Go Back  MyG37 > The Lounge OT > The Lounge (Off Topic)
Reload this Page >

I thought Infiniti was supposed to be reliable

Notices

I thought Infiniti was supposed to be reliable

Old 01-03-2018, 07:11 PM
SeanE46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought my 08 S coupe back in July, rock solid, doesn't burn a drop of oil. Really good car!!
Old 01-03-2018, 07:54 PM
FlashGuy

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
In no particular order:
1. Engine failures happen. The circumstances are unknown, but it was taken care of not on your dime. That's incredible furtunate.

2. The stock clutch is loud, but that is not an indication of reliability. There is so much more to keep my attention than that sound.

3. I don't hear any high frequency noises in lower gears. I am in all the gear ranges. Normal driving, i barely see 4500 rpm. When I hammer on it taking it up to 7500 rpm, it's fine.

4. Now if you want to talk about wind noise, that's present in many coupes in the luxury segment.

5. Depreciation happens. It's called accelerated depreciation in accounting. Thank the paper pushers. This happens to all cars, but esspecially atrocious on luxury vehicles. Plus the G37 is one generation old now. I've always made it a financial policy to buy used and let someone else take the hit.

6. Nissan\Infiniti all share common parts. The keyfob is one of them. Who cares what it looks like as long as it just works. Besides, we love our cars but fact is it's nothing special to the manufacturer.

Finally, among all the things that can indicate reliability (rear timing gasket, csc, axle click, diff bushing, steering wheel\door trim peeling, etc.), the things mentioned do not speak to reliability.

​​​​​​Now, if you want to talk opinions on what Nissan could have done better, we can move to another thread.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:18 PM
saywat?

Received 230 Likes on 205 Posts
u wanna see accelerated depreciation? try buying an american car brand new lol. that is something someone should never do lol. talk about crap value. side note chevrolet needs to stop making those jd power related commercials its quite annoying
Old 01-03-2018, 09:03 PM
Kris9884

Received 194 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat? View Post
I guess the luxury of not having to use the fob for anything except Jus leaving it in ur pocket is too convenient for some people and they want more out of it. Keep in mind keyless entry n start has been standard since 2008 while others still playing catch up in 2017.
Right? What more could you ask for? I wish it was smaller, that's about it.

Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
You want unreliability? Go buy a GM. They've been having the same issues throughout their entire lineup for years and still haven't corrected them.
This. To take it a step further and away from GM, I wouldn't own a domestic car pretty much ever. My dads F-150 is a 2015 and my moms Navigator is a 2014, they've both been in the shop more than any car I've ever owned combined, I ONLY drive import. The OP's one lemon is super unfortunate but the countless positive reviews from others arent wrong. Nissan/Infiniti is reliable.

Originally Posted by SeanE46 View Post
Bought my 08 S coupe back in July, rock solid, doesn't burn a drop of oil. Really good car!!
I beat the crap out of my car when I drive ot once or twice a month and its been solid. My favorite car I have owned so far.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:24 AM
Randy Johnson

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Infiniti's are very reliable like nearly all Japanese cars these days. Either you got a lemon or never changed any fluids.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:20 PM
kroy

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm sorry you had a bad experience but you did buy a used car. No one knows how much research you did on the vehicle prior to purchase and no one knows how the previous owner treated the car. If you buy a car in the future; I highly recommend having a trusted mechanic do an inspection first. It's money well spent. Usually like $50.

BTW did all these other little issues you listed exist prior to you purchasing the vehicle? If so, then why did you buy it?

It's very strange for you to blow your motor at 38K on any vehicle; much less a nissan.

BTW most Nissans will share the keyfob with Infiniti. The Nissan Armada has the same keyfob as my G37.

And about depreciation; it's not THAT bad. Look at 335's from any angle of comparison depreciation, reliability and cost of ownership. You need to compare apples to apples; and when I do that, it's not that bad.

Last edited by kroy; 01-05-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:05 PM
mdpaw

I too thought Infiniti's were super reliable. From what I can tell through personal experience, there seems to be just as much or more that goes wrong with these cars then german vehicles. Difference is there all minor and you can find cheap replacement parts online. The engine itself needs maintenance and preventative measures but have never heard of engine failure. With my previous BMW's, whenever something went wrong, you could expect to pay a minimum of $1000 in parts & labor.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:39 PM
Sig6MT

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fantality4 View Post
I think I'm losing faith in Infiniti. Before getting the car, I saw many people vouching for the reliability of the Infiniti brand and the G37 model.

My personal experiences say otherwise.

At 38k miles, my engine failed. Thankfully, I got it replaced under warranty but all I've heard from them is that they found sharp metal pieces in my engine and that they don't know how that happened. I recently sent them an email asking for the exact reasons for my engine failure and am still waiting to hear from them.

Alright, so that engine failure could be a rare occurrence that not many get to experience. What about the plethora of other problems that seem very common on this forums.

Loud clutch(or under-carriage) rattle happening at random intervals when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear.

High-frequency noise coming from the steering wheel or the engine bay area right in front of the driver seat whenever going at 70mph or higher speeds.

High-frequency noise driving at gear 1-4.

Also the whole fiasco of Nissan getting caught red-handed while manipulating QC data? What other data that is not known already is manipulated for my G37?

Japanese = low depreciation?

2013 G37S 6MT with EVERY option and very good condition at 40k miles = sub 20k. That's embarrassing.

PS - Have you guys seen the keys for the Q60? Same exact key fobs as ours. This company's laziness is unbelievable.

I still love my car, just needed to rant. However, I'm not lying when I say I lost faith in Infiniti.
Sorry about your troubles and hope that you can reach a favorable solution.

We have been fortunate with both Nissan cars and both Infiniti cars we have had. We have found all of them highly reliable and durable. In addition, they have not been difficult or expensive to keep up..

Our 2002 I-35 is pushing 100,000 and only had to replace brakes, front shocks and coils for spark plugs. Our 2013 6MT has been flawless.

Before those, we had a 1989 Maxima that I gave away after 400,000 miles (no typo), and a 1995 Maxima that we sold with 150,000.

For all of our cars, we go beyond the maintenance requirements in the manual, and only use OEM replacement parts and top quality materials like oils, etc. We did buy them new and broke them in carefully.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:00 AM
DbestiZG

Biggest item I've had to replace so far is an alternator, other than that this car is easy as heck to own.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:12 AM
Belial 71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very well put Flashguy....
Old 03-25-2018, 01:03 AM
CÝmplexMuch

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sucks to hear. I had a G20 from 56k to 174k, gave it to my dad who drove it without changing the oil or ANY maintenance until 220k and it still didnít die. Bought my G35 with 134k and drove it until 174k with no issues beyond those I created myself by modding and lowering it. My FX45 was purchased flawless at 40k and unfortunately had to sell at 65k with no issues, and my G37 I got at 148k and it runs beautifully.

Sometimes stuff happens... other times, itís lack of research into the vehicle being purchased that puts a sour taste in peopleís mouth. Sounds like you just got a tad unlucky on the engine failure.

I test drove my G37 and spent well over an hour with it pissing off the salesman listening to all its sounds, touching every seal I could reach and being generally OCD about each individual area of the vehicle I could access and pinpointing things that I read about and comparing them to the current vehicle before deciding to go ahead with the purchase. I completely ignored the salesman as he blurted out how sporty and fast it was, because he figured I was just seeking ďsporty and fastĒ rather than seeking a sexy looking vehicle with fantastic performance for what it is and great visualization for the future.

Almost bought a Chrysler 300... Happy I didnít.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:54 PM
Vr4

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This sounds like buyer's remorse.

You will never get an answer to why or what failed in the engine. That engine has already been sent back to the reman facility. They don't know where it came from at this point. If you wanted an answer you should have paid out of pocket for removal and disassembly. It still would have boiled down to part failure. The why and how would require an engineer and probably failed part analysis. If the car was brand new with a brand new engine design this likely would have happened.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:38 PM
Rikter

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd like to know if the op took the vehicle to a third party reliable garage for a pre-purchase inspection. Some place reliable that will provide an honest opinion.

I'd be interested in knowing how quickly these issues popped up (other than the engine). Was it one after another or already present?

I've had my '08 for six years now and the only issue was the common clutch master/slave issue. Otherwise I supposed changing my wiper blades/doing the general servicing myself has been the cost of owning this reliable car.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:30 AM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts
all depends how it was previuosly maintained. bought my g with 39k miles and i now have 151k miles and still running great. replaced one catalytic converter at 60kmiles and was replaced under warranty and replaced a coolant hose around 140k miles and that's about it. regular maintenance.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:10 AM
Hashim
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 198 Posts
Having 158,000 Miles on my G I can't say I agree with the OP at all although I'd probably have bad taste for infiniti's if my engine blew at 38,000 miles....

also, I know several ppl have mentioned the P got a used car and doesn't know the service history, but did I miss something...I don't see anywhere where in the thread where he said he bought it used...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I thought Infiniti was supposed to be reliable

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.