Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Rim Lug lock pattern

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 11:37 PM
G_dirtyFrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rim Lug lock pattern

Hey guys I have a problem with my rims. I've lost the key to remove it. The only problem is that it's not a regular key you'd find at any automotive store. I bought my G 3 years ago and it came with the rims and 2 keys to remove them. If anyone has seen a key/lock similar to this one please contact me.
Attached Thumbnails Rim Lug lock pattern-20161211_095421.jpg  
Old 06-22-2017, 08:31 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site, that's going to be a tough one (as you're finding out). There's several companies that make those open end locks. Since Gorilla is the most common brand I'd start w/ them, you might contact them and ask if you could send a picture just to narrow it down. Did you buy the G at a dealer, if so they might be able to help source that lock.

Unfortunately there's not much room to pound a socket over that one and work it out, but thieves are pretty creative so there's probably a way to get it off if you have to resort to the nuclear option.
G/L
Old 06-23-2017, 12:09 AM
G_dirtyFrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay thanks man. Appreciate the reply
Old 06-26-2017, 08:36 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
I ran into that issue as well. I only had one key and I lost it. I had the locks installed at the dealer when I got the car and figured out it's from McGard so I called them. They said I would have to know the number on the key because there's more than one. They suggested going to the dealer as they have master keys and see if they have the right one, which they did. The dealer took them off and put on plain lugs, at my request. I called McGard and placed an order for two keys. You may be lucky if they are McGard as they do look like their open end style locks: McGard Cone Seat Wheel Locks
Old 07-04-2017, 01:30 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Most likely, the dealer will have an OEM master key. Sinve this looks aftermarket,, you have a few options here. Use a gator grip socket or take it to a mechanic to have it removed via the nuclear option. It destroys the locks.