Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

New G37 Sedan Owner

Old 07-31-2015, 10:35 PM
WolfSongX

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
New G37 Sedan Owner

Just thought I'd say "Hi". I've been lurking here for a bit but finally pulled the trigger on my G37 last weekend.

It's a 2011 Journey Sport Package with 38K miles when I bought it. Moonlight White with Stone leather interior.

It's the first automatic I've intentionally bought for myself, but I'm getting old and I have a manual Cayman S when I want to remember what real driving feels like. I was looking for something comfortable, that still had some moves, and didn't cost a small fortune to keep running.... and the G was all of those things and more. I originally was after a coupe with a stick, but the head won over the heart.

This is a cool board with a lot of great info... glad to be here

Derek
Old 08-01-2015, 12:17 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Derek,
Welcome to the site, nice sedan, like the factory wheels in that gunmetal shade. Post a pic of your Caymen, nice extra ride for sure
Old 08-01-2015, 08:30 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Congrats!
Love the wheels in gunmetal and the rear lights have been tinted as well.

Count me in for Caymen pics too!
Old 08-01-2015, 10:05 AM
WolfSongX

Thanks guys, I really loved the wheels, tails and the black chrome grilll... all things I would've done myself with plasti-dip if they hadn't been already on the car when I bought it.

I'm currently looking for a OEM wing with camera hole to complete the look, if you guys have any suggestions on good vendors or know anyone with a QAA spoiler looking to get rid of it.

As requested, some pics of my 2006 Cayman S. Some of the mods include Cayman R stripes, Kenwood navigation, Borla exhaust, APR ECU flash, and clear corners. Factory options are manual sport seats, Carrera 19" wheels, and xenon lights. It weighs in at slightly over 2800lbs and puts down 325 hp and 290 ft/lbs to the wheels.

One of the main reasons to buy the G was to keep the miles off the Cayman, since I've put almost 25K miles on it in the year and a half I owned it. I had a 1999 BMW 323iS that was supposed to be my daily but I still drove the Porsche more than it. My daughter needed a car so it was a good excuse to buy something I wouldn't mind driving all the time.

The G is comfortable as a cruiser, but the VQ37HR, sports brakes and suspension make it very capable when I need it to be... and the Porsche has been parked since I bought it.

I used to own a tuning shop, so I probably will mod the G a little, but currently I'm happy with the car as it is, aside from the paddle shift response and doing the wing. I already fabricated a ground kit, but it looks like I may be getting in touch with Visconti for an ECUtek and an OTS tune.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:13 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Great looking Cayman, love those cars, that new GT4 looks like a world beater. Nice to have a very knowledgeable enthusiast as a noobie here, lol.
Look forward to your future G updates.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:46 PM
WolfSongX

I'd love to get a GT4, but the way they're selling and if the GT3 is any indicator, they will probably never be priced where an ordinary enthusiast could afford one.

I've been lucky to find the one I have reasonably priced and well-cared for by a Porsche Club member and I'm able to work on it myself. Affording the parts is another matter, but having the Bimmer and now the G to drive means that if I have to save up for a repair, then I can.

That's probably what drew me to the G... When I first started looking for a replacement for my BMW, I was looking at the previous generation E90 BMW 335i. I looked at the maintenance costs plus the laundry list of problems they're known for, and it was almost as expensive as the Porsche. That made me rethink German, and go back to my Japanese car roots. Of the TL Type SH, Lexus I series and the G series, the G was the obvious choice, and the parts are a third of the cost.

I actually was looking seriously at a coupe a few years back, but instead bought a BRZ on impulse. I wound up trading the BRZ on the Cayman because I couldn't stand how unrefined it was. Now I've come full circle, and I finally have a G.

Thanks for the warm welcome, hopefully I'll put my experience to good use on here.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:08 PM
WolfSongX

Just drove the Porsche to work for the first time since I bought my G almost two weeks ago. I'm sad to say that it took a bit of adjusting to get used to driving it again... which I guess is a good thing... with my old BMW... I would drive the Porsche 2-3 times a week because I didn't really enjoy the BMW and the Porsche was way more comfortable... now the shoe is on the other foot.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:29 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

The Cayman S is definitely on my short list for a retirement gift to myself when the time comes. You're not making it an easier to have to wait, lol.
From all I've been reading the GT4s are already sold out, so yeah, looks like it would take some good fortune to land one, doubt the depreciation would even be a blip. But nice to dream
Old 08-08-2015, 01:06 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Very nice porsche you have there Wolf.

The G is not to shabby either
Old 08-12-2015, 08:40 PM
Zbo31

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet G for sure
Old 08-12-2015, 09:19 PM
drewfinity

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome, Nice Rides!
Old 08-12-2015, 10:38 PM
tom_lom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New G37 Sedan Owner

Very nice G. I just got one as well same color combo. Love the car so much, but is it me or does the sedan have a much quieter exhaust than the coupe and the g35? First thing I must change.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:33 AM
WolfSongX

Originally Posted by tom_lom
Very nice G. I just got one as well same color combo. Love the car so much, but is it me or does the sedan have a much quieter exhaust than the coupe and the g35? First thing I must change.
Congrats on the new car...

I actually like that it's quieter (realatively, it still makes nice noises at WOT), and a few years ago I'd probably have agreed with you... but I'm turning 50 in a few years, so I'm really starting to appreciate the luxury and comfort the G offers, while still having the power and handling when I want it. These days I'd probably spend the money I would've spent on exhaust mods upgrading the audio system instead...

The Porsche has a Borla on it, and I absolutely love the noises it makes, but when you're commuting or on long trips it becomes a little tiresome especially when trying to hold a conversation or enjoy music. (The Porsche is geared for the Autobahn, so 75mph on the highway is above 3K in 6th gear). Taking it to the track or to someplace like the Tail of the Dragon, it's perfect and there is no better sound than rev-matched downshifts then going full song with a flat 6 out of a corner.

But I live in Myrtle Beach, where the roads are flat, straight and full of Tourons (Tourist + Moron). Unfortunately, I have to travel about 3 hours to get to any seriously inspiring roads with good corners and elevation changes, so in my daily routine drives, just kicking back and enjoying my music in traffic is the best I usually get. It's a perfect place to live if you live a quarter mile at a time, but I like my roads like my women... nice and curvy.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:01 PM
Dreamerzcc

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good looking G. My co-workers looks like that except the car in black
Old 09-02-2015, 07:33 PM
tom_lom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New G37 Sedan Owner

Originally Posted by WolfSongX
Congrats on the new car...

I actually like that it's quieter (realatively, it still makes nice noises at WOT), and a few years ago I'd probably have agreed with you... but I'm turning 50 in a few years, so I'm really starting to appreciate the luxury and comfort the G offers, while still having the power and handling when I want it. These days I'd probably spend the money I would've spent on exhaust mods upgrading the audio system instead...

The Porsche has a Borla on it, and I absolutely love the noises it makes, but when you're commuting or on long trips it becomes a little tiresome especially when trying to hold a conversation or enjoy music. (The Porsche is geared for the Autobahn, so 75mph on the highway is above 3K in 6th gear). Taking it to the track or to someplace like the Tail of the Dragon, it's perfect and there is no better sound than rev-matched downshifts then going full song with a flat 6 out of a corner.

But I live in Myrtle Beach, where the roads are flat, straight and full of Tourons (Tourist + Moron). Unfortunately, I have to travel about 3 hours to get to any seriously inspiring roads with good corners and elevation changes, so in my daily routine drives, just kicking back and enjoying my music in traffic is the best I usually get. It's a perfect place to live if you live a quarter mile at a time, but I like my roads like my women... nice and curvy.
Yeah I love how it's so luxurious and comfortable considering how well it handles and how quick it is. I'm only 19 and I don't want any serious drone but I defy need more of that nice growl out of the vq. Can't go ok crazy tho, I last had a Gramd Cherokee overland with a v8 and a flow master. It sounded great but the drone was unbearable so I can't go too crazy with my exhaust set up.

Also I feel the bass is lacking with the Bose stereo. Will probably look for a trunk sub one day as well.

Also be happy you don't live in New York City. Where the roads are crap, the drivers are crap, and it ultimately turns your car into crap (without a meticulous owner that babies his car). In this city if your lucky to find a nice spot of road to drive on you'll probably be risking your life with traffic and it'll only last about 5 seconds till you find a nice pot hole or something of the sorts.