Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Question: Window tint laws when traveling

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:58 PM
WildcatG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question: Window tint laws when traveling

Not sure of the right location for this question, but it's noobish so I figured I'd post here.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew how tint laws are enforced when traveling between states. I was just thinking about this with the holidays and holiday travel coming up.

So say, your tint is legal for the state you live in and your car is registered in. Then you drive through/to a state with stricter tint laws....what happens then? Can you get a ticket in the state you're visiting?

I guess the question would be, do tint laws apply to cars registered within a state, or all cars physically located within the state regardless of where they're registered.

From some google searches (didn't find any sources that seemed 100% credible though) it seems like the answer is that you need to comply with the laws of the state you're driving through. Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm not too worried, more just curious. I live in GA where 35% is legal and I might be driving to Ohio, where it looks like you need 50% on the front windows. Can't imagine being harassed by police for the 15% difference

Thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 11:26 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
you cannot get a tint ticket in a state in which your car is not registered.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:01 AM
sbmwg37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by speedracer g37
you cannot get a tint ticket in a state in which your car is not registered.
Wow, I didn't know that.
I should not have rolled down windows everytime I saw cops when I went to Las Vegas. lol
Old 09-26-2009, 03:17 AM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in California with Arizona registration... yet, I still got a fix-it ticket for tint before.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:42 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

california dmv has no way to enforce a fix it ticket for a car registered in another state. since the penalty for not complying is usually withholding of registration renewal, there is no consequence for not doing a repair. was there a fine involved?
Old 09-26-2009, 03:45 AM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Well... I did get it so... I don't know?
Old 09-26-2009, 03:48 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

i believe you got one, but i also believe that the municpal automotive regulations do not apply to transient motorists/motor vehicles. did you repair it and get a sign off from a state trooper?
Old 09-26-2009, 03:54 AM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Removed the tint and got signed off by a CHP officer at a local CHP office. I believe I paid a small fine, too.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:08 AM
js3350z

Here in NJ I have never gotten a "fix-it" ticket, just unapproved equipment tickets... and I don't believe any cop would pull you over just for having 35% (I am assuming thats what you have based on your example)
Old 09-26-2009, 08:54 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The U.S. Department of Transportation requires a basic 70% visible light transmission on windshields and both front windows. This requirement is identified as FMVSS 205 on window tinting law charts. However, the U.S. government has allowed each state to define their own window tint regulations which often allow darker shading. Even some city governments and police departments also enforce their own local standards.

The plain and simple fact is, no matter where you are registered, if you are in that state you must abide by their laws. No one gets to pick and choose which laws they want to follow. The majority of the time cops will not give you a hassle if you are out of state, especially if you are just traveling. But they can ticket you if your tint is darker than their state allows, if they really feel like it. Plus if you move, you are required to change your registration to that state within 30 days (unless you are military). Thankfully the tickets are pretty cheap (50 dollars per violation in VA). Usually just pay them and move on.

My car is registered in Arizona and have been pulled twice in VA for not having a front plate and dark tint. Thankfully both times the cop was nice and let me go. If they wanted to, I could have been ticketed both times.

Another example:
Some states require the use of seat belts and some do not (like New Hampshire). Just because your car is registered in New Hampshire, if you drive through DC without a seat belt, you can expect a ticket.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:23 AM
WildcatG

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Another example:
Some states require the use of seat belts and some do not (like New Hampshire). Just because your car is registered in New Hampshire, if you drive through DC without a seat belt, you can expect a ticket.

I was just wondering if window tints may be different....seat belts, motorcycle helmet, and radar detector laws vary state to state, but those are easy to remove or put on as needed as you cross state lines. I thought there might be an exception for physical parts of the car.

I guess not though, thanks for the responses.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:27 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Sadly there is not an exception. But most cops will not give you a hard time on it. Plus you usually have to be doing something else, like speeding or driving crazy to get pulled over. I was in the military for 8 years and lived in 6 different states. My G35 actually had 5% tint all the way around and my G37 has 15%. I have been pulled over a total of 4 times in 8 years for tint, with obviously dark tint. Every time the cop has let me go.

Another trick I always found is to open your sun roof cover. When you let light in, it makes your tint look a bit lighter.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Namir
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sadly there is not an exception. But most cops will not give you a hard time on it. Plus you usually have to be doing something else, like speeding or driving crazy to get pulled over. I was in the military for 8 years and lived in 6 different states. My G35 actually had 5% tint all the way around and my G37 has 15%. I have been pulled over a total of 4 times in 8 years for tint, with obviously dark tint. Every time the cop has let me go.

Another trick I always found is to open your sun roof cover. When you let light in, it makes your tint look a bit lighter.
^ You probably got off every time because you served in the military. I have a friend who is a volunteer firefighter and he said he's been pulled over "dozens" of times and never gotten a ticket. Another friend up in NY has a father in the NYPD and he said he's gotten pulled over about 6 or 7 times without ever getting a ticket.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:00 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

It might have lend a hand, but most people dont drive around with lambo orange G35s with 5% tint. (Drew a little more attention)

You will be fine with 35% especially if you leave the sun roof shade open.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:29 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

My car is registered in Arizona and have been pulled twice in VA for not having a front plate and dark tint. Thankfully both times the cop was nice and let me go. If they wanted to, I could have been ticketed both times.
How can you get a ticket for no front plate if the state you're registered in does not issue a front plate? That does not seem reasonable.

On the tint issue, the police can likely use their local laws to pull you over for further investigation, but it does not seem reasonable that you would receive a ticket but I can see that being a grey area.

Quick Reply: Question: Window tint laws when traveling