Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Joined the club! 2015 Q60S Limited 7AT

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 05:55 PM
GP28
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joined the club! 2015 Q60S Limited 7AT

Hey All!

Just picked up a car I'm really excited about: 2015 Q60S Limited 7AT in Majestic White

I'm hoping the forums can tell me a little more about the Limited and what that package really means since I'm getting all kinds of weird info online. I had planned on doing some light mods, but just bought a 5-year extended warranty so guess I won't be going too crazy. Looking forward to joining the conversation and learning more!
Attached Thumbnails Joined the club! 2015 Q60S Limited 7AT-photo446.jpg  
Old 05-21-2018, 05:57 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Congratulations! Send your club dues to me. Let's say, oh, $3,000 USD. Yeah, that's the ticket!
Old 05-21-2018, 05:59 PM
GP28
Registered Member

Lol I'll get right on that...
Old 05-21-2018, 10:30 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site, nice coupe you scored. No need to hold back on the mods, there's a lot you can do without voiding the warranty. Have fun!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:18 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Congratulations! Send your club dues to me. Let's say, oh, $3,000 USD. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Old 05-22-2018, 11:08 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Back when SNL was still funny.
The following users liked this post:
r2dmax (05-23-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 12:38 PM
GP28
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site, nice coupe you scored. No need to hold back on the mods, there's a lot you can do without voiding the warranty. Have fun!
I had intake, exhaust and tune on my previous car but it was super easy to return to stock before a dealer visit. Maybe I'll find a "mod friendly" dealer near me. Intake without a tune is such a catch 22 since the tune can get the AFR back to safe/ideal parameters but the tune can void the warranty. Or you go without a tune and lean out the engine slightly and something happens to the engine and they blame it on running lean... I'm not sure if my logic is correct but it seems like a problem
Old 05-22-2018, 03:09 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Nissan uses mass airflow sensor with fuel maps that can support intake and exhaust changes most of us make. A tune isn't normally required though a good tuner can take advantage of the changes you've made.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:42 PM
GP28
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Nissan uses mass airflow sensor with fuel maps that can support intake and exhaust changes most of us make. A tune isn't normally required though a good tuner can take advantage of the changes you've made.
Ah ok... I'm guessing this system is a little smarter than the MAF in my old '05 mustang lol. I also just remembered that tune was only required if you changed the pipe diameter around the MAF on that car.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:43 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Nice coupe!
I also recently got a Q60. Just wrapping up a lease on a 2016 GTI. Regarding mods, after owning a easily modified turbo car, I wouldn't mess with a G/Q too much. While $400 gets an extra 80hp/100tq in my GTI, the same money won't get much from our cars. Heck, a few thousand doesn't do much. Not that these cars need anything imo.
With the GTI, it's tempting to test the limits because they are so palatable.
I almost don't think you'll ever use your warranty, but if warranty matters to you, don't mess with the car too much as the gains wouldn't be worth risking the warranty you have. Style mods won't affect your warranty though.
The following users liked this post:
GP28 (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 08:38 PM
GP28
Registered Member

Originally Posted by takemorepills
Nice coupe!
I also recently got a Q60. Just wrapping up a lease on a 2016 GTI. Regarding mods, after owning a easily modified turbo car, I wouldn't mess with a G/Q too much. While $400 gets an extra 80hp/100tq in my GTI, the same money won't get much from our cars. Heck, a few thousand doesn't do much. Not that these cars need anything imo.
With the GTI, it's tempting to test the limits because they are so palatable.
I almost don't think you'll ever use your warranty, but if warranty matters to you, don't mess with the car too much as the gains wouldn't be worth risking the warranty you have. Style mods won't affect your warranty though.
Yeah, I've been reading the forums almost non-stop for the last few days. Some conclusions/insight after extensive use of search:
CAI - Stillen Gen 2 comes closest to what i would want (enclosed boxes, no bumper removal), but the price and appearance (not into the polished tubes) make it a no-go. Silicone tubes and drop-in filters seem like a fine option.

Exhaust - the sport exhaust the car came with is worth keeping, and these cars seem to gain decent power from a y-pipe and mid-pipe. Tanabe mid-pipe and slightly cheaper y-pipe from some other company could be in the future.

Wheels - the stock wheels are actually really heavy, a little disappointed with that knowing of Nissan's relationship with Rays and the wheels that have gone on the Zs and G35. Still no plans on changing the wheels.

Tires - the dealer just put on a set of Hankook Ventus V12s so I'm kind of screwed unless I can sell them, Continental Extremecontact look like a fine/cheaper alternative to PS4s. I had the V12s on my previous car. Super mediocre and will last a long time lol.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:59 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by GP28
Yeah, I've been reading the forums almost non-stop for the last few days. Some conclusions/insight after extensive use of search:
CAI - Stillen Gen 2 comes closest to what i would want (enclosed boxes, no bumper removal), but the price and appearance (not into the polished tubes) make it a no-go. Silicone tubes and drop-in filters seem like a fine option.

Exhaust - the sport exhaust the car came with is worth keeping, and these cars seem to gain decent power from a y-pipe and mid-pipe. Tanabe mid-pipe and slightly cheaper y-pipe from some other company could be in the future.

Wheels - the stock wheels are actually really heavy, a little disappointed with that knowing of Nissan's relationship with Rays and the wheels that have gone on the Zs and G35. Still no plans on changing the wheels.

Tires - the dealer just put on a set of Hankook Ventus V12s so I'm kind of screwed unless I can sell them, Continental Extremecontact look like a fine/cheaper alternative to PS4s. I had the V12s on my previous car. Super mediocre and will last a long time lol.
I had Y-pipes on my VQ35 swapped Maxima, and even without a tune the Y-pipes DID add a decent bump in power. Even though it was an AT car, it would get a decent amount of wheelspin at the 1st-2nd upshift. Without the Y-pipes, no 1-2 wheelspin. I know, real scientific!

I too have been looking at black silicone intake tubes and stock airboxes with K&Ns. Seems like a good option and not too much $$ whilst cleaning up the engine bay a bit.

I've tuned/modded a few cars in my time, and my GTI was the best car I have owned in regards to tuning rewards. That car is seriously quick with a JB4, but I am all about reliability now. It also helps that these coupes have a very nice sounding stock exhaust. No offense to anyone, but I don't get why anyone would want a different exhaust on these cars.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:07 PM
GP28
Registered Member

The VQ exhaust note is so distinct. The sport exhaust on the limited sounds great but is honestly kind of loud for my taste. I had Borla s-types on my Mustang and swore I'd never have an obnoxious loud car again lol. I like the JDM backstory to the sport muffler (made by Fujitsubo for Nissan), and the fact that it's kind of rare. It also helps that I can tell people it's bone stock if they b*tch at me.

The issue with the exhaust is the ridiculous numbers it seems like people are getting with just a catback. It's like you'd be nuts not to do it. Good to know you had a good experience with the y-pipe on your Maxima.