Twin Turbo thread Redone: Skyline lineage & Heritage - Page 28 - MyG37

Go Back  MyG37 > The Lounge OT > The Lounge (Off Topic) > Other Cars
Reload this Page >

Twin Turbo thread Redone: Skyline lineage & Heritage

Notices
Other Cars Forum for discussing non G related cars.

Twin Turbo thread Redone: Skyline lineage & Heritage

Old 02-09-2018, 03:30 PM
gill1606

Basically if I were to buy a 2+2 coupe, it would be a Skyline, a performance modded Skyline.

You can ask well if you are so enamored with Nissan's 2+2 coupe why go for Toyota and Mazda 2 seater coupes and not Nissan's own Z platform?

The answer would be design and aesthetic, I like sharp angular designs compared to too rounded or excessively curved ones. that said I like the Z's 4th gen iteration, the Z32 300ZX, which also used a twin turbo VG30DETT V6 powertrain.

I like 80's and 90's design better, which is also the decade of the Z32, being an early 90's model. The more recent Z33 and Z34 designs don't attract me so strongly as the 80-90's Z does. I believe it was also only the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen Z's that came turbocharged from the Nissan factory.

This fate has occurred to the MR2 as well, with its sharp and angular 80's inspiration giving way to the rounded 3rd gen MR2 Spyder, where enthusiasts of the MR2 tend to prefer the first 2 gens, if I'm not mistaken, I certainly do.

That said, I do like Nissan's 2 seater Z, but the Z32 design. Similarly, the MR2 and FC3S RX7 2 seaters have design languages that simply attract my appeal.

The first and third pics were titled 300ZX twin turbo, so those are the factory VG30DETT V6 models. There's a sharp looking covertible as well, and you have a nice side profile shot in the last photo.

The excessively rounded and shorter, the shortening accentuated the roundness of the car, 1999 Z concept changed it for me. I like the 90's Z the best.

You can ask well the Skyline's design is also always changing? Sure, but I for the most part like their design language for the Skyline model, hopefully they don't do the same thing with the Skyline, they did to the Z and made it excessively rounded.

Moreover, the Skyline is Prince's and Nissan's guinea pig, Prince developed it as a luxury sedan, but then started to experiment racing with it. Then changing its design, and changing it again over the 13 gens of Skyline. Trying various NA and turbo charged powertrains, being Nissan's first twin turbo vehicle and Japan's first turbocharged vehicle. Any other Nissan coupe or sedan have the various iterations of the ATTESA ETS AWD configs?

Now Nissan wants to introduce the F1 KERS technology through the V37 Skyline GT-R Black Sport model, sure officially its the "infiniti Q60 Black Sport," but I'm going to call it what it really is. Thus, the Skyline is Nissan's guinea pig, it will always be changing and trying new things, pushing the Nissan company forward as a whole. And so far I have liked Skyline design, hope it stays that way.

Bring back the Z32 design style!!

Last edited by gill1606; 02-11-2018 at 10:49 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gill1606 For This Useful Post:
Whitevanman (02-24-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 04:26 PM
gill1606

obviously the Skyline is going to be my top 2+2 coupe, but I will also have to add the Z32 300ZX in addition to the FC3S and MR2 as my favorite strictly 2 seater coupes.

Last edited by gill1606; 02-10-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:40 AM
gill1606

Ok what I am about to show you is the biggest slap in the face of the G35 and G37(V36) Skylines, I mean this is automotive equivalence of insulting a brand that was known for it's prowess in racing, but suddenly switched to a luxury sport genre in one generation, and then seeing a model that has had absolutely squat diddly to do with racing receive such a build while the actual related models (the Skylines), their powertrains historically and developmentally similar, be sidelined for the former.

I introduce the Juke-R. The Squat Diddly R lol.

wtf??

Ok I'm the one with the dumb custom spec Skyline GT-R definition? Well, apparently Nissan has better ideas on what to do with twin turbo Skyline GT-R/Nissan GT-R powertrain.

Man, even though a Skyline finally got the VR twin turbo in the V37 gen, it would have been insane if the G35 and G37 had such limited edition racing spec VR twin turbo models. Would have been the rarest V35 and V36 factory released Skylines of their gen.

Nissan released a total of 13 Juke R models. That could have been 13 potential proper factory released Skyline GT-R models for the G35 and G37.

Last edited by gill1606; 02-13-2018 at 04:02 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:37 AM
RMB5190

IMO, the Juke is the modern day Aztec. That car is ugly as sin and Nissan putting that powertrain into it reminds me of a 'Pimp my Ride' episode.
The Following User Says Thank You to RMB5190 For This Useful Post:
gill1606 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 02:44 PM
gill1606

Originally Posted by RMB5190 View Post
IMO, the Juke is the modern day Aztec. That car is ugly as sin and Nissan putting that powertrain into it reminds me of a 'Pimp my Ride' episode.
Yeah a really bad episode of pimp my ride over at Nissan HQ.

Maybe Xzibit was on the design team at Nissan during the planning of this car??? Lol who knows

Seeing this they could have easily released a Skyline 370GT as a factory tuned Skyline 370GT-R, ie a factory V36 Skyline GT-R. But nope! Let's make a Sentra SE-R and a freaking Juke R, smh.

Last edited by gill1606; 02-13-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:52 PM
RMB5190

Toyota releasing a new Supra (albeit AT only) while Nissan is over here boosting Jukes.

Didn't help the lack of LSD in the RWD Q lineup...
The Following User Says Thank You to RMB5190 For This Useful Post:
gill1606 (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 08:31 PM
gill1606

They've been slacking off apparently. They probably had to go into making the black sport Q60 because of these Supra rumors. Obviously with the weight and powertrain, and rumors of a pure sport, driver's car Toyota intends the new Supra to be, it will blow the present Q60 red sport right out of the water.

The black sport whenever released will have to be able to rival this new Supra or Infiniti will appear to fall behind the performance genre, whereas the new Supra will become all of the center of attention. Probably even steel potential Q60 red sport sales as well. Unless the promised black sport can deliver, sometimes the high performance model helps in popularity and helps with sales in the lesser sporty models.

Toyota FT1 concept, may very well be the forebear to the new Supra design. Toyota promises to make this a sport dedicated model, or "driver's car" according to an article, the chassis will be a very light 3200 lbs, much lighter compared to the Q60's near 4,000 lb curb weight. However, Toyota is partnering with BMW on this project and the chassis will be shared with the BMW Z4, what I find odd is also that the powertrain is also said to be that of BMW as well!?!? Which I find weird since at least the Q60 is still using Nissan engine tech, developed from v6 engines in a twin turbo format, while the new Supra will be powered by a non-Toyota engine either a V6 or i6 twin turbo supplied by BMW.

So the chassis is BMW and the powertrain, what part of the new Supra will be Toyota? Perhaps the outer shell design, if not the chassis platform. The JZ engines used in previous gen Supras were Toyota engines if I'm not mistaken...

The Q60 coupe is an original Infiniti chassis design not directly lifted from the chassis of another manufacturer's vehicle and the powertrain is also in house Nissan developed. It's one to thing to base a chassis design on another platform and make it similar but with your own uniqueness, but another to directly lift the exact same unaltered chassis core.

However, this practically BMW Toyota Supra may very well spell bad news for Infiniti unless they release a serious sport dedicated model.

Last edited by gill1606; 02-14-2018 at 04:36 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:50 AM
RMB5190

I've heard pretty much the same things you have. BMW power train at an expected 320-350 hp/tq. With that, I think the RS400 has a challenger considering the power-weight ratio but in terms of straight line performance, probably close to dead even. The Supra will more than likely be the better track performer. I believe I read somewhere that they expect it to be similar to that of the M2 in terms of power/performance/handling? If that's the case, if they can sell it for under $50k this car will catch FIRE(expect $60k +...). The partnership is basically no different than the Toyota Subaru partnership; where Subaru provided the power plant there.

I really expect this gen Supra to miss the mark and be a let down for enthusiasts; much like the Q was for the majority of this forum. No MT, BMW powertrain (cue the pump failures), not even DCT. I also anticipate the price point being ridiculous as Toyota tries to take advantage of the mk II's memory. They price it at $60k+, people will have the same reaction as though they were buying any other $60k Toyota....pass.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:08 PM
gill1606

The article said something about lithium ion batteries harnessing braking friction for increased horsepower output on demand, as well as something about an accompanying electric motor, I'm not sure what thats about, but the ion battery tech is pretty much the KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) Infiniti will be putting in the concept Black Sport as well. So if they are investing this much into a solid and assisted powertrain technology, creating these sort of extended powertrains with KERS and or accompanying electric motors, they will surely not drop the ball with the transmission. If no MT then it will be a capable tranny, not like the Q60's 7AT.

I do suppose that if Supra enthusiasts have any problem, it's going to be the fact that the next Toyota Supra is actually going to be a BMW! Beamer powertrain, Beamer platform and chassis (I don't know if it will be the exact Z4 platform used for the Supra which it seems it is since they will be made in the same factory), even if chassis and suspension engineering will be Toyota, most of the vehicle's most integral parts are already BMW. And if it will perform similar to an M2 as you say, then the Bavarian Motor Company may even be helping Toyota with tuning suspension, ride quality, turning/cornering capability as well. Where the chassis platform is already Z4, it's ride Dynamics may also be BMW created as well.

So let's see what Supra enthusiasts say, how keen are they in their suspicion of non-toyota parts and Dynamics, will they accept that Toyota has created a new Supra, or will it be a BMW Supra? Will they object to a BMW created Supra, or will they be more loyal to the original Supra which are pure Toyota creations, perhaps inspired from here and there but still at the end a Toyota created product with the uniqueness of that company's input and twist on whatever inspired them.

Last edited by gill1606; 02-14-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:23 PM
gill1606

Custom developed Skyline GT-T single turbo powertrain producing 537 HP and 460 TQ.

The same V36 Skyline Gt-T running a 11.9 sec quarter mile, driver has run as low as 11.2 sec with this setup.

VQ37VHR-T. This is also a rear mount or remote mount setup single turbo.

Last edited by gill1606; 02-23-2018 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:55 PM
gill1606

I love this video, it's a car meet of various makes and models, the V35 Skyline showcasing it's powertrain capability at 3:20 and the R34 Skyline displaying it's twin turbo power at 8:16. I love the ice blue TE37 Volk wheels on the R34, my personal preference.

The powertrain specification for the V35 was not detailed in this video, it could be a single turbo GT-T or twin turbo GT-R engine setup, however, there is a very proud GT-R badge on the V35 Skyline's trunk indicating it may very well be a VQ35DETT twin turbo powertrain.

The R34 looks to be a factory produced R34 Skyline GT-R and obviously has the RB26DETT twin turbo powertrain.

Awesome video, made me smile.

Someone in Japan recorded the sounds of an RB i6 vs the VQ V6. The video above this one can also help compare the sound of both engines, whereas the V35 is VQ and the R34 RB.

Last edited by gill1606; 02-22-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:49 PM
gill1606

Originally Posted by RMB5190 View Post
No dude, there is one more Nissan that has similar styling to the Juke, it's called the Nissan Leaf. I swear if Nissan decides to make a "Leaf-R" I am going to have to ask the enthusiast community to take the Skyline off of Nissan's hands. That's enough abuse and neglect lol.

Last edited by gill1606; 02-23-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:52 AM
RMB5190

I mean, the Leaf is more focused to compete with the Prius and other similar models in that field but TBH, there isn't a Nissan model that I'd take over the competition; NISMO or not. All NISMO has become is a glorified body kit. Outside of the GT-R, Nissan is looking more and more like Mitsubishi every year...In Nissan's defense though, it seems every manufacturer's in house tuning and motorsport divisions are becoming watered down.

While the choices and advancements in cars over the past 10 years is great, it's a shame to see the Americans as the only brand pumping out exotic builds lol. Even the dealerships are getting involved. Ohio based dealer is offering a stage 3 whipple build with 800 horses and a built 6 speed transmission for 43-45k?
Old 02-24-2018, 01:33 AM
gill1606

Wow that is impressive, 800 hp aftermarket added Whipple supercharger on a Mustang with an aftermarket built 6 speed before the car has even been sold from the dealership! That's a lot of work, they are either confident it will sell, or are making it as enticing as possible so as to attract buyers.

But honestly, a Mustang built like that, any car, built like that will most definitely sell. Those Mustangs will go fast, because if you make a competitive product like that, it will inevitably attract buyers.

The key here is price range and 40-45K seems like a steel for the FI and transmission work done. It'll sell fast.

Pretty gutsy from what we see with the usual manufacturer, dealership offering. Carrol Shelby must be back from the dead. It's like if an Infiniti dealership offered to twin turbo charge your G37 IPL model right after the car was delivered to them from the factory, but charge you only 5-7K above MSRP. Pretty gutsy.

Last edited by gill1606; 02-24-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:19 PM
gill1606

Actually saw a factory R32 Skyline GT-R merge onto the freeway today. Was driving alongside checking out the car, tail lights, chassis, tires, etc. It was really unexpected and surprising to see one all of a sudden.

I left home just at the right time, getting about an hour into my drive, to see it perfectly merge onto the freeway I was on. It was fate! My exit was just coming up so didn't stay too long, but really cool to actually see an R32 in person.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Twin Turbo thread Redone: Skyline lineage & Heritage

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.