in the M37s instead of the M56s is because they can't find an M56 or can't afford an M56. The M37 just seems like an over sized G37 and not that sporty. The M56 felt just how an M is supposed to feel like, a big rocket ship that'll take me to Mars. The VK56 in the M56 has 420 HP with 417 lb/ft of torque as opposed to the QX80/QX56 VK56 which is tuned to 400 hp and 413 lb/ft torque. The hybrids are not worth it unless you REALLY care that much about the environment and 0-60, however the service on those hybrids are a PITA especially when the lithium batteries do eventually break down.
200+ pds up front will in fact make a difference in the handling characteristics of a car...regardless of your driving style.

Take a stock G37 RWD coupe around a corner at 10+ the speed limit then do the same in the x model and tell me you don't approach that corner differently...
Old 04-17-2019, 11:11 AM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Take a stock G37 RWD coupe around a corner at 10+ the speed limit then do the same in the x model and tell me you don't approach that corner differently...
I don't, my AWD kicks that corner's butt. So I guess I do approach it different, with more confidence and ability to hold the line. Oh, you said stock... whatever that means.

M56x all day. I actually see two on my way into work pretty often. I still like the G styling more, but would love that engine.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Joyryde
Banned

200+ pds up front will in fact make a difference in the handling characteristics of a car...regardless of your driving style.

Yes, you can throw an X into corners much better than an RWD model because of the atessa system, regardless if the front is a little bit heavier than a RWD model.

Just cause you have a slightly better weight distribution won’t make the car feel anymore balanced or any faster. It’s all about the drivers skill, so don’t try and kid yourself you’ll be the next Senna with a better 54-46 distribution than 56-44. Better yet learn how to drive if it’s a such big deal.

Now if the feeling is a big deal, then it’s worth it to change the suspension a bit so it handles better. Maybe make it feel more planted. The Skyline R32s weren’t 50-50, more like 59-41 and smoked the **** out of perfect 50-50 machines like the RX-7, both in stock form. I thought you guys were joking about the weight distribution but now that you guys confirm it’s a big deal I’m kind of interested to know what you guys are feeding on
Old 04-17-2019, 11:31 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
My vote is for the 5.6 liter V8 but maybe thats just me...the M(now Q70) in long wheelbase form is #3 on my list of 3 potential replacements for my G so I've looked at them closely...for me the 3.5/3.7 L VQ is fine for the G chassis but it would feel way under power for me in the Q70 chassis... from what I can tell the aftermarket sucks compared to the G/Z cars but you can get better sway bars which should help with the handling...but even with suspension tweaks I found the steering to be too soft to really want to take it around corners really aggressively (Mind you I'm talking about the Q70L which is longer and even less suited to corner carving) its more of a comfortable cruiser with a nice punch when you want it
Old 04-17-2019, 01:05 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Have you ever driven the X? It has body roll like a pig and under steers something horrid. Sway bars, rubber and, at the minimum, springs are required before it has any resemblance of neutrality. I think your glamorizing the AWD capabilities a bit much in your R32 example; the G37x has almost 1k pds on the R32....Not to mention its suspension is no where near the race oriented R32...

The X also has open differentials at both ends, not an LSD like the RWD S Coupe. In stock form, the RWD coupe is the better handling of the two when it comes to any type of fair weather driving. 'Driver mod' has nothing to do with it. You put equally talented drivers in those cars and the sport oriented RWD coupe will out perform the X.

Edit: Think about what you're saying for a second....A g37 coupe (and 6MT Sedan for that matter) is basically a dressed up Z car. Do you really think the non-sport oriented, toned down, family sedan version of the G37 is actually a better handling car than the sport/track focused 370z?

Last edited by RMB5190; 04-17-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:04 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Have you ever driven the X? It has body roll like a pig and under steers something horrid. Sway bars, rubber and, at the minimum, springs are required before it has any resemblance of neutrality. I think your glamorizing the AWD capabilities a bit much in your R32 example; the G37x has almost 1k pds on the R32....Not to mention its suspension is no where near the race oriented R32...

The X also has open differentials at both ends, not an LSD like the RWD S Coupe. In stock form, the RWD coupe is the better handling of the two when it comes to any type of fair weather driving. 'Driver mod' has nothing to do with it. You put equally talented drivers in those cars and the sport oriented RWD coupe will out perform the X.

Edit: Think about what you're saying for a second....A g37 coupe (and 6MT Sedan for that matter) is basically a dressed up Z car. Do you really think the non-sport oriented, toned down, family sedan version of the G37 is actually a better handling car than the sport/track focused 370z?
X feels more planted around the corners and you can floor it around while with a RWD you can spin out if you give it the beans.

VK56VD is 496 lb and the VQ37VHR is 350lb. About 150lb difference. Why do you guys care so much about weight distribution when most American males weigh around 200 lbs? If people are concerned about the weight distribution being messed up then they got to get off the forums and lose some weight and then get the 5.6.

The S trim is basically dealer marketing that only comes with a slightly tougher suspension and bigger brakes which aren’t necessary since you can still take corners with a journey easily. The LSD is more focused for a track car not a street car where you won’t be taking corners like a formula 1 car. No extra horsepower from the S, kind of like a Corolla S. I barely felt a difference when I drove an S and a Journey, almost felt the same with the S having a slightly more bumpy ride. Cool bumpers on them though. Don’t understand the praise of an LSD for daily driving, but can’t lie that they are fun when going around tracks.

Please tell me you’re joking how a RWD model can outperform an X model. The all wheel drive system just grabs onto the road like there’s no tomorrow. If you think an LSD on a RWD can outperform and open diff AWD that’s crazy talk. In real world driving, not Nurburgring style, you can very much throw the X model into any corner with full throttle and it will take it like a champ with or without an LSD. A RWD model, S or not S, is more difficult cause you can spin out with full throttle even with less weight compared to the X.

And the R32 had inferior suspension with a lot of body roll but still beat a lot of lower weight, 50-50 weight cars. And the weight difference is about a 600-650 lb compared to a G37X, not a thousand. Also good to remember the chassis is more stiff in the G37 than an R32. Same exact AWD but the 32 came with LSDs.

Now if they put the VK56 into the G, that would be awesome. G56
The following users liked this post:
wannabetoughguy (04-18-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 02:26 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
I will agree with RMB5190 as long as we are talking stock. The second you look at modifying both drive-line and suspension in the two the X will outperform. Brake limited slip with mechanical LSD and an apples to apples suspension upgrade for the two and the X will outperform.

The X is only 214 pounds more than the non-X and that weight is low down, 50% behind the front axle, and 50% at it; it's not that bad. The fact that it was set up as a winter northern warrior is why it handles like crap from the factory, IMO.

EDIT ADD: "A g37 coupe (and 6MT Sedan for that matter) is basically a dressed up Z car." LOL, if we are calling 319lbs dressed up then the G37x is a tarted up harlot version of the G37.

Last edited by zer099; 04-17-2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason: added fun
Old 04-17-2019, 02:33 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

X feels more planted around the corners and you can floor it around while with a RWD you can spin out if you give it the beans.

VK56VD is 496 lb and the VQ37VHR is 350lb. About 150lb difference. Why do you guys care so much about weight distribution when most American males weigh around 200 lbs? If people are concerned about the weight distribution being messed up then they got to get off the forums and lose some weight and then get the 5.6.
Cling to the road?! The car has the OEM spring rate of a marshmallow and the RSB is pencil thin. That 'grip' is those open diffs slowing you down, not pushing you through the corner. The LSD is hands down the better spirited driving or track set-up. The only time the X will outshine is in bad weather....If the RWD will spin out then the understeer of the X will leave you plowing into oncoming traffic.

The S trim is basically dealer marketing that only comes with a slightly tougher suspension and bigger brakes which aren’t necessary since you can still take corners with a journey easily. The LSD is more focused for a track car not a street car where you won’t be taking corners like a formula 1 car. No extra horsepower from the S, kind of like a Corolla S. I barely felt a difference when I drove an S and a Journey, almost felt the same with the S having a slightly more bumpy ride. Cool bumpers on them though. Don’t understand the praise of an LSD for daily driving, but can’t lie that they are fun when going around tracks.
Brakes, suspension, tighter steering rack ratio...you know, stuff that improves handling..that's all. LSDs are better in every single driving scenario except for inclement weather. Even then, skilled driver's prefer the power delivery vs. the power pull. Most people aren't skilled drivers, hence, open differentials...Perhaps you weren't able to use the benefits because your limitations as a driver prohibited it? I don't mean it as an insult but if you didn't recognize the benefits then you simply weren't driving the car anywhere near its capabilities.

Please tell me you’re joking how a RWD model can outperform an X model. The all wheel drive system just grabs onto the road like there’s no tomorrow. If you think an LSD on a RWD can outperform and open diff AWD that’s crazy talk. In real world driving, not Nurburgring style, you can very much throw the X model into any corner with full throttle and it will take it like a champ with or without an LSD. A RWD model, S or not S, is more difficult cause you can spin out with full throttle even with less weight compared to the X.
My man, you're making the X sound like it's a Evo X AWD monster when it simply isn't. In real world driving, the RWD coupe has the better suspension set-up, rubber, and weight distribution. You can absolutely NOT throw the X into a corner and have it 'take it like a champ' I have done so and it's not a good time. Only after coilovers, and a thicker RSB (ask me what from...) did that car become fun to throw around. Even then, rubber is a limitation. If you're able to spin out with 330HP and a near perfect weight distribution then you need more seat time.

And the R32 had inferior suspension with a lot of body roll but still beat a lot of lower weight, 50-50 weight cars. And the weight difference is about a 600-650 lb compared to a G37X, not a thousand. Also good to remember the chassis is more stiff in the G37 than an R32. Same exact AWD but the 32 came with LSDs.
Dude, the X doesn't have the LSDs and that makes all the difference. How are you gonna spit nonsense about how LSDs are inferior or not needed then glaze over the small difference in bold.... I just can't understand why you feel as though open diffs are somehow superior.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: M56 vs M37