The Red Mist (An RS5 tale) - Page 3 - MyG37

Other Cars Discussion of all other cars and comparisons with the G

The Red Mist (An RS5 tale)

Old 12-02-2017, 09:00 PM   #31
Ape Factory

Updated the video, much better quality. Getting my system for shooting in-car down so expect more soon!
Ape Factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:51 PM   #32
Ape Factory

This is only the second Red Sport I've seen in town. The paint definitely has a maroon tint to it but it had a really deep sheen. Looks fussy next to the RS5 but it's clear the Audi is a larger car.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:01 AM   #33
gill1606

I like the RS5 front, there is just too much chrome on that Q60, as much of a fan I am of Infiniti. My impression of German cars is that their exterior designs are always so simple and to the point, while Infiniti let's say adds more flare to their chassis design.

German interiors are always top notch I think, the craftsmanship seems to be on a high level, although Infiniti may not be lagging behind either, however, the Germans seem to be OCD about this. I think where they may fail, according to what I read online, is in the maintenance costs and replace and repair scenarios where the cost can be very high. Reliability is also an internet favorite when poking at German cars.

My overall impression of these cars is: good interior craftsmanship, concentration on interior and exterior build quality, very simple and to the point chassis designs, however, slightly or more so marred by maintenance/cost and repair issues.

Honestly, the Red Sports at least should have come with the Carbon Fiber package and Midnight Grill straight from the factory, I hate it when Manufacturers do cost cutting crap like that. Germans don't seem to do that often, although I might be wrong.
gill1606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #34
Ape Factory

Yep, that's pretty much a spot-on assessment. The Red sport should have looked somewhat like the Black Sport vaporware design study, toned down a bit. You can have the Audi with chrome (matte silver really) finish on the grill, trim and side view mirrors though. Mine just has the black optics package and I've swapped all the chrome badges for black.

I've had a love/hate relationship with German cars. We've had two prior Germans, one lemon lawed, one sold after two costly repair bills to replace gaskets at 40K miles. This one, knock on wood, is problem free at the moment. It's a rolling experiment.

I do spend a lot of time researching things that could go wrong. I did a bit of that with the Infiniti but not nearly to the same level. Overall, the RS5's are actually pretty reliable and a lot of the parts aren't actually any more expensive compared to say Infiniti or Cadillac.

So if an injector goes bad, it's probably not going to cost any more than replacing an injector on my Infiniti. Same for things like bushings, suspension arms, sensors, that sort of stuff. That's if you're doing everything yourself.

There are big ticket items. My ceramic rotors are $6K to replace. I'm actually researching the possibility of having iron replacements made if something does go wrong. The friction disks are 380x38mm which interestingly is the same size as a lot of Porsche OEM rotors. I just need the right hat and the right number of fastening tabs on the rotor. The OEM RS5 iron rotors, especially the fronts, are prone to premature wear for whatever reason and those are costly to replace. There are aftermarket ones available, two piece, and they're about twice the cost of say Z1's two-piece rotors but they also solve the premature wear issue. But you can get them for $700 and change.

Engine and tranny replacement costs would be another biggie but it's actually not that far from what Infiniti would charge for a new replacement. It'd be far less expensive to find a used Infiniti part and more likely that you'd actually be able to find it. I can't remember but I think Infiniti was charging what, $8K for a new 7AT? It's $9K for the RS5's S-Tronic.

I do find the cars themselves are far more complicated overall. Like in another universe complicated. Between the CANBUS system and overall mechanical complexity, it'll make your head spin. Swapping the battery is not a drop-in task. You have to tell the computer what you've put in the car and it better damn well be an "approved" battery. For the DIY, that means purchasing a PC laptop (if you don't already own one) and getting Ross-Tech's Vag-Com cable. This'll allow you to diagnose, change the car's functionality, and code new parts.

Fluid changes are far more frequent but then again, this car has more in common with a Lamborghini Hurican than a VW Passat in the drivetrain department. The 55K service is my next big service with a change to the transmission fluid and rear differential fluid. Now both the transmission and the rear differential have an "auto" and "mechanical" side. Meaning half of it gets ATF fluid and half gets regular gear fluid. If I remember correctly, at 55K, the transmission requires both to be changed and it's ATF only on the rear diff. Cost through the dealer is high, probably $2K unless you pre-pay with Audi Care. Then you get a discount. But...my local Indy shop charges $400. So not that bad really, especially for what you get in
return.

The Infiniti aftermarket, while limited, is still a bit better than the RS5 aftermarket. That's changing. My original window sticker was $85K. Not too many folks heavily modifying a car like the RS5 at that price. They've dropped to about half that generally and the aftermarket is starting to pick up. Suspension is there already. I can choose from Bilstein to KW to a full-on Ohlins kit with custom spring rates.

Tuning has never been there but thanks to JH Motorsports, that's about to change. They'll most likely have a full header-back exhaust system, with a modular section to swap in HFC's/test pipes, in January, along with a tune. And there's a supercharger kit coming. They already make it for the S5 (V8) and it's proved to be reliable. The RS5's internals are far beefier and will handle the extra supercharged hp just fine. There are a lot of forced-induction V10 Gallardos, R8's and Huricans running around and this car has basically the same engine minus two cylinders.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #35
Rochester
Lifetime Premier Member

Thanked 2,449 Times in 1,905 Posts
No one said a single word about the black Challenger on the left.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #36
gill1606

do you still have your IPL G37?? I know you've got an Aragosta suspension on it. With that in mind, how does the IPL handle compared to this RS5??

I am guessing the RS5 is much lighter than the IPL, if not as good even with an aftermarket kit installed, would the IPL's handling improve if it were to shed some weight?

hope you dont mind me asking, just curious. I know your build thread says that the stock IPL suspension was not as good as the aftermarket ones you installed.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:33 PM   #37
Epiphany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
Not a whole lot to say about a base Challenger. Not even one of the cool versions.
Epiphany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:52 PM   #38
Ape Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by gill1606 View Post
do you still have your IPL G37?? I know you've got an Aragosta suspension on it. With that in mind, how does the IPL handle compared to this RS5??

I am guessing the RS5 is much lighter than the IPL, if not as good even with an aftermarket kit installed, would the IPL's handling improve if it were to shed some weight?

hope you dont mind me asking, just curious. I know your build thread says that the stock IPL suspension was not as good as the aftermarket ones you installed.
I sold the IPL and it's now owned by another forum member in California.

Yes, I did install Aragosta suspension. The RS5 has the Bilstein B16 PSS10 kit. The Infiniti is lighter, probably by 200 pounds. The Audi, I'm guessing, weighs as much or a bit more than the AWD G37 with the 7AT. Yes, the Audi is a heavy pig

I can't say the Infiniti "feels" any lighter from behind the wheel but the chassis overall is more tossable and accessible than the Infiniti. I feel like the G is a hair more nimble and has great mid-corner stability. The Audi rules from mid-corner through the exit. Both have pretty good turn-in. I'm still getting used to the Audi and I literally turned stability control off for the first time two days ago. Tires are different too and I had better tires on the IPL. I won't know the true measure of things until I can get some Michelins on the Audi. I do feel like the limits are overall, higher on the Audi and I'm usually carrying more speed into the corners. I just need to get used to how the AWD chassis feels and understand what signals the chassis and the traction/stability control are sending and how to differentiate between them.

The Audi is pretty much power on through the corner and just accelerate through the apex where the Infiniti is turn in smoothly, maintain corner speed and get the wheel fairly straight before nailing the throttle unless you want to swing the tail out for a bit of drift action.

The Infiniti's steering feel is far superior. The Audi has dynamic steering so the effort changes with speed. It's a very smart system.

Damping wise, it's tough to tell as they're too different systems. The Aragostas are "tighter" with less slop and the Bilsteins have a progressive rate spring so they aren't as firm in that first little bit of travel. The Bilstein damping on rough roads is more OEM like but it doesn't take the edge off of sharp bumps like the Aragostas do. I think the Aragosta piston is larger and can displace more fluid more quickly. On smooth, fast roads, the Aragostas have the edge. I haven't turned the Bilsteins up to 10 on a nice canyon road yet though either. I'm happy with them but keep on eyeing the Ohlins kit they have available for the RS5 with two-way adjustment.

As for the IPL shocks and dampers not being as good, well, yeah, that's a given for track or back road shenanigans. They also cost 3X the stock setup so they should be better. I think for 80% of the people will find the IPL suspension to be quite good on a strictly street-driven car. I enjoyed the OEM suspension and thought the dampers were spot-on for 7/10th's driving. Beyond that, the Aragostas have superior body motion control and the car just feels tighter. I felt like it took 500 pounds off the car.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:53 PM   #39
Ape Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
Challenger? What's that?
Old 12-07-2017, 03:06 AM   #40
gill1606

Don't forget that the RS5 is AWD, and the IPL is a RWD car, which is probably why the Audi powers out of corners on exits. The AWD is probably aiding in keeping the extra traction when entering the corners at higher speeds, which is likely why you are able to power out of a corner at a faster velocity; while IPL starts to feel it wants to drift and break the loose the rear end losing some of that traction and hence sacrificing a strong and powerful exit.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #41
Ape Factory

The RS5 just accelerates more quickly. Everything happens at a higher speed in the Audi. And yes, hard to forget it's AWD when that's one of the reasons I bought it! It'll absolutely rip out of a turn in first gear, WOT, from a dead stop. It's just hook and go. I haven't even tried launch control yet.

Best way I can explain it. In the Audi, you get in and go damn fast. You're not sure how you went damn fast and didn't realize how damn fast you were going once you got to point B. You're fast in the Infiniti but she's more of an agile dance partner who lets you know when you step on her toes. But she's super sweet in those mid and high speed sweepers and will adjust her line at will with a steady and smooth throttle inputs. She's just not big on tango and she's more of a swing kinda gal, tail out.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #42
Rochester
Lifetime Premier Member

Thanked 2,449 Times in 1,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Factory View Post
She's just not big on tango and she's more of a swing kinda gal, tail out.
Hmm. Lots of anthropomorphic analogies here. Gender specific, too.

How about... Powerful figure skater vs. agile hockey player?
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #43
Ape Factory

You are so from upstate. You're almost Canadian. I kid.

Skating always seems to be controlled chaos. Plus the G's tail happy where a figure skater tries to keep everything nice and precise.
Old Yesterday, 12:54 AM   #44
Ape Factory

I decided to quiet the exhaust down and I ordered a set of AWE's resonated downpipes to match the AWE track extreme exhaust. This turns their track extreme into their touring exhaust offering and it completely eliminates drone. In fact, the in-cabin sound is quieter than my G was with Fast Intentions high flow cats and the stock IPL exhaust.

It still rips hard at WOT as you approach redline but cold starts in the morning aren't embarrassing and don't scare my neighbor's kids .

I received the downpipes on Saturday and managed to get them installed on Sunday. MUCH easier on the RS5 than the G37. Same three bolts, same PITA, hard to reach bolt but better tools and the AWE downpipes have two sections which makes it quite easy. Since I already had the AWE non-res downpipes on there, they had the supplied copper nuts which came off with very, very little effort. Still used anti-seize on everything when reassembling.

The "resonators" are actually small mufflers judging by their size. They actually look like Fast Intentions mufflers although I know AWE makes all of their components in-house, which they should for an exhaust that costs $2700 (that's cheap compared to some other options).

Once on, I realized my ground clearance was greatly reduced. I took a nice chunk out of my garage floor's leading edge. Grr. Sliding back under the next day, I had to rotate them up further but I still touch, a smidge, with a full tank. Driveway from hell.

I have one video finished and I'm woking, slowly, on one with in-car acceleration. Sounds the same with the volume turned down. Less rasp and smoother though too.