Mechanic Tool Set - MyG37

Go Back  MyG37 > The Lounge OT > The Lounge (Off Topic)
Reload this Page >

Mechanic Tool Set

Notices

Mechanic Tool Set

Old 12-11-2018, 07:08 PM
sLADe781

Mechanic Tool Set

I'm looking to get a good tool set for my garage and am having a hard time finding a set that already has a foam organizer that the tools can go back into to help keep it organized. I already have the drawers, I just need the tools with the foam padding.

My drawers are about 18" x 14".

Anyone have any recommendations? How does everyone else do it without spending $3k+.

I've seen some YouTube videos where people buy the pieces and cut up foam padding themselves to make the sockets, wrenches, etc etc fit but to have to cut 1000+ pieces would be insane.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:23 PM
GdaddyNY

Hi. I used to be a jet engine mechanic in the Air Force. We used to get toolboxes custom made by Snap on and Mac tools with cut foam and laser etching. Very expensive, I know, because I was the one budgeting to buy them in my squadron. We also cut the foam and made them ourselves when the budget didnít allow. Itís not as bad as it seems. Even for 1000 pieces. I am OCD about my tools, but I could care less about the foam cut outs. Why canít you just be slob like me, lol, and just have a socket drawer, pliers drawer, etc.? Are you worried about losing tools?
Old 12-11-2018, 11:41 PM
sLADe781

Originally Posted by GdaddyNY View Post
Hi. I used to be a jet engine mechanic in the Air Force. We used to get toolboxes custom made by Snap on and Mac tools with cut foam and laser etching. Very expensive, I know, because I was the one budgeting to buy them in my squadron. We also cut the foam and made them ourselves when the budget didnít allow. Itís not as bad as it seems. Even for 1000 pieces. I am OCD about my tools, but I could care less about the foam cut outs. Why canít you just be slob like me, lol, and just have a socket drawer, pliers drawer, etc.? Are you worried about losing tools?
lol - mainly cause I hate spending time looking for the right size socket. I've shared tools with my pops before and it's such a pain to spend time looking through the tool box looking for the right socket, extension, etc etc so I vowed that when it was time I got my own set it would be organized and easily accessible. lol

Which method did you use as far as cutting out the foam cutouts?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:12 AM
GdaddyNY

Thin foam on bottom in a light color and thicker foam on top. Contrasting colors help visually. Either an exacto knife or an electric hot exacto style knife will work fine for cutting foam. Just make sure you donít fill the drawers with tools completely because Iím sure you will always be adding to your tool collection. I currently have 3 toolboxes in my garage due to constantly adding tools. Maybe one day you will inspire me to get one large toolbox and cut some foam for myself