Go Back  MyG37 > The Lounge OT > The Lounge (Off Topic)
Reload this Page >

I thought Infiniti was supposed to be reliable

Notices

Old 01-01-2018, 12:02 AM
Fantality4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm losing faith in Infiniti. Before getting the car, I saw many people vouching for the reliability of the Infiniti brand and the G37 model.

My personal experiences say otherwise.

At 38k miles, my engine failed. Thankfully, I got it replaced under warranty but all I've heard from them is that they found sharp metal pieces in my engine and that they don't know how that happened. I recently sent them an email asking for the exact reasons for my engine failure and am still waiting to hear from them.

Alright, so that engine failure could be a rare occurrence that not many get to experience. What about the plethora of other problems that seem very common on this forums.

Loud clutch(or under-carriage) rattle happening at random intervals when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear.

High-frequency noise coming from the steering wheel or the engine bay area right in front of the driver seat whenever going at 70mph or higher speeds.

High-frequency noise driving at gear 1-4.

Also the whole fiasco of Nissan getting caught red-handed while manipulating QC data? What other data that is not known already is manipulated for my G37?

Japanese = low depreciation?

2013 G37S 6MT with EVERY option and very good condition at 40k miles = sub 20k. That's embarrassing.

PS - Have you guys seen the keys for the Q60? Same exact key fobs as ours. This company's laziness is unbelievable.

I still love my car, just needed to rant. However, I'm not lying when I say I lost faith in Infiniti.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:44 AM
Landshark

Received 179 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Fantality4 View Post

Loud clutch(or under-carriage) rattle happening at random intervals when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear.

High-frequency noise coming from the steering wheel or the engine bay area right in front of the driver seat whenever going at 70mph or higher speeds.

you bought used car and it has issues :amazed:
the PO could have red-lined it constantly and let the oil get low/never change it. i also took that gamble, but mine has been trouble-free.

i see this as a good thing - i bought a 2 year old car with 27k miles for half of what it stickered for new.

PS - Have you guys seen the keys for the Q60? Same exact key fobs as ours. This company's laziness is unbelievable.
that's a problem? really?

I still love my car, just needed to rant. However, I'm not lying when I say I lost faith in Infiniti.
go buy a used German car or Chrysler product if you really want to lose some faith.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:08 AM
Whitevanman

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
as above you don't know how the previous owner treated it.....
just unlucky I guess,
Old 01-01-2018, 10:48 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 189 Likes on 136 Posts
On my third Infiniti, and 2nd Nissan in our family. Two of them were driven over 100k miles. All of them were/have been almost problem free aside from minor issues.
The only aspect from which I am losing a little faith is that their new models do not give the same engaging driver experience that the previous generations did.

The depreciation thing is why I will not buy another Infiniti brand new. I rather let someone else take the depreciation hit. There are other risks however when buying used. But you do your best to check the service history and get a thorough checkup before you buy to try to minimize those risks as best as possible. Even if it is a CPO.
The following users liked this post:
xxg00w0 (01-02-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 12:28 PM
Epiphany

Received 152 Likes on 138 Posts
Ever car will have lemons, unfortunately you got this one. There'll be tons of Civics etc that have issues like that too.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:40 PM
llebcire

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Fantality4 View Post
I think I'm losing faith in Infiniti. Before getting the car, I saw many people vouching for the reliability of the Infiniti brand and the G37 model.

My personal experiences say otherwise.

At 38k miles, my engine failed. Thankfully, I got it replaced under warranty but all I've heard from them is that they found sharp metal pieces in my engine and that they don't know how that happened. I recently sent them an email asking for the exact reasons for my engine failure and am still waiting to hear from them.

Alright, so that engine failure could be a rare occurrence that not many get to experience. What about the plethora of other problems that seem very common on this forums.

Also the whole fiasco of Nissan getting caught red-handed while manipulating QC data? What other data that is not known already is manipulated for my G37?

2013 G37S 6MT with EVERY option and very good condition at 40k miles = sub 20k. That's embarrassing.

I don't think anyone would disagree that your right to question the reliability given the engine failure. However, when I think about theoretical numbers such as 0.1% failure rate (not documented anywhere) and assuming 10 million engines are produced (G37, 370Z, etc.) then 1,000 engines will fail and you were one of the unlucky ones. What you experienced isn't common so it would be tough to convince everyone the vehicle isn't reliable and as others have stated you don't know the history of the vehicle (unless you bought it new).

Rest of your quirks? Yep - G37 is full of them. I traded an Accord for this and although older was better quality. Before the Accord - Lexus GX470 and Lexus/Toyota quality and fit/finish is among the best, albeit wrapped in a boring package (until recently). I chose the G37x for the fun factor and reliability, however Nissan products, at least in my opinion, don't have the same engineering and QC as Toyota or Honda. I sold Nissan vehicles from 2002 - 2007 and they've always been the same. I was also looking at 3-Series (scared of reliability) and IS (slow) when I decided on the Infiniti.

Depreciation? You're somewhat a victim of the class of vehicle you're buying as it's entry level luxury and buyers often prefer to lease than purchase new - I'll blame that on status and other factors - but leasing a new vehicle typically isn't much more than buying a 2 - 3 year old model. And - these are popular with young execs so the market is full of them - great for anyone looking for a deal on a nice car.

Why would they change the key? It works, is modern and shared by the entire Nissan line as well :-)

-Eric
Old 01-01-2018, 06:55 PM
saywat?

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
I guess the luxury of not having to use the fob for anything except Jus leaving it in ur pocket is too convenient for some people and they want more out of it. Keep in mind keyless entry n start has been standard since 2008 while others still playing catch up in 2017.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:13 PM
Dirty ol Dog

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
dude....you bought a used car and puked an engine.....the company replaced the engine...WTF are ya crying about? At best it's a 4 to 5 year old car now. So you are driving a 10 to 4 year old car with 40k milage and a brand new engine. I've seen 08's out there for sale with 200,000k mileage selling for 10+k not bad for a car that only cost 50ish thousand to begin with.
as for the lil noises....crank that awsome stock sound system and enjoy...lol
Old 01-01-2018, 10:05 PM
Rollo

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
OP has a right to rant if he wants since he was the unlucky one whose engine blew.

However, the G37 is an awesome car. As anecdotes are not data, we all know that these are indeed very reliable cars despite your experience. The fit and finish of my G37 has been great. There were a few problems with the 07 G35 I had previously (peeling steering wheel and issues with the instrument cluster cover) but those were corrected by 2013 which is my model year.

Mine is an automatic--admittedly the Nissan manual and clutch are pretty crappy in my opinion. My G35 was a 6mt and I was determined not to make that mistake again. I greatly prefer a manual but I wanted a G37 more so I opted for the auto. Anyway, I have no inappropriate noises at any speed. I also have a very hard hitting sub in a corner load box in the trunk and even in very bass heavy songs nothing in my car rattles. That's pretty good in for a 5 year old car.

Once again, I'm sorry you were unlucky on that engine but the great thing is you got it replaced under warranty. Look on the bright side: what are the chances you will have another similarly serious issue? Very very tiny.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:27 PM
Epiphany

Received 152 Likes on 138 Posts
I'd have loved to have a new engine replacement under warranty personally.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:42 PM
stealthee

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
You want unreliability? Go buy a GM. They've been having the same issues throughout their entire lineup for years and still haven't corrected them.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:06 PM
blnewt
Administr8r&DIY cheapsk8

Received 4,811 Likes on 4,097 Posts
Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
You want unreliability? Go buy a GM. They've been having the same issues throughout their entire lineup for years and still haven't corrected them.
Buddy of mine just bought a brand new Corvette Grand Sport and engine blew at 520 miles This was a week ago
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 07:00 PM
xxg00w0

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM View Post
On my third Infiniti, and 2nd Nissan in our family. Two of them were driven over 100k miles. All of them were/have been almost problem free aside from minor issues.
The only aspect from which I am losing a little faith is that their new models do not give the same engaging driver experience that the previous generations did.

The depreciation thing is why I will not buy another Infiniti brand new. I rather let someone else take the depreciation hit. There are other risks however when buying used. But you do your best to check the service history and get a thorough checkup before you buy to try to minimize those risks as best as possible. Even if it is a CPO.
KAHBOOM 100% agree
Old 01-03-2018, 05:16 AM
Belial 71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my 08 g37s with 54,000 on it 8 months ago it now has 72,000 on it.....It runs perfect no noise no rattles no cracked dash it's probubly the best car I've ever owned
Old 01-03-2018, 07:17 AM
telcoman

Received 134 Likes on 116 Posts
The OP bought a used vehicle that perhaps was a flood vehicle?

Telcoman

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I thought Infiniti was supposed to be reliable

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.