Go Back  MyG37 > The Lounge OT > The Lounge (Off Topic) > Other Cars
Reload this Page >

Twin Turbo thread Redone: Skyline lineage & Heritage

Notices
Other Cars Forum for discussing non G related cars.

Twin Turbo thread Redone: Skyline lineage & Heritage

Old 03-31-2019, 05:46 PM
gill1606

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
So I had a chance to go to a very cool and rare chance car show this weekend. It was great! Most of the cars were American classics, I saw Shelby's cobras, talked to a man whose dad won some of the very first races for Shelby America, his name Dave MacDonald, so I saw his son there, Rich MacDonald, it was great talking to him about his dad's legacy and how his dad helped Shelby win some of their first races with the Cobra and Daytona model, unfortunately his dad passed away in 1964 before Shelby went to Le Mans, however he was still instrumental in getting Shelby America's name out there in terms of its racing debut.

So Rich has his dad's cobra in the form of a road spec fiberglass construction replica, while the original had an all aluminum body and was the racing spec model, which sold privately for $ 3 million. As you can guess, aluminum is a much lighter metal, and thus the racing spec model will feature a chassis that incorporates more aluminum in its design. I happened to take a picture of Rich's elegant road spec version of his dad's legendary racecar.

It may not have an aluminum body, but it is still light weight especially compared to other sports cars of today, and still sports a strong V8 engine with 400+ horsepower. It has the elegance and sway of a road spec machine but the grunt and bite of a sportscar if need be. Increases in horsepower can help negate any weight from a non-aluminum body helping to better the power:weight ratio bypassing the need for an all aluminum construction. Just like turbos bypass the need for a larger displacement V8 or V10 engine in 4-6 cylinder powered vehicles. As the old saying goes, there is more than one way to skin a cat. It is this version that will be featured in a new movie releasing this fall called Shelby vs Ferrari starring Matt Damon and Christian Bale. The car will be wrapped in the original red color racing livery.

Macdonald's son Rich, posing with the Road Spec version of his dad's legendary racecar, the one that got Shelby their first victory. This car will debut in the upcoming film wrapped in the livery of its counterpart racing spec model.

Rear quarter angle

Last edited by gill1606; 04-02-2019 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:52 PM
gill1606

The following R34 Skyline GTR is Paul Walkers actual car, he had two of these models and both were given to their respective heirs. This is one of them at the show.

The r34 with the special body design with blue stripes, was actually not Paul Walker's but was a movie car, the following actually belonged to Walker.

Last edited by gill1606; 03-31-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:51 PM
gill1606

And the r34 skyline gens actual true successor, the v35 skyline gt, although no factory skyline gtr model, but like the r34 gen, it has a gt model called the 350gt. And of course the R35 GTR is not a Skyline hence not true heir to the r34 gen, even if the v35 has no factory gtr build, it still has a gt build just like other r34 skyline models, and it carries the skyline name onwards.

I recently bought mine in red.

The v35 gen:

Last edited by gill1606; 04-01-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:40 PM
gill1606

The most impressive car I saw at the car show yesterday. It's a Chrysler Crossfire with a complete race modified powertrain and chassis. I love it.

Last edited by gill1606; 04-01-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:55 PM
gill1606

So here is Rich's dad in his first ever race for Shelby in their AC Cobra, this is the race spec version with light weight aluminum chassis construction. The following video depicts Dave MacDonald's first ever win for the Shelby namesake at Riverside, California, So Cal.

In the same year of 1963, Dave and his wingman Ken Miles, both driving Cobras for Shelby, again have what seems to be their second win in a row over GM's illustrious Corvettes. These wins helped launch Shelby and their roadster into the racing limelight and gave them the confidence needed to pursue this field further.

You can clearly see the red racing livery of Dave MacDonald's AC Cobra in this video. The 2nd win happened in LA at the Dodger Stadium.

Last edited by gill1606; 04-01-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:12 PM
gill1606

Also found a wild cream color Acura TL type S (Accord TL Type S) parked at the car show.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:41 AM
gill1606

I also wanted to mention Gene Winfield, a custom car modifier who is known as a Legend in the American classic cars genre. I asked Mr. Winfield if he had a favorite import, and he had to ask the announcer to name one for him, who decided to name a British model called the Healy, the manufacturer of this model eventually went out of business due to oil and gas prices at the time. I just thought it was funny how Mr. Winfield was at a total loss and had to deflect the question, it also shows his passion for American classics, ie he never felt he needed to look into any other genre of car.

Actually when I said I had gotten into imports first, he jokingly said "well, I'm sorry.," afterwhich there was laughter and chuckling with Mr. Winfield saying he was just kidding...lol! It was pretty funny. that's when I decided why not just ask if he has a favorite import car at all.

He also knew Carrol Shelby as a personal friend. I got to shake his hand, get an autograph, and just pay my respects to someone who has contributed so much to the automotive industry, in that they are now known as legends. My autobody friends insisted I go to the car show and just check it out since guys like Gene Winfield would be there.

Mr. Winfield sitting to the right. He's known as a straight edge or straight arrow, ie in that he doesn't chase after women, doesn't drink, and won't curse....according to Mr. Herbert Weber, also a contemporary custom car designer from Mr. Winfield's generation.

There are other legend car designers sitting on the panel from the previous generation, whom I had little knowledge or awareness of, but others may when looking at the picture.

Gene Winfield's generation were some of the very first custom modders to have appeared post WW2 in the United States, custom modding essentially started with them.

Last edited by gill1606; 05-06-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:34 PM
gill1606

Finally bought my dream car, a Skyline, bought the CV35/V35 gen model, the direct successor of the R34 Skyline gen. With a new career looming in my horizon, I am going to pay homage to the Skyline name by building this car to the best of my ability given my resources. From fuel system upgrades, to powertrain modifications, to full aero and suspension upgrades. As a Skyline fan and enthusiast this build level will reflect the pinnacle of this car's performance calibre, known as the Skyline GT-R namesake. No Nissan GTR's allowed.

Projected outcomes few years down the line:

The heart of the beast and its two lungs

Thanks to "the wandering drifter" on car throttle's webpage, it's like he read my mind, this is nearly 95% of the mod layout I had in mind. One day this concept art will be production reality...Skyline dreams.

Proper RWD V35 Skyline GT-R aftermarket spec.

Last edited by gill1606; 06-06-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:42 PM
gill1606

I bought the G35 with about 82k miles, it's a manual 6mt from the '03 model year, the first batch of Skylines released after the R34 generation was discontinued from the factory. It shares its VQ platform with the 2002 and 2003 JGTC R34 Skyline Gtr JGTC machines which used the VQ engine as a factory twin turbo build. These jgtc r34s were the first skylines to use the VQ engine, after their run ended in 2003, the same year the V35/G35 Skyline debuted in the USDM with the same VQ engine platform, except instead of being a factory twin turbo build, it was released NA as a Skyline GT model trim, specifically 350GT.

Now we have the VQ successor the VR engine taking twin turbo factory builds forward for modern Skyline powertrain usage. The VQ VR38DETT VR30DDTT all being aluminum based engines. This is in sharp contrast to the previous RB engine where the block was cast iron, also making it heavier than the VQ and VR aluminum based engines, aluminum being grossly lighter than iron. This weight issue and less compact design of the RB, was the main reason why Nissan switched the 02 03 jgtc R34 skyline gtr cars to use a twin turbo VQ instead.

Once I have enough cash saved up, I will be swapping in the VR30DDTT V6 factory twin turbo into my G35/V35 Skyline chassis. It's the perfect engine, being the Nissan factory's next evolution of its famed na VQ engine.

I have spoken with some shops and the project will cost 40k+, it's something I am seriously contemplating about carrying out, but it will take a few years to save up for that cash down payment. Slow and steady wins the race.

It was a beautiful night so I took a couple pics, goes well with the song too

It's a cloudy and cold summer night, 61 degrees, as you see a lone street lamp in the background, and a hidden light post illuminating the tree that shades my car.

Last edited by gill1606; 06-22-2019 at 04:11 AM.