Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review Z1 Motorsports Transmission mount/bushing on '13 G37S 6spd.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:37 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by projectpanda13
I'll add my experience with the Z1 transmission mount here also. I'll add more as I drive the car.

At the moment, I have the car on jack stand still. I started the car up and at idle there's a subtle vibration. The vibration is more felt as I rev the engine. I thought my y-pipe was hitting the chassis or transmission cross member, but it was actually from the stiffness of the transmission mount. Hopefully, I'll have the car done this week to drive it to experience it with load and on the road.
Latez
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? I notice most people who do notice nearly no change in NVH, but those on stock exhaust cry bloody murder about all the new NVH.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:43 PM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 261 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? I notice most people who do notice nearly no change in NVH, but those on stock exhaust cry bloody murder about all the new NVH.
I have a Topspeed exhaust. I'm sure the vibration will be different during a drive, under loaded conditions. I have a good tolerance for noise and vibration overall. I just forgot I had installed the tranny mount and thought my y-pipe was hitting again, since it happened before. I all for responsiveness and willing to sacrifice some comfort for it.But I can also understand this might be much for some.
Latez
Old 01-08-2019, 04:03 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I have a Topspeed exhaust. I'm sure the vibration will be different during a drive, under loaded conditions. I have a good tolerance for noise and vibration overall. I just forgot I had installed the tranny mount and thought my y-pipe was hitting again, since it happened before. I all for responsiveness and willing to sacrifice some comfort for it.But I can also understand this might be much for some.
Latez
I have Stillen exhaust and the extra NVH from the transmission mount actually somehow made the exhaust sound more throaty. Bonus!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:11 AM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

I now have the car back on the road and was about to get a day's with of driving yesterday along with this morning's 60 miles commute.

As mentioned by 4DRZ and me, NVH increased. I'll try to rate it on a scale system;
0 = no vibration 5 = race car, solid everything, caged vibration

Cold start = 2 , due to the higher rpm, the vibrations is felt more but calms down to a 1 after the rpm settle

Idle = 1 , vibrations can be felt but not bad, very subtle to me

accelerating from idle up to 2500rpm = 2

2500-3000rpm (regular driving around parking lot and city streets)= 3

3000rpm-redline (hard acceleration) = 3.5 , at a certain point with all the noise from my exhaust, the road noise, and wind, you start to notice it

deceleration (in gear low speed) = 4 , certain rpms are worst than others, I think around 3000rpm and right at 2000rpm, shifter shakes and vibration felt through seat and up the steering wheel.

cruising (high speed 50-80 mph) = 1 , its actually fairly smooth driving on the hwy

I'll add more or revise as I drive more. I'm not sure I can feel a difference in terms of responsiveness in shifting, maybe because its been 5 weeks since I've last driven my car, or my oem transmission mount wasn't in that bad of a shape.

Latez
Old 01-21-2019, 04:56 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I now have the car back on the road and was about to get a day's with of driving yesterday along with this morning's 60 miles commute.

As mentioned by 4DRZ and me, NVH increased. I'll try to rate it on a scale system;
0 = no vibration 5 = race car, solid everything, caged vibration

Cold start = 2 , due to the higher rpm, the vibrations is felt more but calms down to a 1 after the rpm settle

Idle = 1 , vibrations can be felt but not bad, very subtle to me

accelerating from idle up to 2500rpm = 2

2500-3000rpm (regular driving around parking lot and city streets)= 3

3000rpm-redline (hard acceleration) = 3.5 , at a certain point with all the noise from my exhaust, the road noise, and wind, you start to notice it

deceleration (in gear low speed) = 4 , certain rpms are worst than others, I think around 3000rpm and right at 2000rpm, shifter shakes and vibration felt through seat and up the steering wheel.

cruising (high speed 50-80 mph) = 1 , its actually fairly smooth driving on the hwy

I'll add more or revise as I drive more. I'm not sure I can feel a difference in terms of responsiveness in shifting, maybe because its been 5 weeks since I've last driven my car, or my oem transmission mount wasn't in that bad of a shape.

Latez
That's interesting. I could only tell a little difference with my Stillen exhaust. Maybe the headers, intakes, and high flow cats helped cover up the NVH.

Where I noticed the most difference in shifting was either stepping on the gas or off of it and watching the shift ****. You could actually see it move forward or backward and that made it difficult to shift smoothly. The trans mount definitely helped this issue, but it was the motor mounts and rear differential brace that really tightened things up.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:00 AM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

I figured I’d add my review video of the transmission mount here as there’s so much information already.

the video is focused on the shifter and I’m driving and explaining how it feels through various speeds and rpm.

hope this helps those who are considering this.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:44 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Panda- You do get a bit more vibration as our engines are not exactly "smooth" by today's standards, but I wish you would have shown a before and after of the shifter when you let off the gas and how much it moves stock compared to with the Z1 trans mount. Night and day difference to take out a lot of the slop in the shifter. With motor mounts, a shift kit, and a rear differential brace the shifting is super solid in my car.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:57 PM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Panda- You do get a bit more vibration as our engines are not exactly "smooth" by today's standards, but I wish you would have shown a before and after of the shifter when you let off the gas and how much it moves stock compared to with the Z1 trans mount. Night and day difference to take out a lot of the slop in the shifter. With motor mounts, a shift kit, and a rear differential brace the shifting is super solid in my car.
Thats true, doing a before and after would have been good for comparison. I do enjoy the firm shifts also. I also plan to do motor mounts next, trying to decide between z1 or bde.

Last edited by projectpanda13; 05-09-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,569 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Thats true, doing a before and after would have been good for comparison. I do enjoy the firm shifts also. I also plan to do motor mounts next, trying to decide between z1 or bde.
I just had Z1 motor mounts installed yesterday. The diff brace is a more significant add, IMO, and at a fraction of the cost because installing the mounts is so labor intensive.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I have the Z1 and no complaints. But the labor is not terribly cheap.

Originally Posted by Rochester
I just had Z1 motor mounts installed yesterday. The diff brace is a more significant add, IMO, and at a fraction of the cost because installing the mounts is so labor intensive.
I was wondering what you would think of the motor mounts compared to the diff brace. I noticed pretty significant differences from both, but in a different way. I guess they both take out a lot of unwanted slop in the drivetrain so that means the diff brace is looking like the new champion of bang for the buck upgrades.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:47 PM
theaveragejoe
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Solid trans mount on auto g37

Had the Gk Tech solid trans mount installed on my 2015 Q60. It’s an absolute beast and sounds like a Lamborghini but a little more “alien like”. yeah it vibrates like a ***** at 80 on the freeway, but I only use the freeway to get to the mountain I tear up so meh. Once on the mountain I don’t really notice it.

have the diff brace and thinking of doing motor mounts next. Might run both z1 poly or one side poly one side solid depending. Might focus on chassis welding or roll bar first.

any input on solid trans mount is welcome as I have read on many drag forums you shouldn’t run solid all the way around but not sure with our cars.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:44 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by theaveragejoe
Had the Gk Tech solid trans mount installed on my 2015 Q60. It’s an absolute beast and sounds like a Lamborghini but a little more “alien like”. yeah it vibrates like a ***** at 80 on the freeway, but I only use the freeway to get to the mountain I tear up so meh. Once on the mountain I don’t really notice it.

have the diff brace and thinking of doing motor mounts next. Might run both z1 poly or one side poly one side solid depending. Might focus on chassis welding or roll bar first.

any input on solid trans mount is welcome as I have read on many drag forums you shouldn’t run solid all the way around but not sure with our cars.
I would vote against a sold trans. mount. I had an aftermarket trans. mount on my 370Z that did not look any different than the Z1 urethane mount, but it was made of a slightly more dense material and it rattled so loudly that it sounded like someone cut the exhaust off. Maybe for a race car, maybe... but completely undriveable for a street car. Our engines are not terribly smooth which is why they come stock with mounts about as solid as a wet noodle.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:29 PM
theaveragejoe
Banned

Our engines are not terribly smooth which is why they come stock with mounts about as solid as a wet noodle.
indeed they are not: Very Quick 3.7 Very High Revolution does not imply smoothness.

I don’t mind the noise. I’m only driving 60 miles a week up and down a canyon. Otherwise it’s the sweet sounds of my electric bicycle: “Neeeeeeeee”

I just don’t want anything breaking due to torque or vibrations.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:58 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by theaveragejoe
indeed they are not: Very Quick 3.7 Very High Revolution does not imply smoothness.

I don’t mind the noise. I’m only driving 60 miles a week up and down a canyon. Otherwise it’s the sweet sounds of my electric bicycle: “Neeeeeeeee”

I just don’t want anything breaking due to torque or vibrations.
There are plenty of smooth high rev motors out there.

I think you might change your tune about a solid trans mount once you hear it. That 370Z mount I was telling you about was LOUD as in it sounded like there was no exhaust on the car at all and I could not hear my radio. Race car loud.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:30 PM
theaveragejoe
Banned

There are plenty of smooth high rev motors out there.

I think you might change your tune about a solid trans mount once you hear it. That 370Z mount I was telling you about was LOUD as in it sounded like there was no exhaust on the car at all and I could not hear my radio. Race car loud.
Hmmm can still hear radio just fine. I do keep my music loud, but it’s not too unbearable. Interesting it was so different on the Z; maybe differences in bracing? Also I hear the Zs have harmonic/performance dampeners or something by Yamaha in there that our cars don’t.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Review Z1 Motorsports Transmission mount/bushing on '13 G37S 6spd.