Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

2012 G37S Journey Sport Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 06:02 AM
Dbray2316
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 G37S Journey Sport Sedan

This is the type of g37s I own, so if anybody knows about this one or has one I have some questions....troubleshooting a couple issues and modification tips needed for price value and quality and necessity...if anybody could help as im a month and a half of having the car im still figuring it out. Its my first infiniti. I love it. About to do a brake job soon. Best pads to use and anything to look out for with the car if anybody has had any bugs with it in there time owning one? Please feel free to comment. I'd love some general feedback. Also best way to make it run a bit faster than it does stock...best mods to increase hp....cold air intake worth it or not? Muffler job doing away with duals and resonator and maybe going 2.5 inch to single 3inch straight piped? Thoughts? These are a couple things im considering. Looking for feed back. Also I have never tuned a vehicle. Ever. Where to take it what to look for etc....wheels amd tires? Best wheels and tires to run on it......Best options to increase hp by 75 to 100hp?? ....thoughts? Anything would be appreciated guys. New to the group...love this ride. Anyone out there holler please. Can give more details of my ride and some pics if needed. ....thanks in advance. Happy new years to all! 2023!!
Old 01-01-2023, 08:16 PM
PDG
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I have the exact same car. They are great cars. Take care of the typical maintenance and it should run a long time.

The main expensive failure to watch out for is the rear timing gallery gasket failure. It is thought that Nissan changed to a better gasket sometime with the 2012 models. Here is one of many threads on the topic: https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...nevitable.html

A 100hp bump is going to require FI and deep pockets ($10k+). These threads will get you started on your mod research:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/newbie-...read-this.html
https://www.myg37.com/forums/newbie-...rformance.html

Z1 offers what they claim to be a 400hp (crank) package here (note, it is designed for the coupe, but you could build the same thing for the sedan. Probably $5-6k once it is all said and done with a tune) : https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...ge-p-7223.html

Best wheels and tires are subjective. These threads will get you started:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...post-here.html
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...fat-tires.html

A ton of fantastic info on this site if you are willing to put in the time, search, and read.
The following 3 users liked this post by PDG:
BULL (01-02-2023), Dbray2316 (07-21-2023), Rochester (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 12:46 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
My suggestion is to replace all fluids in the G with better lubricants, antifreeze and brake fluid. Take your time learning about the car before even thinking about tuning. Consider upgrading your own driving skills before anything else. Attend an SCCA solo event or track day to get some instruction. Watch, listen and learn over the next year before spending your hard-earned money. The experience will teach you if you allow it.
The following 3 users liked this post by dkmura:
Dbray2316 (07-21-2023), Rochester (01-02-2023), rotarymike (01-03-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 03:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by dkmura
Take your time learning about the car before even thinking about tuning.
This is great advice.

Actually, you can apply that to all of your questions. Take your time, don't make impulsive decisions, and don't expect to get spoonfed answers to everything. Particularly if your questions are all smushed together into one huge run-on comment.... separated only by.... lots and lots.... of ellipses. Super hard to read and respond to.

The Journey Sport Sedan (G37S 7AT) is a great car, whether you explicitly sought it out or fell into it backwards, either way good for you. There's a wealth of information here on the forum, well over a decade's worth. Ideas and answers are all here for the finding.

Welcome to the forum, OP.

/renamed and moved
The following users liked this post:
Dbray2316 (07-21-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 03:09 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Originally Posted by PDG
I have the exact same car. They are great cars. Take care of the typical maintenance and it should run a long time.

The main expensive failure to watch out for is the rear timing gallery gasket failure. It is thought that Nissan changed to a better gasket sometime with the 2012 models. Here is one of many threads on the topic: https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...nevitable.html

A 100hp bump is going to require FI and deep pockets ($10k+). These threads will get you started on your mod research:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/newbie-...read-this.html
https://www.myg37.com/forums/newbie-...rformance.html

Z1 offers what they claim to be a 400hp (crank) package here (note, it is designed for the coupe, but you could build the same thing for the sedan. Probably $5-6k once it is all said and done with a tune) : https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...ge-p-7223.html

Best wheels and tires are subjective. These threads will get you started:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...post-here.html
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...fat-tires.html

A ton of fantastic info on this site if you are willing to put in the time, search, and read.

Great Job on this post, helpful, legitimate and with added links.
+2 on making it look organized and pretty!
The following 2 users liked this post by BULL:
Dbray2316 (07-21-2023), PDG (01-03-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 02:24 AM
Dbray2316
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! 6 months later, update so far the journey 7AT..

Thank u everybody so far. Lots of great info to check out. This site is awesome. I never would've expected to find so many ppl thrilled about one car but I know why. I didn't know what I was buying when I got my 2012 journey sedan g37s sedan, I thought it was just a gas saving grandma car to be honest....had 101k miles on it and was in damn good shape. Then about two weeks later I saw a YouTube suggestion video showing a guy with a 900hp g37 and I tripped out! And clicked it, then was like Whoa! That's my car! Just tricked out!!! Then it hit me....I recognized it...it didn't stand out to me in its stock format but after seeing that I was hooked. Soon after I figured out that traction control of and manual mode equals figure 8s in parking lots for days if u want! Such a blast first time I did it....and between us I may or may not have tested the top speed. If I told you it will do 164mph stock would anyone else believe me? Jw....or the 0-60 time between 3.9 and 4.1 second? I almost sh** myself when I found out it was a Rear wheel drive with 328 hp....the thing is a beast. I love it. 93 octane gas gets expensive but it is worth it.....100 bucks for an oil change sucks too. I've changed filters, cleaned both throttle body's and MAS so far, installed 6 new iridium OEM spark plugs (significantly noticeable power increase too btw) new battery, brand new set of BF Goodrich comp pro 2 A/S tires, ...everything I've done I've matched purposefully to OEM parts to keep it as original as possible....other than replacing every bulb in the car with LED white bulbs, I haven't done much else.....new rotors and ceramic pads for those big old brembos coming soon....rn I'm fighting a subwoofer and amp install in the heat for 3 days straight now with still no success.....amp keeps kicking on Then going to protect....idk. followed threads of here and read everything everyone has had to say and tapped the wires before, after the amp and before the sub now so 3 attempts in 3 days....ready to call it quits but hoping for better luck tomorrow. Maybe I should ditch the LOC I keep jacking with....that's the only thing I haven't tried. That or trying to tap behind the radio. Been working in the trunk.....hot as he'll outside too....I need a part that keeps my shifter handle on also. It slides straight off if u pull up in it cause I broke it when trying to figure out how to remove it.....no biggie tho for now.....biggest problem so far.....

when doing the tune up, I noticed a small amount of oil inside the hole for spark plug cylinder number 1....then after I changed plugs about 250 miles later brand new plug fouled out and so did coil pack in cylinder one....I knew what it was since I'd noticed the oil, the obd code said cylinder one. So immediately replaced both parts....still running 10k miles later.....not sure how long it'll hold up until I have to get that gasket replaced on the valve covers but hopefully it'll ride for a bit. Money is tight right now thru this inflation we're going thru....

st Patrick's day resulted in a slight fender bender also....needing new driver headlight and bracket, front bumper and front left quarter panel....no frame damage or radiator. Just the things I listed.

what I'd really like to find is a place that had parts cars for sale. I'd love to find a graveyard of journey sedans 2012 and any year compatible. Lol

biggest complaint****
white interior....I think that speaks for itself. No explanation necessary....how do ppl change all that out? Piece by piece? I'm assuming. I fi d lots of white interior parts used for sale on line. Wayyyy more than black interior parts. ..imaging that ppl are reselling the parts they e swapped for the darker color....anyhow, in due time. As of today, 115k miles and still running strong. Great car. Only owe 5k more on it then it's mine forever...at the end of it all it'll have costed me right around 12k....not to bad for 34 year old with bad credit and needing a good car at the time and needing it quick with only 3k down to work with....like I said it snuck up on me and I fell into it not knowing how much I'd fall in love!!!

ps, gonna replace that factory screen one day with identical 7 inch screen that does android auto and Apple car play. Isn't there a way to watch DivX encoded content off a flash drive also? Jw....that's kinda inconvenient now a days but better than none. Wish it support3d casting from ur phone. Bluetooth is choppy af sometimes too when u first crank if u don't give it a chance to connect properly before taking off.......

thanks so much for welcoming me around here with some sound advice. Love this place. Good to see some positivity and comraderie online these days....CHEERS!

Old 07-21-2023, 12:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Awesome to read how excited you are. I'm happy for you.

However, the G is a 5 second car on a good day. There's no way you're breaking under five seconds unless you're driving over a cliff.

And the recommended octane is 91 not 93. If you've access to 91 but are pumping 93, you're flushing your money down the toilet.

And there was no white leather interior, it's probably Stone, which is a light beige.

Here, this is always a helpful list of specs: https://www.infinitihelp.com/models/...ifications.php

Last edited by Rochester; 07-21-2023 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-21-2023, 01:37 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
If you want straightline performance, you need displacement, either in the engine itself or the attached blower. IE - trade for a Hellcat.

The advantage to the Skyline platform - this one or past ones - is that with the involvement with touring car racing they were designed to be pretty balanced - reasonable power and reasonable chassis dynamics. While the V36 is certainly a departure from past Rseries cars, in terms of shared architecture with the Z cars and with having a V engine instead of an RB designed engine, even at the luxury sports car level there aren't many that have actual double wishbone suspensions, massive brakes by default, RWD, etc.

What I'm saying is, don't try to turn the G into something it isn't. Better to find THAT car and save up for it. Realize what it is, enhance that if you want to, and enjoy the fact that when said Hellcat goes to take a turn you will fly right on by. The Coupe versions are actually competent drifters with some enhancement - due to the suspension and the bump steer angle. IMHO and from what I've learned on the forum, the sedan makes a solid track car (road course, not drag) due to the additional stiffness provided by the B pillars.

Check out what MotorvateDIY is doing with the stock infotainment screen (think GT-R gauges and other enhancements). There's some really in-depth audio discussions on this board talking about both stock systems and aftermarket setups. (I can't help, because with age and hearing loss all I want is a volume **** and bluetooth, with Carplay being a future goal).

You'll find that if you mod the exhaust much, audio becomes less important than the sweet VQ sound. But keep in mind the stock exhaust flows pretty well and the intakes aren't really the restriction you'd think. These aren't a Honda with a 7/8" tailpipe. I think, pre-tuning, I gained 20ish HP from high flow cats, a good tuned length exhaust (FI in my case), and long tube CAIs. Another 15ish HP after the tune. That's almost $3000 for 30-35 HP.

I'll give an example - when the Honda S2000 came out the vtec engine was lauded so much because it achieved 124HP per liter of displacement, the highest HP per displacement engine in the world at the time. A more common high-output power rating is 100HP/liter. Our motors make 90HP per liter from the dealer floor, and can be prodded to a little over 100/L with a few mods - tuning being important to realize any real gains. So... this engine already has the tweaks and special features to get it this far. Coatings in the engine, knife edged crank, variable cam timing on both intake and exhaust, you name it - it's hard to realize many increases without forced induction and FI involves a bunch of compromises too.

There's a reason the GT-R motor costs so much even used - those are assembled mostly by hand with even greater precision than ours, despite being essentially the same insides. That's the level of prep and engineering needed to get to the next plateau of performance.

Good luck with YOUR car, and enjoy it for what it is so that when you DO make changes, they achieve the goals you want (and are realistic).

IMHO, the best speed-adder you can invest in is HPDE driver education.
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 10:43 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 232 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
If you want straightline performance, you need displacement, either in the engine itself or the attached blower. IE - trade for a Hellcat.

The advantage to the Skyline platform - this one or past ones - is that with the involvement with touring car racing they were designed to be pretty balanced - reasonable power and reasonable chassis dynamics. While the V36 is certainly a departure from past Rseries cars, in terms of shared architecture with the Z cars and with having a V engine instead of an RB designed engine, even at the luxury sports car level there aren't many that have actual double wishbone suspensions, massive brakes by default, RWD, etc.

What I'm saying is, don't try to turn the G into something it isn't. Better to find THAT car and save up for it. Realize what it is, enhance that if you want to, and enjoy the fact that when said Hellcat goes to take a turn you will fly right on by. The Coupe versions are actually competent drifters with some enhancement - due to the suspension and the bump steer angle. IMHO and from what I've learned on the forum, the sedan makes a solid track car (road course, not drag) due to the additional stiffness provided by the B pillars.
Well said @rotarymike. The G and later Q are both excellent, very value oriented and reliable grand tourers that are surprisingly fast. I drove a 2004 G35 from San Diego to Dallas (with wife and two little ones in tow), then back a few years later. Even on that older platform outfitted with a 350Z Midpipe and springs, it was a great experience and my gas mileage was close to 30mpg - in a car that can do 0-60 in 5.5 secs. The G37 made alot of structural and powertrain improvements over that model and was a no brainer when I was looking for a replacement; analysts seemed to agree and felt that Infiniti/Nissan was powering forward with a competent answer to a market the Germans have dominated for decades. Fast forward to the Q, I think that aside from destructive branding (maybe Nissan wasn't aware of the strong G branding at the time), the car was the most misunderstood of all models and shipped with a very early version of electronically controlled steering that wasn't quite ready to meet expectations; suddenly, the more pricey underdog was now under attack from analysts because expectations were high. If you look at the Q from the perspective of a very competent grand tourer with class leading acceleration, it looks great. However, most of the eventual demographic saw the VR30 as a low cost platform that could be boosted to compete with anything available in production. I don't think Nissan planned for this use case, so we in turn we see alot of failures reported. Now, as the iPad with wheels generation quickly approaches, I don't see much hope for Nissan to reverse this image, especially as they struggle to stay financially solvent. Their only hope is to reinvent the Skyline in the form of something the mainstream wants to buy, an EV crossover.
Old 07-27-2023, 11:02 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
I mean, the Skyline badge was put on a crossover in 2009 (the EX37): https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ssover_001.JPG

So a plugin EV isn't too much of a stretch.

No one wants cars anymore - they want crossovers or SUVs, and this isn't just an American phenomenon. While I get the draw of a crossover (minivan without the stigma) and very useful, I'm about to trade my new company car ('23 Ford Escape) back for my old one ('17 Fusion) because the driving dynamics SUCK.

I've mentioned the Mustang EV before too... it's a sharp looking vehicle. BUT it ain't a mustang. Call it the Brumby or the Sorraia (also feral horse breeds like the Mustang). Actually, I'd buy one today if Ford would re-name it the Przewalski LOL - they're the last true wild horses.

But more to the point - electrification is coming, I don't see any reason to be afeared of it. Not when the supercar folks are all-in with hybrids for that juicy instant torque.