SouthEast Serving AL, FL, GA, KY, NC, SC, TN

G37 Engine Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 12:45 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by SonicVQ
The video states that poor air filtration shows up as high silicon levels in the oil.

This results in increased engine wear that shows up as higher lead, iron and aluminum levels in a used oil analysis, due the silicon (sand) in the oil.

I think the video is more fact based than those old images of some air filter for a GM truck.

If you really want to know how well YOUR air filter works on YOUR car, in YOUR environment, get a used oil analysis and see for your self.

For me, I don't live in a very dusty area and my K&N filters work just fine. My Silica levels are just slightly below 30 PPM.

i'll take actual flow tests to show how much crap the K&N doesn't filter out. im not buying the "determination of filtration ability by way of oil analysis" test.

will it destroy your engine? probably not. i wont use K&N's mainly because of the oiling and cleaning hassle. i'm not going to keep a car long enough where the poor filtering would cause engine problems ....
Old 05-20-2017, 03:07 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
im not buying the "determination of filtration ability by way of oil analysis" test.
A used oil analysis is required in aviation and other industries to keep tabs on the engine's condition.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:33 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by SonicVQ
A used oil analysis is required in aviation and other industries to keep tabs on the engine's condition.
yes, engine condition ..... but not the ability of an air filter to filter. :wtf:
i'm sure a poor filter lets in a lot more than "silicon".
Old 05-20-2017, 10:35 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
yes, engine condition ..... but not the ability of an air filter to filter. :wtf:
i'm sure a poor filter lets in a lot more than "silicon".
Sand, dirt and dust dirt is made from silicon.
High levels on silicon in your oil can indicate poor air filtration.

Bob is the Oil guy is a great resource to learn about this stuff:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub.../forum_summary
Old 05-21-2017, 04:23 PM
KungFooFireman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll share my Blackstone Labs results with you guys. I have a 17 year old Maxima that I have used a K&N filter in for a majority of that time. I did an oil analysis about 1 year ago before switching to a regular, albeit high quality, paper filter.

My silicon reading was 26 with 14 being the average at 239k miles. I then did about 2 or 3 oil changes after I installed the paper filter and recently got a reading of silicon at 15 with 267k miles. So the K&N def lets in more dirt, BUT, I've used it for 17 years with no issues and the Max is still running strong.

Do what you like with that info. I'm actually trying to decide if I want to get the R2C Black Hex drop ins to replace the paper OEM I have now.