Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Replacing the battery for my G

Old 12-31-2017, 06:11 AM
Omar_Elharis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing the battery for my G

Hey guys i own a 2012 G37
My battery is near to its expiry date , so im changing my battery today , my only option is a 60amps varta battry , is there any other specific details to consider?
Does low battery cause transmission flare ?
Old 12-31-2017, 10:39 AM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
If the battery is still holding a charge and still tests good then there is no need to replace it just because it is near some imaginable expiry date.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:40 AM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Are people still giving Optima money?!?!

Originally Posted by stealthee
If the battery is still holding a charge and still tests good then there is no need to replace it just because it is near some imaginable expiry date.
^^^ this.
If you still want to change it out;
https://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-35-PC1400T-Automotive-LTV-Battery/dp/B002496HM0

Old 12-31-2017, 10:55 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Not sure about the newer G OEM batteries but mine had cells that you could fill and keep tabs on the water levels. If your battery has those removable caps I'd check that first.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:26 AM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I remember going to the LA Autoshow one year and it was the debut of Optima, I think they were selling for around 100 or less. I had an old Montgomery Wards battery that was supposedly 1000 cca. So I was like meh.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:55 AM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by stealthee
I agree with you on this. However, I live in Iowa (-13 air temp as I write this, -24 last weekend) so there is some peace of mind in replacing before failure. Sure - I have AAA so a jump isn't an issue, however I replaced my original battery (2011) in November so I wouldn't need to worry about it. I can't fault anyone looking to proactively replace their battery as it reaches 5+ years old and they live in a cold climate. Plus - just as you don't know how a used engine was treated you don't know how many times the battery has been deep cycled.

OP - nothing special to replace the battery and it should take you less than 30 minutes. Here's a video from YouTube. One thing to note - I recommend disconnecting the negative first (Alex does positive) to reduce the chances of shorting.

-Eric

Old 01-06-2018, 10:43 AM
stealthee
Registered Member

Note I said if the battery tests good... you can go to any auto parts store and they can quickly test your cca. If the cca is in spec then there is no need to replace it just because it's "old."
Old 01-06-2018, 10:49 AM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by llebcire
I agree with you on this. However, I live in Iowa (-13 air temp as I write this, -24 last weekend) so there is some peace of mind in replacing before failure. Sure - I have AAA so a jump isn't an issue, however I replaced my original battery (2011) in November so I wouldn't need to worry about it. I can't fault anyone looking to proactively replace their battery as it reaches 5+ years old and they live in a cold climate. Plus - just as you don't know how a used engine was treated you don't know how many times the battery has been deep cycled.

OP - nothing special to replace the battery and it should take you less than 30 minutes. Here's a video from YouTube. One thing to note - I recommend disconnecting the negative first (Alex does positive) to reduce the chances of shorting.

-Eric

https://youtu.be/SmYgiMt4F1U
Kinda funny that every step in every FSM is "disconnect the negative battery terminal". How is someone still disconnecting the positive first?!??I'm in MN so I get the cold fears. Unless you drop a cell, your battery will continue to do its job well past the date. Mind you, this is NOT an expiration date, but rather a warranty end date. If it says it expires than its just a manufacturer financed on fear. Optima were great back in the day. Quality AGM when there was no such beast on the market... oh and cool colors too. Then hit the buy-out in the mid '00s, they moved production overseas. Their quality went to ****. I had four before and three after the move. My first bought in 99 is still running strong churning a 12k winch in the Jeep. I don't even bother unhooking it during months of sitting. The thing just works. The three post change died within a year and I was tired of warranty battles and jumped ship on them for ever. Me and a bunch of other people. Enter the Die Hard platinum.. picked up where Optima left off. Well they discontinued the line because Sears is in her death throws. Now the hotness is the Odessey AGM like. Best AGM on the market, hands down. In the G, since it's driven amaybe once a week in the winter, I have a 5a battery tender to keep it healthy.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:46 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
My 26 month old exide 24fx from home depot would not start the car today. Car has sat in the garage (not heated) since dec 24th. It has been really cold in the single digits and even negative digits since christmas day. Car fired right up after a jump.

After 90 minutes of highway driving the voltage was only 12.5V with the car off. We'll see where it's at after leaving it on the charger over night. Will replace it if voltage is still low.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:32 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
My 26 month old exide 24fx from home depot would not start the car today. Car has sat in the garage (not heated) since dec 24th. It has been really cold in the single digits and even negative digits since christmas day. Car fired right up after a jump.

After 90 minutes of highway driving the voltage was only 12.5V with the car off. We'll see where it's at after leaving it on the charger over night. Will replace it if voltage is still low.
Replace it if any individual cells do not accept a full charge.

Replacing the battery for my G-2ye57nq.jpg

Telcoman
Old 01-06-2018, 08:44 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo

12.5 is close to normal when the car is sitting.

You might want to do a parasitic draw test if only sitting for a few weeks killed the battery.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:50 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

^^This was a few minutes after driving over 60 miles on the highway nonstop. I would expect it to be higher. I think the temps were a major factor. Car has sat for more than 2 weeks during the summer with no issues. It's been below freezing since christmas and single digits (F) for at least the last week.

Battery is from home depot, so exchanging it shouldn't be too difficult. Will definitely keep the new on on the trickle charger when car is not in use.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:54 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Yeah, been experiencing the same temps here in PA. Finally supposed to get some reprieve tomorrow with a high near 30. I think its been since before Christmas since we've been above freezing.

Trickle charger is definitely a good idea.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:01 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

I have one of these from my motorcycle days -
Amazon Amazon
- still works well. I had the original battery on it since swapping in the new one back in 10/2015. Use it (the battery) around the garage when I need a 12V source. It's actually what I used to give myself a jump today.

Keeping a battery on a constant charger is not good for the battery, but the smart will cycle and float the battery as needed.

Btw, most of us know this, but for jumping, observe polarity, + to +, - to - . My friend at the auto shop loves the cold. Among various starting issues are blown components as a result of improper jump starting.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:14 PM
g-wagon
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
I would check the owners manual first.