SouthEast Serving AL, FL, GA, KY, NC, SC, TN

g37 vert: Service Engine Soon light

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 02:56 AM
Gshockneo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my newly purchased used car, Service Engine light along with oil change sign comes on when I turn on it to level where electrical functions like music, light etc works and does not go away. But when I start the engine, both disappears.

Is this normal? or does it really need servicing since oil change light also comes on initially?

If that changes anything - I think next service is due in November month but it's still one month and it was not probably driven much since last service since it was on sale for some time before I bought it.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:50 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Gshockneo
In my newly purchased used car, Service Engine light along with oil change sign comes on when I turn on it to level where electrical functions like music, light etc works and does not go away. But when I start the engine, both disappears.

Is this normal? or does it really need servicing since oil change light also comes on initially?

If that changes anything - I think next service is due in November month but it's still one month and it was not probably driven much since last service since it was on sale for some time before I bought it.
This is perfectly normal. If you turn the car on in accessory mode (not turning he actually engine on) all the lights on the dash will light up to make sure they're working.

And to the op. Have autozone, napa, oreilly reset the ses for you rather than trying that tedious step. But unless you fixed the problem it'll just come back on.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Gshockneo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
This is perfectly normal. If you turn the car on in accessory mode (not turning he actually engine on) all the lights on the dash will light up to make sure they're working.
I understand that all lights come on once and go off quickly in Accessory mode but in my case service engine and oil change remains on forever until engine is started. Is this still normal?
Old 10-07-2013, 04:06 PM
chanu
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My service engine light was on, took it to the dealer thinking it might be nothing more than a gas cap issue. Turned out it was a crack in the catalytic converter, and they had to change the whole thing. cost $1200!, luckily it as covered under the warranty. So my suggestion take it and get the code and see if its anything running fine.