Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Intro Post - Moonlight White G37x Coupe (2011)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 11:21 PM
JLouie
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Intro Post - Moonlight White G37x Coupe (2011)

Hello all,

I bought my G37x coupe back in November 2016. Around then I also joined these forums to get the scoop because I knew I'd want to modify my car. Since then I've picked up on a bunch of useful info but haven't been very involved in the threads. Now that I've got the ball rolling with some mods I thought I'd introduce myself and share what I've done so far. (Its not much lol)

I chose to go with a G37x because I live in Philly and as a daily driver I needed something reliable even through the winter. I wanted the G37xS but it was pretty hard to find. I found a good deal on a G37x with 36k miles though. And its super clean so I figured it would be a good start.

I started with the interior. I purchased the OEM rubber all season mats (black) on ebay through Circle Infiniti. I have the light stone interior so these mats were very necessary. All the dirt wipes right off with water. Next I bought some blue LED lights from advanced auto parts and swapped out my dome lights and door lights. It looks like a night club in my car now haha. I also picked up bright white LED lights for my license plate.

Next I moved to the exterior. The first thing I did was get the widows tinted (15%) all around except for the windshield. This definitely brought out the sportiness.

Next I swapped out the chrome lip spoiler because it really bothered me. I purchased the OEM sport wing on ebay from Circle Infiniti on ebay and installed it myself. Check out my post on that.

By this time the sportiness really started to come out and it inspired me to just go for the coilovers. After searching the forums and reading reviews I felt pretty confident going with the KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers. I actually dropped it off to get them installed today.To correct the alignment after the drop I also needed rear control arms and toe bolts. I could use upper control arms if I wanted the alignment to be PERFECT but without them there is only about 1.8 degrees of front camber. Its not visible to the eye but I could potentially see slightly accelerated tire ware. I'll also have them install spacers so that the OEM wheels are pushed out and flush with the body of the car.

I'll post some pics from the shop today and pics I've randomly taken. The pics in the shop were taken after lowering it but before the spacers were installed. So as you will see the wheels are a little pushed in. They needed to get it all lowered and aligned before determining what spacer size I'd need for what I want. By tomorrow when I pick it up it should be all dialed in.

Thats about it! These forums are VERY helpful and I hope to be more involved moving forward. So much potential for the G37 coupe !

Oh, and I definitely want to shave the infiniti G37x lettering on the back and just leave the logo.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:17 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the G! Beautiful drop!
Old 04-18-2017, 10:37 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Very nice! I'm like you about the chrome piece on the trunk. Probably will do the factory style spoiler too. Post pics after your spacers too please!
Old 04-18-2017, 09:10 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Great intro there^^^ be proud of that one, off to a great start! Glad you found us.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:57 PM
JLouie
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it! I got my car back the other day. The shop I went to is RT Tuning in Montgomeryville, Pa. They are one of the best and most popular performance shops in the Philadelphia area and an authorized retailer of lots of part manufacturers.

Unfortunately I didn't get the spacers installed because they didn't have the size I needed in stock. So they ordered them and I have another appointment tomorrow. They did complete my alignment though and I'll post my alignment sheet below.

Without upper control arms things don't look too bad. At first glance I'd say the one thing that jumps out at me is that the front toe should come down a bit if possible. Although technically it's in spec I feel like it would be more ideal to be in a sweeter spot in that range. I'm open to all feedback if anything jumps out at you guys.

I'll be back in there tomo for the spacers so that will be my chance to make sure I get everything just right. Especially given the fact that my coilovers have probably settled somewhat since getting them installed on monday.

More pics to come.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:04 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

That's a solid spec sheet, should expect very good tire wear and handling. How low did you drop overall, looks to be about 1.75 to 2", nice work!
Old 04-23-2017, 01:08 PM
JLouie
Registered Member

After Coilover and Spacer Installation

Originally Posted by r2dmax
Very nice! I'm like you about the chrome piece on the trunk. Probably will do the factory style spoiler too. Post pics after your spacers too please!

Old 04-23-2017, 01:19 PM
JLouie
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
That's a solid spec sheet, should expect very good tire wear and handling. How low did you drop overall, looks to be about 1.75 to 2", nice work!
It's somewhere in that 1.75-2 inch range but not sure of the exact number. In the first pics that I posted (inside the shop) it was actually more than 2 inches of drop which was as flush as possible without tucking. But without upper control arms that was too low to get the front camber back in reasonable range. It was like -2.5 degrees on each side. So I had them raise it back up about a half inch which gives me about one finger of gap and the alignment specs that I posted earlier. And to get the wheels flush with the body of the car i'm running 25mm H&R spacers all around which they also confirmed will provide enough clearance for the Akebono BBK.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:22 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
It looks great! Very nice job!
The following users liked this post:
JLouie (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 11:58 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

From your fresh pics it looks like a 1.75" drop or about 26.5" to 26.75" from the ground to the fender arcs. That shop sounds like a great place to have your suspension work done, glad you found it!

Are you getting bolt-on spacers or ones requiring extended studs? If you get the bolt-ons be sure to recheck torque (80 to 85 ft lbs.) after 50 miles and every oil change. If you don't have a torque wrench I'd surely get one, a 1/2" drive from Harbor Freight will suffice and w/ coupon can be had for about $15.
The following users liked this post:
JLouie (04-24-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 10:50 AM
JLouie
Registered Member

Thanks guys I appreciate it! blnewt I got bolt on spacers. Thats some great advice too. I've been wanting to get my hands on a torque wrench. What better time than now