Build Threads

Found my unicorn!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 11:49 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
Found my unicorn!

So I found the 2013 G37 6MT sedan that I'd been looking for.

As in my 'what mechanical issues to look for thread':

2013 6MT, 44k miles, black on black, florida tint on the windows (might have to come off for SC), black 20" wheels of some sort.

No pics on the work computer, but look at my other threads and I have some up from this past weekend when I got it.

[edit: see below]

Been spending time reading all the forae here, just started looking at nicoclub.

Observations so far:
1. Torque! I've clearly been driving Mazdas for too long.
2. Everyone wants to race me - I've had 3 3x0Zs try to run me on the interstate and a G35 coupe on the way to work this AM. Really? I'm driving sanely at the time and the car doesn't *look* racerish.
3. Not a fan of whatever is on those 20" wheels. No real feedback as to slip limit, so I'm still tiptoeing around corners.
4. Also a little surprised at the sport seat lower side bolsters. I've actually got a bruise, and I do not have a huge bottom. My wife doesn't fit in the seat at all, but she's got hips. Might have to dig around and remove the metal bars I've read about.

Still learning all the nav/radio config stuff, and learning the clutch engagement point. I think the RJM pedal might be in the future.

Also noted, shouldn't a 6MT Sport sedan have the sport chin spoiler? Or is that coupes only? I surely don't have one, and the carfax didnt mention any accidents nor does it look like any work has been done to the car under or inside the bumper cap.

so... yay me!

Last edited by rotarymike; 12-30-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:59 PM
GdaddyNY
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Yes! Yay for you! I gave up on searching for one for 6 months that fit my criteria. I did find my X sedan though which is more practical for where I live (NY). Glad you found a sweet 6mt Sedan. Also, sport chin spoiler is an option, did not automatically come on sport models. Best of luck with your G
Old 05-31-2018, 04:42 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Good to know on the chin spoiler. I'm not 100% in love with any of the aero options. Been told that the M37 aero kit looks nice but I'm not sure what that looks like on a G37.

I've been looking since right after Christmas. Had a reliable if boring DD so wasn't in any hurry - but I was starting to consider other options like an STI with a wing-ectomy.

First G37 I drove was a 2010 X. The torque transfer felt weird on sweeping turns (on/off ramps). Second was a 6MT Coupe, to see what I thought about the manual transmission. That so changed the feeling of the car that I decided to wait for what I wanted.

And wait. And wait. This one isn't perfect, but it's pretty darn good. And driving it is making me think it was worth it.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:13 PM
GdaddyNY
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Yeah, the X Sedan definitely drives different compared to RWD sedans or coupes. I still enjoy it and it has plenty of grab and launch for me, I enjoy winding roads. I fell in love with a 6MT Sedan I test drove, that’s why I decided on a G ( always been a Nissan guy too). I think all the G models are desirable IMO. Keep looking for aero options, I like the oe chin spoiler on the sport bumper, but it is common. Lots of carbon fiber body components available as well
Old 05-31-2018, 09:56 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
So I found the 2013 G37 6MT sedan that I'd been looking for.

Congratulations!!

Observations so far:
1. Torque! I've clearly been driving Mazdas for too long.

I don't exactly think the motor has a lot of torque (peak is at 5200 IIRC) but it revs fast, and the gearing lets you keep it on the boil.

2. Everyone wants to race me - I've had 3 3x0Zs try to run me on the interstate and a G35 coupe on the way to work this AM. Really? I'm driving sanely at the time and the car doesn't *look* racerish.

It's the 20" wheels

3. Not a fan of whatever is on those 20" wheels. No real feedback as to slip limit, so I'm still tiptoeing around corners.

Yeah, looked at the pics, not a fan. I bet you could sell the 20" wheels and OE 18"s and fund coupe 19"s

4. Also a little surprised at the sport seat lower side bolsters. I've actually got a bruise, and I do not have a huge bottom. My wife doesn't fit in the seat at all, but she's got hips. Might have to dig around and remove the metal bars I've read about.

Give it a few weeks. I initially thought the same thing, but have grown to love the seats. I'm 5'10 175 and fit great.

Still learning all the nav/radio config stuff, and learning the clutch engagement point. I think the RJM pedal might be in the future.

I never learned the navigation. In almost 6 years I've never setup bluetooth or tried voice commands

RJM clutch pedal + STS + sway bars. Best. Mods. Ever.

Welcome to the 3 pedal club
Old 05-31-2018, 11:13 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I was looking for the hotchkis sways on tire rack and they say they don't have them for the G37. Is there some magic configuration I need to list to see them?

I did get the bluetooth set up - thanks goodness, else the drive from Orlando to Charleston SC without Pandora would have been painful.

I've been meaning to look at 370z wheels and see if they are something I'd be interested in. Although, I'll likely keep the oem wheels. Nice to have a full set to throw on the car when you're looking for something else.

Also - most cars these days, especially premium cars where ride comfort is an important selling point, are engineered so that the weight of the wheel + tire and the sidewall flex are effectively suspension / traction design elements. That is, you put a heavier wheel (20 vs 18 for example) and the suspension is less reactive and therefore you have less lateral traction due mostly to the weight, but also due to changing the center point of the wheels / offset and the sidewall flex. You can engineer your way to better, but it is not as simple as throwing on bigger/wider wheels. For that reason I'm always more interested in the OEM wheel options and/or true racing wheels like Enkei or BBK wrapped in Kumho or Yokohama rather than something from RimTyme with no-name tires on them.

...why yes, I did used to drive an RX7 as a daily with shaved Kumho Victoracer tires and Hawk Blues on the street...
Old 06-01-2018, 10:53 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

The following users liked this post:
Lynn49 (05-19-2020)
Old 06-01-2018, 10:54 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Wasn't there a spoiler that replaced the chrome trunk finisher only, that added just a bit more lip to the trunk? Not a whale tail.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:57 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
You could also paint of vinyl wrap the OE chrome.

I went the color matched route.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:12 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Actually looking for aero rather than just divesting the chrome.
The following users liked this post:
BigSpoon (11-09-2021)
Old 06-01-2018, 11:15 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Congrats on the Unicorn Mike, lol @ RimTyme
Old 06-04-2018, 12:47 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Look for 370Z, too, when search for Hotchkis. The G is a stretched Z and almost every suspension part for the Z fits the G.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:35 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
As far as OEM wheels, might look at the Nismo Z front (19x9.5 +40) wheels, light, forged, and made by Rays
https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...et-fronts.html
Old 06-06-2018, 02:53 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Like slartibartfast said, the Hotchkis sways are listed for the Z on Tire Rack.

Here is the link if it helps.... Tire Rack

Welcome to the 6MT club!
Old 06-06-2018, 04:37 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Awesome! Thanks for the link.

Because of the pointers to 370zs, I've been researching them too. Do our 6MT cars have the rev-match feature the 6MT z cars do? I don't think mine does, but then again it occasionally fights me when I heel and toe. I thought it was just inexperience with the chassis feel.

Quick Reply: Found my unicorn!