South Serving AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX

HOUSTON: Reputable Mechanic Recommendations

Old 03-17-2018, 11:51 PM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
HOUSTON: Reputable Mechanic Recommendations

So I am dealing with the dreaded slave & master cylinder issues on my 2013 G37 sedan. Does anyone have any recommendations for a shop in Houston? I am nervous about going to just anybody being that the tranny has to be dropped. I am going to go ahead and get the slave and master cylinder replaced to avoid the slave failing again(I've heard stories). Dealer quoted me $1700 which is a little steep at the moment, but if I have to... then I have to. But I want to see if there are any more affordable options out there...

The clutch pedal gets light after not shifting for a while at freeway speeds. It's gotten to the point a couple times I've had to lift it with my foot from the underside. But once I pump it a few times or shift a few times it goes back to normal. Noticed that sometimes on start up the engagement point it really low and will cause a pretty bad jerk when moving out of a spot due to catching me off guard and not adjusting to it... otherwise, it's normal and drivable. But have a fear that it's going to completely give one day.

Took it to the dealer last month and had them flush the clutch fluid and replace it with the GT-R Fluid, that did nothing.

So please, any recommendations would help. Or should I just let the dealership handle this type of work?
Old 03-18-2018, 09:59 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
There are plenty of places around Houston that can handle clutch changes try contacting DD Performance Research, Houston Z Auto, The Shop Houston, or D3 Performance to start off with.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:19 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I like Armand Hindrichs. He is primarily a Miata guy but works on my G. I've used him several times. He likes talking cars and you can sit in the garage and shoot the breeze with him and his crew. He's at Huffmeister and Barker-Cypress.

I can also recommend Clint Host. He's long known for his Miata work. Has a nice alignment rig and will set as you ask. Just off Sam Houston Tollway West and I-10.