Notices

Exhaust Fumes

Old 07-01-2019, 12:27 PM
sLADe781

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Exhaust Fumes

Not really sure where to put this question so I figured I'd stick it in the off topic section...

Anyways, I'm aware of the dangers of exhaust fumes entering into the house from cars and am trying to figure out the best practice to keep me and my family safe when I start my car in the mornings. IE, I park my car in my garage and when I start my car in the morning, I back it out right away but there is a lingering smell in the garage regardless due to the start up. I tend to warm my car up in the mornings before driving off so I'm wondering if leaving the garage door open to air out the fumes while I'm warming up my car is a safer practice? Or would additional fumes from the exhaust during the warmup be more dangerous since it could/would enter the garage/house so the door should be closed right upon me exiting?

What are you guys' thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:39 PM
kevindan123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car has crazy exhaust fews too. I personally just start in up and back out and warm up out side away form the garage.

Interesting post.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:51 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 665 Likes on 588 Posts
It takes a lot of exhaust to generate enough CO to incapacitate anyone*. The molecules creating odors in your exhaust are MUCH more prevalent than the CO. It doesn't take long for the exhaust molecules to disperse into the surrounding atmosphere, anyway.**

You're being too paranoid about this.

*A family member took his life this way. He spent several hours in an enclosed garage, even then he was found alive but was too brain-damaged to recover.
** Two years of college level chemistry was been very helpful. 27 years working in the refining business was too.