MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Corner (https://www.myg37.com/forums/newbie-corner-337/)
-   -   Considering purchasing a 2008 g37s (https://www.myg37.com/forums/newbie-corner/257607-considering-purchasing-a-2008-g37s.html)

RetiredtoWork 04-23-2014 09:51 AM

Considering purchasing a 2008 g37s

Is there anything I should out for I've checked the carfax and Vehicles title history from the State of Florida where it was purchased, the owners selling for 15,995 because it is a rebuilt title it was stolen in 2011 and the insurance company totaled it out according to the paperwork I've obtained the car has 55,285 miles and it drives really well. there are no misaligned body panels and the interior is clean minus some scratches in the leather dash which can be easily be fixed and the owner will cover the difference in the cost of the car if I have it appraised before hand the owner also offered me his version of a warranty that if anything happens to the vehicle within 4 months of purchase he will reimburse any cost in full.

Just want to know what I should look out for before hand or if there are any major issues or recalls on the 2008 S model I should look out for the car is almost a 2 hour drive away from my home he let me test drive it for
almost an hour just to make sure there aren't any problems and all the research I've done on google about dependability ratings have brought up nothing but good reviews .DOMO
Thanks all help is greatly appreciated

macintos 04-23-2014 10:18 AM

As someone who is currently driving around in a rebuilt 08 G37 let me say hello and welcome.

Check with your state, but a car will be totalled/written off by an insurance agency after a period of time. If the car is found after that time period, it is given a salvage/rebuilt title no matter what, even if the thief took good care of it.

As for recalls- I have done none. Researched a little and not much came up. Google it. I found that the seat sensor on the passenger side which tells the car to turn on the airbag or not is faulty and could result in the airbag not firing for your passengers safety. That was it. Good luck! Also, could probably get him down cheaper. My rebuilt was flood damage. 33k miles and I picked it up for $13,400

RetiredtoWork 04-23-2014 10:25 AM

its rebuilt because they stole the in dash display, headlights, and airbags and cut the ECU out which was all professionally replaced and he showed me all of the receipts, The price is negotiable but he is persistent on not wanting to go any lower.
and thanks!

Jukeboxhero 05-02-2014 10:03 PM

Hi Retired,

I have a 2008 G37S 5AT. I am the second owner, and love my car. If everything is copacetic with the G you are looking at, I'd say go for it. I have had no issues with mine. In stock form, the handling is well-weighted (in fact, I did read a small blurb saying that the handling on our G37's feels better than the new Q50's).

This is rather subjective, but some G owners complain that the stock airboxes are 'raspy', and that the exhaust note is a little bland. However, there are a healthy variety of aftermarket parts available to address these minor foibles.

Not sure what kind of ride you are used to, but I think the power is more than adequate to support a spirited motoring experience. You shouldn't have any issues accelerating to freeway speeds or overtaking in the fast lane.

Whatever your choice may be, good luck with your purchase.

PS: These cars look pretty sharp lowered and spaced (and IMHO with an added IPL lip/ fogs). Be warned, you might get bitten by the modding bug ;)

dc2r 05-02-2014 10:26 PM

as long as the car fax reports comes back clean then why not.
i mean clean as no damage to the actual vehicle.

as you mentioned air bags are becoming very expensive now a days. my friends car had all his air bags stolen in a mercedes and they ended up writing off the car as the amount of cost to replace the air bags were equivalent to replacing the vehicle.