Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Back in a G37!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 11:01 AM
CAD

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Back in a G37!

Ladies & Gents,

Just picked up a 2012 G37xS with 74k and figured I'd joint the forum.

A little background - when I was younger, in high school in Toronto, my mom had an 07 G35x sedan and then a 2010 G37x coupe. In 2011 I was in my senior year of high school and used to drive the G37x on the weekends/whenever she wasn't driving it and loved it.

My choice of university relocated me to Boston, and I brought my 09 STI down when I needed a car. In my senior year of school (2016), I picked up an 01 S2000 back home. Both cars are titled/stored back home in Toronto. I landed a full-time gig at a consulting firm just outside of Boston where I had done an internship, and have been working there since Jan 2016.

Unfortunately, my Canadian insurance refused to cover any of my vehicles after one year of work in the US, so earlier this year I picked up a 2015 Scion FRS. I lightly modded the car (coils, wheels, exhaust) thinking I'd appreciate it more, however I never liked the car as much as I had hoped. I quickly got bored and after going back and forth between keeping it & boosting it or selling it for an E46 M3/E39 M5/E55 AMG, I decided the responsible thing to do was to get a G37xS sedan.

I'm not sure how much longer I'll be working down here but I couldn't take commuting in the FRS anymore.

Plans for the G are swift springs, topspeed catback, wheels, and an OEM lip. Maybe a rear spoiler (OEM or one of the ebay CF ones). The car needs brakes, so they are on their way from rockauto, along with a cabin filter, air filter, spark plugs, oil/filter, and some wipers. Planning to clean the TB and paint the grille too, and eventually flush trans, diff, and brake fluid, as well as coolant.

Here are a few pics of the G and my other rides.

The FRS (still FS if anyone's looking... lol)

The STI ("Subae") that is currently sleeping in storage

The S2k

And my first car (also in storage but likely selling soon....)
Old 08-27-2017, 12:57 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Great intro! Nice taste in cars, looks like you'll do just fine around here!

Nice plans for your X too!
Old 08-28-2017, 12:05 PM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
I'm just impressed at the stable of pretty new and impressive vehicles you own as a recent college graduate. I need to learn from you!
Old 08-28-2017, 02:55 PM
deeliciousqueen

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Subae

Keep the Subae, they don't make the hatch anymore and I freakin love them! What are plans for s2k and Subae?
Old 08-28-2017, 04:19 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
is that legend manual.... ive always wanted that car but couldnt find that unicorn...
love the s2k... my next ride.. well.. either that or a jcw mini cooper...
Old 08-29-2017, 09:33 AM
CAD

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I've been driving the car since Saturday and it's been great. I've definitely missed the sound/power of the VQ. After getting so used to the FRS on ST coils, the G feels pretty floaty in stock form - hopefully I can toss a set of Swift springs on there soon.

Originally Posted by deeliciousqueen
Keep the Subae, they don't make the hatch anymore and I freakin love them! What are plans for s2k and Subae?
Thank you! Yeah I think out of all my cars, the STI is the one that's a keeper.

It has been in storage since January of this year at our shop. Once I move back to Toronto (hopefully spring/summer of 2018) permanently, I'm going to give the car a once over/tuneup and also install a set of Tein MonoSport coils w/EDFC and Cusco rear control arms to replace the Feals struts/RCE springs.

Right now the car put down 315whp/375wtq, I may swap to a FMIC and slightly larger turbo and shoot for the 350whp range.

The S2k has pretty much every bolt-on too haha. I want to start tracking the car so I need to pickup a rollbar. I would like to supercharge the car at some point, but I want to learn to drive it fast in N/A form on the track first. I also want to swap to an Amuse front bumper and get the car resprayed in Rio Yellow Pearl (the AP2 yellow color).

Originally Posted by micafd3s
is that legend manual.... ive always wanted that car but couldnt find that unicorn...
love the s2k... my next ride.. well.. either that or a jcw mini cooper...
Thanks man! S2k is a great choice but I'm not sure if I'd ever want to daily drive it. If you're looking to get into one I'd try to grab one in the next year, prices have started going up over the past 12-16 months. I got a crazy deal on mine in November 2015 though. JCW cooper's are awesome too.

I paid $500 for the Legend a few days after I got my license... it had a blown motor and was an auto. I picked up a few parts cars and had the car on the road with a new (used) motor and swapped to a 5spd manual a few months later. I was a broke high school/college kid so I just kept buying legends and parting them out for a profit lol.

A few years ago I pulled the aging 3.2L motor out to swap to a JDM 3.5RL motor that I had taken down to just the block/rotating assembly. I have a 6spd trans to go in too.

It's definitely a rare car and probably the most built-up one in Canada, but it's been in storage for 2 years now and I'm not sure if I have the motivation to get it back on the road and put more $$ into it to get it to where I'd be happy with it again. It does sound nice though :