Cordless tools - MyG37

Go Back  MyG37 > The Lounge OT > The Lounge (Off Topic)
Reload this Page >

Cordless tools

Notices

Cordless tools

Old 08-23-2018, 03:07 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,206 Posts
Cordless tools

Some of you might use these professionally or have informed opinions on the subject: cordless lithium ion tools. Iíve got almost everything I might need as far as quality personal tools at home. I donít lend out my tools to anyone or use them at work. I donít use these type of tools in my profession but thereís times they are needed for something at work by me or a coworker. Theyíre going to be a nice backup and occasional use set to keep in my truck so they donít need to be the very best but not cheap junk either.

Iím loooking at brands that are readily available and that should be full featured and reliable. Not top of the line; I donít need Festool, Dewalt, Milwaukee type stuff. Iím looking at Porter Cable, Ryobi, Craftsman type tools. Iím looking to pick up a set that has a drill, impact driver, battery, charger, and maybe a few other assorted tools. Whoís got info or advice for me?
Old 08-23-2018, 03:42 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

No advice, but I recently picked up the Porter Cable drill and impact set and have no complaints.
The Following User Says Thank You to Entcee For This Useful Post:
Black Betty (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 04:03 PM
Lego_Maniac

Can you fit Rigid into your budget? The have a lifetime warranty, including batteries.

Otherwise, Ryobi, Rigid and Milwaukee are all made by the same company......
Old 08-23-2018, 04:08 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

I have heard some horror stories when people tried to actually use the Rigid lifetime warranty. Seems like they rarely honor it. YMMV
Old 08-23-2018, 04:25 PM
Lego_Maniac

Originally Posted by Entcee View Post
I have heard some horror stories when people tried to actually use the Rigid lifetime warranty. Seems like they rarely honor it. YMMV
You have to register the product within x many days....or, no warranty for you!
Old 08-23-2018, 04:29 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac View Post
You have to register the product within x many days....or, no warranty for you!
You are correct! And keep your receipt to submit with every claim, and hope that they don't deem it neglect instead of a manufacturer defect. And don't expect HD to help much (will have to ship it).
Old 08-23-2018, 04:53 PM
Lego_Maniac

Originally Posted by Entcee View Post
You are correct! And keep your receipt to submit with every claim, and hope that they don't deem it neglect instead of a manufacturer defect. And don't expect HD to help much (will have to ship it).

I thought certain HDs (the repair center ones, with tool rental) could replace on the spot. I have DeWalt tools, but always figured I'd go Rigid if they ever went bad, but after almost 15 years, they are still going strong. Lost one ni-cad battery and used that as an excuse to upgrade to Li-Ion.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:11 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac View Post
I thought certain HDs (the repair center ones, with tool rental) could replace on the spot. I have DeWalt tools, but always figured I'd go Rigid if they ever went bad, but after almost 15 years, they are still going strong. Lost one ni-cad battery and used that as an excuse to upgrade to Li-Ion.
You are probably correct about the HDs and I am sure not everyone has a bad experience, but I have seen them deny a claim saying the receipt was not sent.... but it was, and then charged for the repair. IMO it just seems like they try to get out of their warranty responsibility. However, once you have it for a while, the failure "bathtub" curve says you're likely not to need to use the warranty for a long time.

Black Betty, check out AvE on YouTube. He does tool tear-downs and explains the good and bad of the components used in the tools. Plus, he's a pretty funny guy.
Link -> AvE
The Following User Says Thank You to Entcee For This Useful Post:
Black Betty (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 05:30 PM
RMB5190

I've always been fond of Kobalt products. Cheap, reliable and decent warranty coverage.

Craftsman has been 50/50. I love my impact driver but the sockets and ratchets are garbage. I've had multiple crack in half when dealing with stubborn bolts and nuts.

My dad uses Bosch and Hitachi and they've served him great for years but their warranties are non-existent and they are more expensive than a Porter-cable or Kobalt set.
The Following User Says Thank You to RMB5190 For This Useful Post:
Black Betty (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 06:24 PM
Hashim
Super Moderator

I find that these tools are only as good/economical as the batteries, that begin said I pretty much stick to Ryobi and have never been disappointed with any of their tools and have experienced no failures plus they continuously add to the line up....I have several 2ah and 4ah batteries and they are releasing a 6 ah battery soon too...I don't use them in any trade but for home/auto use they have been steller...maybe I'm just not that tough on them or am jsut lucky...I've never even had a harbor freight power tool fail on me
Old 08-23-2018, 08:06 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Look at Makita if they offer the drives you want.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:46 PM
stealthee

Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
I find that these tools are only as good/economical as the batteries, that begin said I pretty much stick to Ryobi and have never been disappointed with any of their tools and have experienced no failures plus they continuously add to the line up....I have several 2ah and 4ah batteries and they are releasing a 6 ah battery soon too...I don't use them in any trade but for home/auto use they have been steller...maybe I'm just not that tough on them or am jsut lucky...I've never even had a harbor freight power tool fail on me
Agreed. Ryobi works well. Not only are they getting ready to release a 6ah, but also a 9ah. I've got their brushless weed eater and a blower. I plan on getting drill driver, impact driver etc. Their line is ever expanding too. My cousin has a large selection of their tools and has no complaints as of yet.

As for Harbor Freight check out the Bauer line. They keep releasing more and more tools. I don't have any of the Bauer tools, but I do have an Earthquake XT battery impact and it kicks a$$. I haven't an issue with any of my Harbor Freight tools, other than a set of needle nose vice grips that twisted easily, but they were super cheap, so meh.

Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
Look at Makita if they offer the drives you want.
He already said he doesn't need top of the line. I'd put Makita in the same boat as Dewalt and Milwaukee.
The Following User Says Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:
Black Betty (08-24-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 11:58 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

You think Makita is a top-of-the-line, does Black Betty? I have a Makita corded drill that won't die. Bought it used and made my living with it for a year. It still works 23 years later.
The Following User Says Thank You to slartibartfast For This Useful Post:
Black Betty (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 12:18 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,206 Posts
I’m a Dewalt guy. Those are my personal tools that I have that I won’t use for work I put brands like Dewalt, Makita, and Milwaukee together as a group a cut or two above the level of what I’m looking for in these tools. Thanks for all the input guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to Black Betty For This Useful Post:
slartibartfast (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 11:44 AM
rotarymike

When I used them for a living (aerospace) I used makita exclusively.

About 10 years ago my wife bought me a Porter-Cable kit that was 14.4V NiCads. Great for around the home. When those started wearing out about 3 years ago we upped to the 20v Lion. Have drill, jigsaw, and oscillating tool. IMHO the jigsaw is one of the best I've ever owned, including the old Bosch barrel type.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cordless tools

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.