Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Shopping for a used g37

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Decaf
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The mechanic said the clutch was in good shape which he found surprising since its the original clutch. The salesman noted he has an 06 G35 with 209K on the clock and the original clutch. I would have called BS but my boss (57 year old guy) has never replaced a clutch in his entire life and he has plenty of high mileage cars. I am going to chalk this up to driving style.

What is the cost of replacing a clutch?

I will note that I am a 34 year old man and havent driven stick since college, that clutch will be toast in 3 months, so reduce it by X price. LOL
Old 12-06-2018, 12:22 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I'm gonna assume the clutch is new from the transmission swap...which was 60k (ish) ago and not an unreasonable amount, but you are right, some people who drive well and baby the car never need it done, which is also a good sign for you as it suggests the car was babied/taken care of ...

I honestly have no idea how much a clutch change might be, but a wild guess would put it in the $1000-1500 range again depending on local market rates for labour and if you want to upgrade the clutch when you do it... poke around on here about the CSC issues on these cars I think people tend to do them at the same time because the CSC is known to fail, and a popular upgrade is the RJM clutch pedal which may assist in prolonging clutch life poke around on the site here about that too theres plenty of threads on it
Old 12-06-2018, 01:21 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Hashim
I really doubt that was the case....looks like he was just buying a couple at a time and doing oil changes at home...(notice theres no oil changes in the service records)...that ester oil is quite expensive ($18USD a quart on amazon) so I don't blame him for grabbing couple at a time instead of shelling out $100 each time to keep the garage stocked
idk logically if youre doing it for oil changes you would grab what you need for the change. makes no difference to grab it 1 or 2 per visit to the dealer. who does that? but who knows. the owner obviously has money to spend at the dealer i doubt he is grabbing 2 to save some kind of money.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:31 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Decaf
Thanks for that. I thought of that right after, "Duh he is changing his own oil".

Yes, I think $10.8 is high. But am I correctly valuing the Winter Tires/Rims @ $1500? If So, I think $10K is fairly reasonable. But yes, I will try to get them down.
is the car at the dealership it was serviced at? if it is maybe u can ask the service guy about the oil stuff, assuming theyd be honest about it. but they will remember for sure considering how often they serviced the car. but i would also think that if the car was burning oil the owner woulda brought it up and it would be in the notes. if the owner was going to the dealer for every little thing i kind of doubt he was doing his own oil changes. but then he could be taking it to a friend but then i would think his friend or indy shop would be able to take care of all the other things he got serviced at the dealer as well so idk lol. its jus all illogical lol. good luck with the choice.

i personally would prefer a car with less miles
Old 12-06-2018, 11:59 PM
Decaf
Registered Member

It is the same dealership.

At some point, I gotta take a risk even when everything I wanted was met. I wanted a high mileage car with 1 owner, no accidents, and a complete service history in athens blue and a wheat interior preferably with the "S". And that's exactly what I have here.

It doesn't seem logical but if the customer came in saying it burned oil, im sure it would have popped up somewhere in the service record. And thats when it popped in my head...look at where he lives and the nearest Infiniti Dealer. He lived 1.5 hours away from the dealer and it was the only dealer in the area. He didn't buy a case of the oil, cause how do you transport a case in the coupe? Im effin Colombo over here lololol.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:07 AM
saywat?
Registered Member

Per oil change only needs 5 qts. Why would u need a case and either way it will fit in the car not sure wat u mean. Kinda surprised u prefer the wheat lol
Old 12-07-2018, 05:23 AM
Decaf
Registered Member

The plot thickens! Yeah for some reason i thought couldn't get a large box in the trunk of the coupe.

i know i know, im in the minority but i dont like black interiors!

thanks for the input. I'll keep you updated.
​​
Old 12-07-2018, 03:26 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

the standard of trunk design seems to be by how many golf bags you can put in it lol the g coup you can put 2.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:17 PM
Decaf
Registered Member

Something smells fishy.

The salesguy was out. So I called the service department directly and talked to a guy who when asked about the 2 quarts of ester oil said "yeah, that guy was very particular, he always asked for two quarts of the stuff"

i said, "from the outside it would appear like the car is burning oil".

he said " nah, that guy was just very particular. He took good care of that car".

i was feeling better and then asked "but why 2 instead of 5 quarts?"

i cant remember exactly what he said but he finished the conversation saying its an oil additive, not oil.

i hung up.....then i was like wtf. Im pretty sure thats oil. Am inwrong?
Old 12-07-2018, 06:20 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

lol particular about what tho?
Old 12-07-2018, 06:43 PM
Decaf
Registered Member

Particular about not having that red oil light on
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (12-07-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 01:05 PM
Decaf
Registered Member

This one did not end up working out. I really wanted it, but having owned a few businesses in my life and having been ripped off, I know when to listen to that little warning light in my head that goes off.

Its definitely a shame as those blue just don't come up often. I also have a blue in Texas with 93K miles but its an "X" and I was hoping for the manual transmission. I can live without the suspension and brakes but to really enjoy that engine I am thinking the manual is a nice touch.

However, I wanted to use this forum to thank this mechanic in Texas (http://www.arlingtonautorepairshop.com/), because this was one of the few mechanics who gave me so high-res video since I was not local(
). If your ever in need of a mechanic in TX,this guy obviously takes his work seriously.

The search continues.

Last edited by Decaf; 12-10-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:54 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
If you're patient you'll find just what you're looking for, they are out there! G'Luck!
Old 12-11-2018, 02:11 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

anyone else have the dimple in the dirver side door panel too? bc i have that too and seeing it on another car is kinda funny
Old 12-30-2018, 08:52 AM
Decaf
Registered Member

I ended up purchasing the blue G37X pictured in the video above. It was just too clean and while I was sad to give up a manual, i was happy with the softer suspension and less constricting seats for me.

I made one mistake --- it had no backup camera and nav. The camera i can add, but i do miss the nav. It was my mistake, the other 6 I had looked at had those options so I took it for granted (and I wasnt local so only realized when i flew in and put it in Reverse! )

i picked it up on Xmas eve in Grand Prairie, TX and drove it home in 3 days picking some spectacualr byways to sample. This car is a blast and a grand touring machine! I have back issues and never had a problem driving 12 hours a day. Even with the mistake, Im happy with the purchase.

I rode the Talimena Scenic drive, Natchez Parkway, Cherohala Skyway, Tail Of The Dragon, Blue Ridge Parkway. Since it was Xmas, there was no one around! I never knew driving a car could be so fun.

28 hours of driving, 1800 miles.

Some pics to follow.

Quick Reply: Shopping for a used g37