Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Anyone else doing the Houston SCCA Autocross Oct 6-7?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 10:24 PM
PinkFloyd
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone else doing the Houston SCCA Autocross Oct 6-7?

I'm new to doing any sort of performance driving event on four wheels, so I signed up for the October 6 Rookie Skool that Houston SCCA does yearly and plan to do the auto-x event the next day.

I was just wondering if anyone else from the forum might be doing the Houston or perhaps DFW area SCCA events. I'm closer to Dallas, but have family around the Woodlands.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:34 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
It's been years since I autocrossed with SCCA and BMW/Porsche clubs. I'm all about DEs as I prefer more open corners and higher speeds. I've been running with Driven N Blessed at MSR Houston.

Remember to have fun and take water, shade and something to sit on.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:26 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
That is great! Get some Auto-X under your belt and them go to a DE. You will smile for a week and talk about it even longer. Make sure you read up on techniques and tire pressures for your car and tires before you go. I find 4-6 runs of an AX more abusive to tires than 2 days (4-6 hours) of a DE. When you work your way to instructor you get free track time! ;-)
Old 09-05-2018, 07:08 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Another reason I quit autoX was the huge disparity between track time and event time. A good day will give you four runs, rarely more than a minute each. Yet you spend four to five hours there. I don't know if they still do it, but I would spend half the day waiting to run and the other half resetting cones.

With DEs, you usually get four 20 minute sessions, and your wait time is spent checking your car, eating, drinking, and jawing with other guys who are awaiting their next session. I'm instructing for D n B, so my track time is free. Anymore, I just give ride-alongs to my students. I don't mind at all if I don't drive during an event. Yes, DEs are expensive in comparison to autoX, but I like DEs too much to worry even if I did pay.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:50 PM
PinkFloyd
Registered Member

I had pretty much decided to do a DE weekend in Cresson this November with Driver's Edge until I ran across the Rookie Skool and started looking more into giving auto-x a go.

I suppose that I'm sort of dipping my toe into the water to see what the temp is by going this route. I don't have to add an oil cooler right away like I would have wanted to prior to running 20-min track sessions. I'm also slightly concerned about how the internals of my 10-year old 5AT transmission with 93K miles will hold up to track weekend use and abuse, even if it's just a few each year.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:17 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

AutoX is a good way to start. Inexpensive and easier on the car. Have fun.
The following users liked this post:
PinkFloyd (09-10-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 11:31 PM
PinkFloyd
Registered Member

I just got confirmation this weekend that they've moved this from the greyhound track parking lot to the Houston PD Academy. Good news for me since that's much closer to my son's house in Spring where I'll be staying.

Hoping that my Renetto canopy chair arrives this week so that I'll have a comfy seat with shade.

Trending Topics

Old 09-23-2018, 11:32 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Limited track layout but no light posts to hit. That's where I started.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:57 PM
PinkFloyd
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Limited track layout but no light posts to hit. That's where I started.
No light poles to hit may be a big plus for a rookie autocrosser like me.

Having seen some of the YouTube vids from each location, I can see what you mean about the HPD course allowing for less variety of the course layout. Hopefully that helps to keep me from getting lost among the sea of cones.