Go Back  MyG37 > The Lounge OT > The Lounge (Off Topic)
Reload this Page >

No more manual trannys, what will you get next?

Notices

No more manual trannys, what will you get next?

Old 04-10-2019, 08:11 PM
jcbone

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat? View Post
i kinda wonder if the guys who exclusively like to drive autos are a little relieved now that they dont have to keep justifying why they chose an auto lol.
that's funny lol. To each their own but there's just nothing like 3 pedals and smashing thru gears. I understand technology has come a long way for automatics with how fast they can shift etc.
It's just something about driving a manual though. My friend just got a G37 coupe a few weeks ago and he let me drive it to see how it compares to my 6MT and it's a big difference to me. The automatic felt sluggish and unsure of when to shift even in the manual mode when you can switch the gears yourself by hitting left or right. Way too much lag where I'd probably just leave it in normal automatic mode lol. When I got back into my car I was so happy to drive the 6MT again. Save the manuals!
The following users liked this post: jcbone
gill1606 (04-14-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 12:57 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Liked 607 Times in 536 Posts
I REALLY enjoy double-clutch rev-matching down-shifts. Seriously.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:29 AM
Infinibini

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Smash it into gear and go!
Old 04-11-2019, 11:10 AM
RMB5190

Liked 270 Times in 242 Posts
The 7AT JATCO in the G is kind of a poor comparison if you're going to compare auto boxes to a manual. A PDK or DSG are two of the best auto/dual clutches on the market and the 10 speed in the Mustang and ZF 8 speed are no joke either.

I have separate cars with both units and the situation dictates which one I'd rather have. Sitting in 35 miles of stop and go traffic everyday doesn't make me wish I was rowing gears...but if I'm not putting a ton of miles on the car or only doing a small amount of driving then a manual can be a rewarding experience. While it's definitely a more engaging drive, manuals are obsolete and the average consumer isn't buying them; is what it is.

I'd recommend getting used to not owning a manual; the market looks like they'll be completely phased out in the next 10 years give or take. Or, you can pick up old units that will more than likely be trashed or severely overpriced. Tough pill to swallow for enthusiasts but your hobby will have to adapt with the inevitable changes or it will drive you to no longer enjoy it.

Luckily, you can enjoy it for the foreseeable future. Electric cars are going to be the death of having an auto hobby. Modding will be nothing more than purchasing software....fun.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:12 AM
Infinibini

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190 View Post
The 7AT JATCO in the G is kind of a poor comparison if you're going to compare auto boxes to a manual. A PDK or DSG are two of the best auto/dual clutches on the market and the 10 speed in the Mustang and ZF 8 speed are no joke either.

I have separate cars with both units and the situation dictates which one I'd rather have. Sitting in 35 miles of stop and go traffic everyday doesn't make me wish I was rowing gears...but if I'm not putting a ton of miles on the car or only doing a small amount of driving then a manual can be a rewarding experience. While it's definitely a more engaging drive, manuals are obsolete and the average consumer isn't buying them; is what it is.

I'd recommend getting used to not owning a manual; the market looks like they'll be completely phased out in the next 10 years give or take. Or, you can pick up old units that will more than likely be trashed or severely overpriced. Tough pill to swallow for enthusiasts but your hobby will have to adapt with the inevitable changes or it will drive you to no longer enjoy it.

Luckily, you can enjoy it for the foreseeable future. Electric cars are going to be the death of having an auto hobby. Modding will be nothing more than purchasing software....fun.
I'll see you in 10 years. I promise you are wrong.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:54 AM
ILM-NC G37S

Liked 138 Times in 124 Posts
I blame the demise of the MT on two things: all this nanny technology and people's inherent laziness. Ten years from now (potentially) self-driving cars will take over and people can devote even more face time to their idiot devices. Just my thoughts...
Old 04-11-2019, 11:54 AM
Infinibini

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S View Post
I blame the demise of the MT on two things: all this nanny technology and people's inherent laziness. Ten years from now (potentially) self-driving cars will take over and people can devote even more face time to their idiot devices.
In the UK and Japan stick shifts are wildly popular. I guess we will have to import our cars.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:16 PM
RMB5190

Market trends disagree but it's good to dream...

I hope you're right.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:05 PM
saywat?

Liked 229 Times in 204 Posts
lets not turn this into an auto vs manual debate and people rehashing the same rebuttals from years ago, it gets tiring to read, and get this thread closed. we have enough of those threads in the forum lol.

with that said i refuse to drive a rental american sports car i see all over my area or any american car. im thinking i may go backwards if i can find a clean hr 350z
Old 04-11-2019, 02:52 PM
RMB5190

It's not, just pointing out the inevitable. I won't disagree that a manual is a more enjoyable experience.

I'm leaning B8.5 S4. Reliable motor, subtle looks, AWD, sport LSD. Tons of modding potential and video DIY/walkthroughs. Sounds like a good time.

I'd love to consider a two seat vehicle but with plans of a family it just doesn't make it a viable option.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:21 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Liked 607 Times in 536 Posts
Originally Posted by Infinibini View Post
Smash it into gear and go!
A sure-fire recipe for spinning off the track. And hard on synchros.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:36 PM
Infinibini

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
A sure-fire recipe for spinning off the track. And hard on synchros.
It's worth it!!
Old 04-17-2019, 04:23 PM
gill1606

Liked 58 Times in 50 Posts
manual transmission will defintely go up in price in the future, as manufacturers switch to more electrical componenets, autonomus driving, manuals simply cant keep up with the trends that the automotive industry is following at the present moment. Therefore, thre manufacturing will also go down, which means the only options would be to convert AT to MT, or buy an older MT car.

Like how carbeurators were phased out by electrical injection and then they developed direct injection, carberated cars just dont exist anymore unless you go antique, and that is what may happen to manual cars as well. if you do have a 6mt G35 or G37 you might have a modern antique on your hands down the line.
Old Yesterday, 01:02 AM
deepblue3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thereíre definitely options, just limited options.
The muscle cars still come with manuals and they sound and handle well now days.
Not a lot of sedan options though but there is the chevy ss and the ats-v.
note Iím excluding the 4 cyl turbo cars because they just canít match the sound of a v6.

Thatís why I hope to never sell my 6mt sedan that Iíll be buying in 2 days.
Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM
RMB5190

Originally Posted by deepblue3 View Post
Thereíre definitely options, just limited options.
The muscle cars still come with manuals and they sound and handle well now days.
Not a lot of sedan options though but there is the chevy ss and the ats-v.
note Iím excluding the 4 cyl turbo cars because they just canít match the sound of a v6.

Thatís why I hope to never sell my 6mt sedan that Iíll be buying in 2 days.
I'd be going nuts waiting for the next 48 hrs. Part of me is leaning towards picking up a 6MT and going all out with modifications vs. picking up something new.

With the market leaning towards SUVs less and less emphases is being placed on Sedans unfortunately. Anytime I get an itch to look into a Dodge, Ford or Chevy I see 10+ on my drive home and the interest is gone. Something about having a car that is that popular, especially in my area, just kills it for me.

Even the 4 cylinder cars give me the same feeling: WRX, STI, FoST, FiST, GTI, etc... you see so many that they're just 'eh' to me. Not to mention, any of them that I see modified all seem to be identical in their mod selections. The Veloster N is interesting but I just can't see myself in something like that or the Civic TR. Maybe the Evo X? They're pretty rare in my area but for the price of them (still) you start looking at other options and realize what else you could get for that price point. Not to mention, good luck finding a pre 2015 that isn't dogged.

The G37 was a pretty easy decision. Always wanted one in college and they aren't that popular where I'm located. Now that I'm about ready to start looking at the next purchase, I haven't been able to set my sights on anything for more than a week.