Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Basic first 3 mods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 10:16 PM
Sadg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basic first 3 mods?

Just recently got a 09 g37 and was wondering what are the most basic mods to get first? Exhaust? Cold air intake? Any would anyone be able to recommend any brands for a decent price? New to this and just want to be sure what im going with on my parts

edit : clarification its a 09 sedan and Recommendations preferably CA Legal as well
Old 09-12-2018, 08:08 AM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
Check out the newbie corner, have fun

https://www.myg37.com/forums/newbie-...read-this.html

https://www.myg37.com/forums/newbie-...rformance.html

Old 09-12-2018, 11:26 AM
Sadg37

Originally Posted by Vizard_87
Appreciate the feedback after reading, im still kinda at a lost, is there a specific mod that should be done first? Ex if i just wanted to jump into exhaust mods, is there any mods that should be added before the exhaust?
Old 09-12-2018, 11:49 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
As a sedan owner, focus on the suspension and tire 'mod' first. Improving the boat like handling will leave you in awe and set you up for other mods. Example: some exhausts hang lower than others so get your suspension right then move on from there.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:51 AM
Sadg37

Originally Posted by RMB5190
As a sedan owner, focus on the suspension and tire 'mod' first. Improving the boat like handling will leave you in awe and set you up for other mods. Example: some exhausts hang lower than others so get your suspension right then move on from there.
i have the tires done already, 18' STRs. im not too concerned about lowering it or anything since it gently scrapes on some roads as it is already. Is there any mods i should look into after tires/suspension besides exhaust
Old 09-12-2018, 11:55 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
You have a AWD or RWD?
Old 09-12-2018, 12:05 PM
Sadg37

You have a AWD or RWD?
its rwd. Ill attach a photo to give better idea

edit ; photo attached

Side view

Back view
Old 09-12-2018, 01:06 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
#1 Fuzzy Dice
#2 Bumper Stickers
#3 Dukes of Hazard Horn

Seriously, we can't really help you without knowing what you're looking to achieve (horsepower/looks/etc.) and even then it's all subjective. Someone might say you need to lower the car, which you don't want. The links Vizard sent pretty much covers it all unless you have specific questions. I'd suggest you see what others have done for some inspiration https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...dan-today.html
Old 09-12-2018, 01:09 PM
Sadg37

Originally Posted by NealP
#1 Fuzzy Dice
#2 Bumper Stickers
#3 Dukes of Hazard Horn

Seriously, we can't really help you without knowing what you're looking to achieve (horsepower/looks/etc.) and even then it's all subjective. Someone might say you need to lower the car, which you don't want. The links Vizard sent pretty much covers it all unless you have specific questions. I'd suggest you see what others have done for some inspiration https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...dan-today.html
A little bit of both preformance and for looks honestly

im just more in the fear of adding a mod and the next mod not being installed due to the previous mod (if that makes sense) ive had some friends tell me some mods dont go with other mods, just looking for precautions with mods and what do and dont go together
Old 09-12-2018, 02:11 PM
f4d3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Assuming your wheels and tires are good to go. Sway bars, front lip, intakes (3" from Mike Upton or Admin if you want to get a tune), high flow cat (art/test pipe if no emission inspection), exhuast, bored TB/EPS 70mm TB, ported upper and lower manifold, header, and then tune.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:15 PM
Sadg37

Originally Posted by f4d3
Assuming your wheels and tires are good to go. Sway bars, front lip, intakes (3" from Mike Upton or Admin if you want to get a tune), high flow cat (art/test pipe if no emission inspection), exhuast, ported TB/EPS 70mm TB, ported upper and lower manifold, header, and then tune.
is there any order i should follow mods? Like if i wanted to get a exhaust should i have another part modded before hand?

sorry if its a lot of questions
Old 09-12-2018, 03:14 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Regarding power mods, they can be done in any order except a tune. That needs to be done last or after you go with 3" intakes or forced-induction. Power mods added after a tune usually require a retune so it's cheaper to do it last.

Most people like to start with the exhaust as it's rather quiet from the factory. Just decide at the outset if you someday intend to install a cat-back. It's cheaper to save for that than start axle-back, then add a mid-pipe, then add resonators. Resonators are a must, otherwise you'll get rasp. Everbody seems to hate rasp.

I heartily recommend Hotchkis/Stillen sway bars as they make a dramatic improvement in handling. Even just adding the rear sport sway bar helps. Lowering springs or coil-overs are usually next though I don't recommend lowering springs because they are too soft. Even most coil-overs are too soft, spring wise. Don't let anyone tell you that you can make up for it with stiff damping; it doesn't work that way. You need at least 11kg/mm front spring rate and 8kg/mm rear. Keep in mind the G37 (V36 platform) is the same as the 370Z (Z34 platform) as far as suspension goes. In fact, almost every coil-over marketed for the G is actually designed for the Z. Only AWD coil-overs are bespoke to the G.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:17 PM
G37sUPRA
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I strongly believe in spacers (especially if you have 19" enkeis). Cold air intake and exhaust.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:08 PM
monstur

i went for lowering springs as the first mod
Old 09-21-2018, 03:33 PM
BasicallyAG

I live in FLA, so my first and most critical mod was TINT! Nothing too illegal, 15% ceramic all around.

Next was the one that will give you the most noticeable change, WHEELS and TIRES. Ebay came thru with a sick deal on a set of Rays and I added the best bang for buck tires - Firestone Indy 500.

I am awaiting my next mod; it is important to please all the senses, so a beautiful ARK grip exhaust will have me driving windows down and radio off

Quick Reply: Basic first 3 mods?