SouthEast Serving AL, FL, GA, KY, NC, SC, TN

6MT Vert Sport = NO LSD, right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 07:37 PM
retrogeek
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 6MT Vert Sport = NO LSD, right?

So I just had my 2013 6MT Sport (RWD) 'vert in for its 60K service. At least this time I didn't have the techs *argue* with me about whether I had a transfer case or not like they did back at 30K.

But looking over the paperwork afterwards, I see a line-item on the differential service for "328 LSII additive". Isn't this the LSD additive ("friction modifier" we called it on another car model I used to have) to make the LSD clutches work correctly? I thought the 6-speed convertibles were a bit of an exception, in that they DIDN'T have an LSD?
If that's the case, and if they did put the additive in, is it going to cause any problems for an open diff? My suspicion is that it's probably fine, and it would be a bigger problem the other way - leaving the additive OUT of an LSD. Just being paranoid/overcautious here, want to be sure before I put too many miles on it.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Looking at the factory vert specs (scroll down to the bottom where the sport pkg is listed) it seems you are correct~
2013 Infiniti G37 Convertible specifications
Here's the coupe on for reference where the VSLD is clearly listed
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe specifications
Here's one thread on using limited slip gear oil w/ a non LSD unit~
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=2686484
And another~
https://itstillruns.com/hurt-use-fri...-12200995.html

Doesn't seem to be a major concern, Might call the dealer and see what they say though, the proper oil should have been added, but maybe they don't know that the 6mt convertible is an anomaly
The following users liked this post:
retrogeek (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 03:53 AM
retrogeek
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Ah - thanks for the links, especially the one above. Assuming the writer there speaks from some sort of authority, "most popular modern synthetic gear oils already have friction modifiers in them."

Now that I'm pretty sure I have my info straight, I have to decide if it's worth crabbing at the dealer over $22 worth of additive I didn't need.
Probably not.

Scanning some other discussions, it also looks like if I choose to do the Quaife LSD upgrade (which I'm very much contemplating), being gear-based it doesn't need FM either.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:44 AM
3POINT8

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Has anyone installed LSD to a base auto g37 convertible ?

https://www.z1motorsports.com/transm...al-p-2397.html

Thinking about installing it on mine. Want to get some input before I place a order.