Notices
Entertainment Off topic forum lounge to discuss video gaming, music, movies, and TV.

Is the "modding" culture dead?

Old 12-02-2016, 05:58 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
The forum has died a lot of the last couple of years. No big projects happening and just basic stuff. Wheels and intakes..
Old 12-03-2016, 11:51 AM
Victory

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts
You'll probably see a bit of a resurgance in power mods as the cars get into the $12-15k range. I expect you probably see more modding on the g35 forums
Old 12-05-2016, 12:59 PM
Detail

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
For me in particular its the absolute joke of a return in HP for $$$ spent on the G. I added PSS/sways/clutch pedal assembly/Front and Rear OEM spoilers/K&N Drops ins and called it a day. So I'm done "modding" this car. This is my "adult" car where everything works.

I have my talon in the garage when I need to see HP results for spending $.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:42 PM
Rwdxtacy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For me Fast and the Furious (lmao) got me into the whole game. I as around when it exploded in the early 2000s. I do feel as if there are less and less "modded" cars in general riding around my city. We used to have meets where there were 250+ cars every weekend. Now they have cars and coffee and its super lame in comparison.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:06 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 624 Likes on 550 Posts
Too bad you guys missed the Detroit Iron era of muscle cars. Everybody modded their Cutlasses and Grand Prix and Mustangs and Chargers, oh my. HP was easy to come by and not very expensive since the only electronics in the cars were the stereos. Many cars, you could sit with your legs around the engine while you replaced the intake manifold or carburetor. The only real difficulty was getting the right headers to fit around the motor mounts or starter.

It was an enjoyable time. Until the gas crunches...
Old 01-11-2018, 08:16 PM
clutchfan

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
It's dead. Trends come and go.

I modded my car but it was tasteful. My first mod was a 1996 Integra. Simple poly body kit and a turbo charger and the intercooler painted black for the sleeper look. This was back in 2004.

I think the "low key mod" / Sleeper look is still active.

For my 2015 Q60 coupe. All I added was the splash guards. It's a lease so I didn't bother with the spoiler. Added tent, a dash cam and that pretty much it.

Didn't lower it as the ride is already bumpy as it.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:09 PM
Randy Johnson

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow this thread was resurrected from being dead for a year!!!!

I think modding has changed a lot (or I've gotten older) and this car is just not the right platform. Go check out Suburu and Miata forums. Those guys can't leave anything stock!!! Plus the aftermarket is just begging you to mod. Lots of options.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:50 PM
stealthee

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Modding isn't dead. It is very much alive and well. As was mentioned earlier the problem is the avenue of which people are talking about their mods. Just because it doesn't get posted about here, or at all, doesn't mean it isn't happening.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:47 PM
Lego_Maniac

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts
My neighbors kid has a hand-me-down 1994 Nissan 300ZX Turbo, 5MT. Cool car.

He came down over the summer real polite, "Mr Lego_Maniac, we're trying to take off my mufflers and need some help" and of course I had no choice but to help

By the end of the week most of his friends had completed "muffler deletes"

So yeah, modding culture is alive and well!
Old 01-17-2018, 10:29 PM
stealthee

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Also to further push the point, a good friend of mine has a performance shop. He has more work than he knows what to do with. Another friend has a site where he sells performance parts and he's been super busy with it. If you really think modding is dead, then you obviously haven't looked around.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:45 PM
Jsolo
Insane & Delirious

Received 366 Likes on 311 Posts
My car spends more time in the garage than on the road. Most of the mods I was going to do were done early on -- exhaust, sway bars. More recently a usb port was added to the switch bank left of the steering wheel, dash cam. No interest in any fancy wheels or suspension changes.

Tossing the idea of adding led foglights to improve visibility (not for show). Other maintenance coming up - throttle body service, belt. Will do hoses next year (summer of '19) when I do the next drain/fill.

Battery got replaced recently so I may mod the battery cover so it doesn't have to come off each time a hook up is done to the battery tender.

The older I get the less inclined I am to mess with much on the car. For the 40's thread, there are lots of us old folks on here
Old 01-18-2018, 08:55 PM
saywat?

Received 230 Likes on 205 Posts
modding is not dead. the g37 mod options just suck thats probably wat ur realizing.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:19 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 624 Likes on 550 Posts
For engine power, N.A. is rather well optimized, unlike engines before the 1990s.

Only turbo engines today offer substantial gains as makers go conservative to get long life and decent fuel mileage.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:18 PM
rotarymike

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Modding isn't dead in the South East. It's just all land-barges with 36" wheels.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.