The M - Spot General discussion for the M35/M45

Dealer installed remote start available in Japan?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:28 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer installed remote start available in Japan?

I was looking at the Fuga (what the M is called in Japan) on the Nissan Japanese website and I noticed that a remote starter seems to be a dealer installed option. It lists the price at 61,000 Yen ($700 USD). I wonder if the North American cars have the wiring infrastructre in place and if you could just order the module and have it installed.

Dealer installed remote start available in Japan?-w5tsj.png

Dealer installed remote start available in Japan?-50a48.png
Old 03-14-2010, 03:21 AM
Dieseldoug22

That's awesome. Is there a way to email the dealer and see if it is transferable?
Old 03-14-2010, 02:23 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dieseldoug22
That's awesome. Is there a way to email the dealer and see if it is transferable?
I doubt they'd know. I do know that Nissan parts numbers are the same around the world and you can order any part anywhere.

I think the best bet would be to see if the installation manual could be found somewhere. It would be in Japanese but the wiring schematics would be readible (I think).

However, I just realized that since it's not made for sale in North America it wouldn't be FCC / Industry Canada approved and would therefore be illegal. So this might be something you have to do yourself or get some small shop to do.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:55 PM
mexillis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why not just buy the Viper remote start? A couple M owners have this done already and the price with parts and install came out to 700( depending on what system u get) or so from what i remember. It was done at Best Buy but Im sure if you arent comfortable with them installing it you can just buy what you need and go somewhere else.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I doubt they'd know. I do know that Nissan parts numbers are the same around the world and you can order any part anywhere.

I think the best bet would be to see if the installation manual could be found somewhere. It would be in Japanese but the wiring schematics would be readible (I think).

However, I just realized that since it's not made for sale in North America it wouldn't be FCC / Industry Canada approved and would therefore be illegal. So this might be something you have to do yourself or get some small shop to do.
John, there was a Japanese guy who posted his coupe about 2 weeks ago. It had some kind of electric or pneumatic suspension anyway maybe he would be able to help since he knows some English? I love this digital remote.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:39 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mexillis
why not just buy the Viper remote start? A couple M owners have this done already and the price with parts and install came out to 700( depending on what system u get) or so from what i remember. It was done at Best Buy but Im sure if you arent comfortable with them installing it you can just buy what you need and go somewhere else.
The issue with those is they are all work around for the "intelligent key" system. You have to put a second ikey into a box that hooks into the system or program the system with your ikey code; it defeats some of the security features of the ikey system. Also, there are countless reports of people who use these 3rd party systems having random electrical glitches or being locked out of their car.

This system is designed by Nissan to work with their cars without any "cheating" of the ikey system.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:44 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

After looking around on the Nissan Japan site, it seems that the remote starter is available for almost ever Nissan vehicle, including the G37 (Skyline).

I cross posted this in the electronics section; hopefully it'll get more eyes that way.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Mysticalism

yea, its awesome, i wonder if it could be install into our system, i'll love to have the system

also do you think it sense break-ins?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:05 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

I found a guy who actually bought the unit.

First to buy factory Nissan Remote Start for 370Z!! - Nissan 370Z Forum

Basically it's a "plug and play" unit like the illuminated kick plates, however, the wiring harnesses don't match up even though you can plug it in. The guy couldn't find anyone willing to play around with the system so he sold it. So it *may* work but chances are it wouldn't.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:28 PM
kosstick

dedication bro lol. It would be awesome if we could get this up and running
Old 09-22-2010, 07:19 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kosstick
dedication bro lol. It would be awesome if we could get this up and running
Yeah, it's just a matter of finding an installer who's willing to spend some time and figure out the wiring.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:27 AM
kosstick

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Yeah, it's just a matter of finding an installer who's willing to spend some time and figure out the wiring.
I don't see why they can't whats the worse that can happen if they use a US compatible harness?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:55 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
wow that will definitely be a nice option from the factory... but at least they have the new 2011 M's and QX's already out before release of the new models to have the remote start available from a vendor
Old 09-25-2010, 02:27 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kosstick
I don't see why they can't whats the worse that can happen if they use a US compatible harness?
It could fry your entire electrical system.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:33 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by da mayor
wow that will definitely be a nice option from the factory... but at least they have the new 2011 M's and QX's already out before release of the new models to have the remote start available from a vendor
The Leaf is supposed to come with a cellular radio and there's supposed to be an iPhone app available that'll allow you to control the HVAC system and rear defogger. That would be awesome if something like that was extended to the entire Nissan or at least Infiniti line. However, I realize that as an electrical car the Leaf can run it various systems solely off battery power. A vehicle with an intewrnal combustion engine would require the engine to be started first which can lead to potential libality issues; although Toyota and Honda/Acura have OEM remote starters available for their cars.

I like the idea of having a smartphone app remote starter (like the Viper Smart Start) since it means one less thing in my pocket.