Cordless tools - Page 2 - MyG37

Go Back  MyG37 > The Lounge OT > The Lounge (Off Topic)
Reload this Page >

Cordless tools

Notices

Cordless tools

Old 08-27-2018, 02:13 AM
takemorepills

At work, we are provided Hilti. Damn impressive stuff, for sure!

When I remodeled my home, my co-worker was nice enough to lend me some Festool tools. Amazing tools.

I had Ryobi stuff for a long time, I know it is considered "junk", and I agree, but it did last much longer than I anticipated.

Recently I bought a DeWalt kit at HD. Now, this may seem odd to many people, but I buy stuff with politics in mind. The DeWalt gear I bought was made in USA and the batteries/packs were made in Japan. I prefer to not buy Chinese if possible, well, I probably wouldn't buy North Korean if they made stuff either, I try not to give countries that point weapons at me my money.

The DeWalt stuff is excellent! Light battery packs, tons of power, and the tools are solid enough I feel like they could be used as a hammer in a redneck-pinch!

However, I don't generally like cordless tools, because if they go unused for a while the batteries can degrade, go long enough and the batteries will become useless long before the tools die...and before you know it the OEM is no longer making battery packs for your generation of cordless tool (I have really good Makita NiCad tools that I can't get packs for). Cordless is a "necessary evil" but I will usually buy corded tools for most types of tools. I find the DeWalt and Skil corded tools are pretty nice and usually not made in China either.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:57 AM
Lego_Maniac

Originally Posted by takemorepills View Post
However, I don't generally like cordless tools, because if they go unused for a while the batteries can degrade, go long enough and the batteries will become useless long before the tools die...and before you know it the OEM is no longer making battery packs for your generation of cordless tool (I have really good Makita NiCad tools that I can't get packs for). Cordless is a "necessary evil" but I will usually buy corded tools for most types of tools.
I dunno that I agree with you on batteries dying out like that. I purchased a DeWalt combo pack almost 15 years ago, and I'm still using 3 or the 4 batteries I originally got.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:49 PM
stealthee

Ryobi has come a long way in the last few years. It used to be junk. It's not anymore.