Go Back  MyG37 > The Lounge OT > The Lounge (Off Topic) > Other Cars
Reload this Page >

Twin Turbo thread Redone: Skyline lineage & Heritage

Notices
Other Cars Forum for discussing non G related cars.

Twin Turbo thread Redone: Skyline lineage & Heritage

Old 01-19-2019, 12:25 AM
gill1606

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

The R35 GTR not exactly a compact car compared to its Skyline counterpart. Despite the larger chassis, still would not term it a Muscle Car or a Tuned Muscle Car, since its power source is a 3.7 L turbo tuned V6 and not a larger displacement V8 or + engine. It would be more appropriately termed a Tuned Pony Car due to turbo V6.

Toyoda's also spelled Toyota's Lexus RCF naturally aspirated V8 powered muscle car coupe. factory stock pictured. In the USDM this is Imported Muscle.

The same RCF V8 muscle car modded to GT3 race spec calibre.

Last edited by gill1606; 01-19-2019 at 02:39 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:41 AM
gill1606

The brand new 2020 Shelby GT500, considered the most powerful Shelby GT500 released thus far. It has a supercharged 5.2 L V8 outting 700+ factory stock horsepower. Because it is a Supercharged V8, this would be more in the category of Tuned Muscle. In the USDM, this would be called domestic muscle, in other markets it would be termed imported muscle.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:39 PM
gill1606

Now that we have cleared up general powertrain based vehicle classifications, I wanted to go back to Smokey Nagata's Top Secret V8 twin turbo G35 Skyline, which he has also custom badged as a Skyline GT-R. However, all Skylines are either normally aspirated Pony cars (6 cylinder) or Tuned Pony Cars (turbo 6 cylinder), in short they are tradtionally 6 cylinder cars, not V8. However, the owner of Top Secret went against usual Skyline heritage and dropped in a Twin Turbo V8 into the engine bay, he stayed with Nissan powertrain tech by using the VK V8, the VQ V6's 8 cylinder counterpart, so its all Nissan tech, and even with the V6 and V8 being somewhat related. However, no Skyline has ever used a V8 engine.

So not only Smokey Nagata was set out to create a custom spec Skyline GT-R, via a Nissan powertrain Twin Turbo, but he inadvertently created the first Skyline GT-R Muscle Car, Tuned Muscle to be exact, since it is using Force Induction aspiration on the V8 engine. Top Secret's G35/V35 Skyline GT-R is thereby the first Skyline GT-R to occupy the Tuned Muscle Car category, while its 6 cylinder variants occupy the niche of pony or tuned pony cars.

the twin turbo VK V8

Smokey's two projects side by side, the Tuned Muscle Skyline Gt-R and the V12 powered Toyoda Supra, also probably the first and only Supra Hypercar. I imagine anything above 10 cyl. would fit supercar/hypecar categories.

This is a V8 powered twin turbo Skyline Gt-R, please just step away from the vehicle.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:23 PM
gill1606

I hope to start my own tune up business, tuning and modifying various makes and models of cars. I have a Civic LX from 2005 right now, and have started to modify it. It will most likely be my first modded out car. I plan on purchasing a used G35 coupe soon as well. I will mod both cars to my personal spec, what I believe the vehicle should become and the best way to showcase its parent company's racing prowess. I won't be going for crazy high numbers, instead focusing on making a precision killer vehicle using as many OEM parts as I can, if I can't get a performance upgrade via OEM and the aftermarket offers a better alternative, that's when I will go aftermarket. I like cars to be as OEM as possible, with aftermarket parts used as a clear upgrade from the factory original part.

So far the Civic I am working on sort of just dropped into my lap, my sibling hit a parked car while backing up, destroyed the rear bumper and right rear taillight housing. I was just looking at the car one day and decided I would go ahead and fix the car myself, I got an '03 rear bumper, and a taillight housing from my local junkyard, and attached them after removing the corresponding damaged parts. It was a simple fix. I also found out that the '05 Civics have original OEM wings from factory for aero control, I saw one on an '05 Civic coupe and loved the design, I had its '05 sedan counterpart. I decided to use the coupe spoiler on the sedan version of the car, although the sedan has its own version of spoiler. Nonetheless, the lines work very well and the spoiler looks great, there had to be some minor metal work done on the inner trunk for the wing to be properly bolt on.

All in all, at least now I finally know consciously that I want to work on cars, that I have the capability, and most importantly that I enjoy it. Maybe I will have a tuning shop of my own one day. The above describes the philosophy that my type of shop would hold. Anyway, I'll have some pics of the modded Civic up soon. Thanks for looking.

EDIT: So what does a 'precision killer' mean...it means a vehicle that is reliable, providing repeat performances that always hit a certain mark each time. That is what precision means, results that are consistent and repetitive, enhancing performance reliability.

Last edited by gill1606; 02-18-2019 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:59 PM
gill1606

Pics of the Civic sedan after installing OEM parts to replace the damaged ones. I didn't take pics of the damaged vehicle as I was in a momentum to get the work done.

The car as it sits now. Using an 03 bumper and a spoiler from an 05 coupe. Luckily I was able to find matching colors.

Side profile

The right taillight housing which replaced the damaged one

Rear quarter

Civic logo underneath spoiler

Last edited by gill1606; 03-29-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:30 PM
gill1606

Huge plans for this model in the next few years, will update as i go along. thanks.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:48 AM
gill1606

Motorsport is life. Motorsport is passion. Motorsport 4ever.

Day to Live
Daiki Kasho

The voice of life is screaming out
Surrounding everything in

When in the past there is no future
Everyday is the choices that we make
Do you know we'll always be waiting
But the truth never forgets your name

Telling me to spread these wings and fly
To far away from your Earth fly
To feel a new sunrise
Because I can't take this anymore the way you're building me inside
The day for me to live's arrived

Maybe this choice will end in failure
Maybe everything that I feel is wrong
But I can't continue second guessing
Because It'll already mean that I've stayed too long

To feel a new sunrise
Because I can't take this anymore the way you're building me inside

The voice within is screaming out
Filling my heart, surrounding
To feel a new sunrise
Because I can't take this anymore the way you're building me inside, inside

For me to live's arrived

For me to live's arrived

Songwriters: 嘉生大樹

It's All About You
Dakota Star
[VERSE 1]
Nothing left to lose
I'll see you when you call
We'll talk it over then

The calm before the storm
I never knew what's lifting you
Until it passes

Night falls, sunrise
We're still nowhere
Give me something I believe
(Something I believe)

[REFRAIN]
You're the rain and then you shine
But nothing can compare
To when the wind is in your hair

No need for something new
It drives me crazy
You don't know it's all about you

[VERSE 2]
There's someone standing there
Beside you it's not me
I wonder do you care

Falling gracefully
You've pushed me once too far
Now will you come to save me

Eyes wide open
You see nothing
You're the one needs saving
(Needs saving)

[REFRAIN]
I would drive through the night
Knowing that you're there
A thousand miles, anywhere

Like chasing all the stars
You drive me crazy

[VERSE 3]
Don't move
You'll wake me
My dreams
So happy here

We are entangled
Naked like we ought to be

Silence scares me
The air in here
Gets so heavy

Rising heart
Choking on this feeling meant to be
You and me

[REFRAIN]
You're the rain and then you shine
But nothing can compare
To when the wind is in your hair

No need for something new
It drives me crazy

It's all about you

It's all about you

Songwriters: Jonathan Peter Keep / Steve Daly / Onique Williams
It's All About You lyrics BMG Platinum Songs Us, BMG Platinum Songs, David Platz Music, BMG Gold Songs, Talpa Music, Shaye Smith Music, Green And Bloom Talent, Saregama Music United States, Stone Buddah Music LLC, Voice Of Sparrow Publishing, BMG Rights Management (Ireland) Ltd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
​​​​​​Daiki Kasho

Dakota Star

Last edited by gill1606; 03-02-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:16 PM
gill1606

Introducing the Hyundai genesis coupe, modded and the other with air ride suspension tech.

A round of applause for Hyundai for coming this far as a company. Special shout out to the Skylines G35 and G37 for serving as an inspiration to Hyundai higher ups in building the Genesis coupe.

Genesis driver base in Germany (Deutschland):

A new challenger has approached, the entire KDM--Korean Domestic Market: Kia, Hyundai and what lies ahead in their innovations and builds.

G35, the car to inspire its next gen G37 and its successor the Q60 into existence today. As well as inspire the creation of another model, the Geneisis from Hyundai. Easily a modern classic.

Last edited by gill1606; 03-08-2019 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:18 AM
gill1606

Everyone has heard of Honda's Civic Type R's, as well as Integra Type R machines, however, no one it seems is aware of the Honda "ATR".....Accord Type R sedan. The Accord Type R was released ONLY to the European Domestic Market and no where else, it was a special model released by Honda for that market only.

Below is an example of the Euro spec Honda factory built Accord Type R machine released for the UK/EU markets only.

Accord Type R using the CH1 chassis for the EDM, first Accord Type R gen from Honda Factory.

Honda later released two more Accord Type R's using later gen chassis, the CL1 and CL7 gen Accord Type R's, for the JDM market. These JDM only available machines were likely inspired by the first European market ATR's, hence although these later gen Accord Type R's were sold in the JDM, they were dubbed as Accord Euro R's.

Accord CL1 JDM only Euro R

The CL7 Accord Euro R sold only in the JDM

This last one could be the Acura TSX sold in the states, unsure whether how similar or different the builds are.

Last edited by gill1606; 03-23-2019 at 03:23 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:29 AM
gill1606

Here's the Accord low down. Type R/Euro R Accords existed from the 5th, 6th, and to the 7th generation of Accords and all are JDM/EDM only.

The 7th gen Accord had two different models for the JDM/EDM and USDM + Canada. However, the 7th gen JDM/EDM Accord was sold as the Acura TSX in the USDM and Canada, this Acura TSX however, is NOT Euro R or Type R Accord spec, sorry. It's just the normal JDM Accord sold as an Acura in the states, but its still special since you're getting a JDM Accord that is left hand drive.

Last edited by gill1606; 03-23-2019 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:55 AM
gill1606

There's alot alot more to get into when it comes to Accord, Type R/Euro R, and Acura. There's alot going on in this platform of Honda vehicle, alot of progression and evolution in the model. Not to mention great degrees of variation for this model from the Honda factory. Which makes the Accord and all its iterations a very interesting and engaging case study. I will try to organize the information recently acquired in a thoughtful and concise manner, but the Accord has hidden gems tucked away in its history and progression that non-Accord enthusiasts will simply miss by excusing it as simply an econo-commuter car for the family.

So here's the overall progression: base Accord, SiR/Si, Type R/Euro R/Type S, SE-Special Edition, TSX, TL, TLX, and the new Accords of today...the ones sporting the 1.5L turbo I4, the same turbo engine as the Civic Type R but with smaller turbo and different camshafts among some differences I recall.

I read that the Accord Euro R's may have also been called Type S's in the EDM. A Type S variant was also released for the Acura TL, while its predecessor the TSX received a special edition with either a 6 speed manual or 5 speed AT with paddle shifting.

So what we see here, is that the Accord sports many faces..pun not intended. There is a sport infusion in factory Accord models to its Acura counterparts as well. While the Acura variants of the Accord maybe more sport focused in the past and going into the future. The Accord is definitely an interesting car when it comes to performance driving reputation, since I beleive the majority excuses it as a economy car, however, throughout the Accord's history, it has been dabbling with its performance side on and off, when it finally realized it could have an identity as a full sports car in its early 90's EDM/JDM Type R variant. There were SiR models beforehand, but a factory Type R model I believe finally soldiifies the sport identity dilemma the Accord had been having since its inception. the SiR/Si versions may have had sport mods from factory, but without going too in to that focus.

However, today, the Accord is soldifiying its hold once again as a more performance machine especially through its alter ego the Acuras TSX, TL, and TLX, with TLX succeeding the aforementioned models. Even the base Accord today is offering a 1.5L turbo mated to a 6 speed MT or 10 speed AT. Just looking at it a glance, I am impressed with the Accord's progression.

Let me give a quick example of the Accord's history in the region of performance: the 80's Accord had double wishbone independent suspension on all four tires, this is the Honda Accord going back to the 80's. No car in its category had any double wishbone suspensions if at all, the Accord was the only one. Not even the R34 Skyline GT-R or any factory Skyline GT-R or Nissan GT-R even has a double wishbone design from factory, the Accord's counterparts at the time used the cheaper to make and install Macpherson Struts (which aren't bad at all, but less responsive and less costly than double wishbones), the same as the Skyline Gt-R's from Nissan factory, who use the Macpherson Strut suspension as the base of its suspension.

Not even the R35 GTR has a double wishbone and only has half of it in the form of a single A arm, two A arms on a single wheel defines double wishbone, and the R35 has a multilink susension in the rear. Compare that to an 80's Accord which has a superior suspension setup with double wishbones on all four wheels all around, the R35 being 27 years younger than the 80's Accord. The only time the Nissan GTR, or any GTR, Skyline or not, got double wishbones was when Nissan was entering the R35 GT-R into the FIA GT/GT 1 professional racing series, and even then the double wishbone suspension was only up front on the two front wheels.

Double Wishbones allow for better handling and suspension flexbility in negotitating uneven roads, they shine the most during cornering, where the suspension induces an automatic negative camber on the wheels undergoing stresses of cornering and maintaining vehicle stability.

Last edited by gill1606; 03-25-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:59 PM
gill1606

Acura TL 6 speed Type S. As close as it gets to a factory Type R Accord. Accord Type R's been under our noses the entire time.

Last edited by gill1606; 03-24-2019 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:03 PM
gill1606

Acura TSX Special Edition model, both in 5 speed AT with paddle shifting and a 6 speed variant as well. Earlier model TSX's also had a special lower weight chassis component incorporated into its design. TSX's are the JDM Accords badged as Acuras in the USDM and sold as left hand drve instead.

This special edition came in two versions 6 speed manual with a 2.4L making 201 horsepower, the TSX uses i-VTEC( intelligent VTEC) where both intake and exhaust valves are time controlled. The 5 speed AT with paddle shifting came with a 3.5L V6 making 280 HP.

Are these SE TSX models Type R caliber? Or do they fall short of that and occupy more of the Si/SiR bracket of Accord? The SE model has little improvement over the non-SE TSX models, the major one being bigger wheels at 17 x 7.5 in. Other than that, there are some minor aero mods and the rest is cosmetic. From what it seems the brakes and suspension tuning is the same as the base model, so no improvement there would probably indicate more of an Accord Si/SiR build than a full on Type R one.

An aftermarket supplier for Honda parts, Mugen, displays its mods for the 7th gen Honda Accord, the same model gen the Acura TSX is based off of in the USDM. With a supercharger and fully revised aero package this seems more of a full Type R, Type S caliber build.

Nice song for the Accords humble yet strong stance in sport builds, despite its popular niche as a family economy car. But who said economy cars cant be sport upgraded?

Last edited by gill1606; 03-24-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:30 PM
gill1606

6th gen Honda Accord (CL1) Euro R (a Type R, Type S designation). These are years 2000-2002. My dad has a 2000 Accord LX....guess what will happen to that car down the line?

Old 03-27-2019, 03:29 PM
gill1606

True Subaru potential.

their motto should be "our cars are All Wheel Drive, All Day Long."

So these videos showcase subarus type RA WRX STI. Type RA meaning "Record Attempt." They will be introducing this model type to the USDM as a road spec machine.

Last edited by gill1606; 03-30-2019 at 04:02 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Twin Turbo thread Redone: Skyline lineage & Heritage

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.