Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

CAI / Exhaust / Tune ?? '09 G37 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Potato Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI / Exhaust / Tune ?? '09 G37 Coupe

Just got my '09 G37X coupe (X because it snows up here). I have always done the CAI / Exhaust / Tune on my last four cars. They were of the Big Three here at home . I gotta say the my new G37 is amazing; but of course I,m looking at the usual mods to make it breathe.
First; Warranty - What voids it CAI ? (I dont think so). Exhaust ?( I think maybe). Tune ?( I think yes) .
Second; What I want (like everyone else) is the best combination of performance gains without voiding the warranty. No Turbos yet. I know this has been asked many times , but I don't see it here at any one post.
So...Any tips from the experienced would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:30 PM
kcobbusa

There is a forum for this, probably why you have not gotten any responses
Old 04-25-2011, 03:59 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 45 Likes on 6 Posts
The number 1 tip I'd give you is to find a local dealership that will handle your car if there is ever a problem and feel them out for their stance on mods. Dealerships are not all the same. Some sell and install Stillen products, some try to claim your warranty is void the second they see and intake.

In my experience, and I think the law states this, an aftermarket product does not void a vehicles warranty unless it is proven to responsible for the damage to the vehicle ie. If you install a Stillen CAI, and 1 month later your fuel pump goes out. Your warranty covers the fuel pump unless the Stillen CAI is proven to be responsible for the damage.

If you follow my advice and find a dealership that are not a$$'s then you'll save some headaches.

As for your other questions - CAI = see above Exhaust = same as CAI
Tune= Warranty goes bye-bye unless you can reflash back to stock ecu map before the dealership gets their hands on the car. The old Cobb Accessport offered this.
I had headers, HFC's, cat-back exhaust, intake, crank pulley, tune, suspension etc.. on my 08 coupe and my local dealer serviced my car with no questions asked, and fixed items under warranty with no hassles, so it depends on the people you work with.

As for best performance combination... This is a very personal taste area. Here are the general rules of thumb:
CAI - don't do much on our cars, they offer great sound, but little real HP. Stillen Gen 3's are the one exception offering multiple dyno's showing 10-14 HP gain. Takeda's new intake is just hitting stores, but promises similar results to Stillens (it's very similar design)
Exhaust - This is purely personal. Tons of different sounds available, most systems will give you decent HP/TQ gains. You really can't go wrong, and the tone/sound is the deciding point.
High Flow Cats- offer instant HP gains, tested and proved. These are a must if you want the most HP from your exhaust. Berk and Fast Intentions are most popular brands.
Tune - Their are no good plug and play tuners that show they are a good purchase for real HP gains. Your best bet would be to find a local certified uprev tuner and discuss the options you have to get a true custom tune to your ride. It might be hard because you'll need an awd dyno.

Hope this info helps!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:11 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
plain and simple they can not turn you down unless its proven the aftermarket product made what you bringing the warrenty work in for fail..
Old 04-27-2011, 04:50 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by kcobbusa
There is a forum for this, probably why you have not gotten any responses

amen
Old 04-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Potato Man

gottcha...reposted...thanks