Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Tell me your engine heat solutions

Old 11-04-2020, 11:02 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Here's a great link from S2KI where he adds trailing edge vents to maximize efficiency.

What I don't see much info on is are these tests being performed with an under tray installed?

In the G past the timing cover most of the air gets channeled towards the exhaust manifolds and out through the trans tunnel.
The S2K has much more space than the G does plus exposed sections of the shock towers creates a stagnant area which the G doesn't have.

In my opinion any vents between the rad support and timing cover in the right way should yield the results you are looking for.
Trailing edge plates that go "INTO" the bay will help any holes made so air doesn't reverse.

One of the things to pay attention to is the valleys that the headlights and center edge of the hood create, essentially dividing airflow to the outer parts of the hood. This is where your vents should be placed.
As for cutting tool, an airsaw with fine metal blade will be your friend.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:33 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
Here's a great link from S2KI where he adds trailing edge vents to maximize efficiency.

What I don't see much info on is are these tests being performed with an under tray installed?

In the G past the timing cover most of the air gets channeled towards the exhaust manifolds and out through the trans tunnel.
The S2K has much more space than the G does plus exposed sections of the shock towers creates a stagnant area which the G doesn't have.

In my opinion any vents between the rad support and timing cover in the right way should yield the results you are looking for.
Trailing edge plates that go "INTO" the bay will help any holes made so air doesn't reverse.

One of the things to pay attention to is the valleys that the headlights and center edge of the hood create, essentially dividing airflow to the outer parts of the hood. This is where your vents should be placed.
As for cutting tool, an airsaw with fine metal blade will be your friend.
For the valleys of the hood, are you saying it would be better on the small space outside of the valley/ side closer to the headlights and wheels on the hood? Or do you mean similar to how my templates are sitting, just a little closer to those valleys on the sides of the hood?

I’m definitely designing it with trailing edge vents, and also wondering if I should design it so that it mounts flush to the underside of the hood, or if I can make a smooth edge for it to sit on top of the hood similar to the APR hood vents. If they sit on top, that would free up a few more mm (5-10mm) around the edges that can be used to make the vent openings a hair larger, but mounted flush under the hood is better for over-hood airflow to my understanding of (basic) physics. Would it even matter at sub 150mph speeds for most tracks?

I’ll take another look at that forward-most center opening in the hood frame I have circled in red to see if it might be in a good position for the radiator and timing cover space like you’re thinking. That’s a good call. I wasn’t paying too much attention to it when I was looking at the other areas but it might be perfect for that application.

I didn’t read anything about the use of vented undershrouds on those other cars reading through everything either, good point again - I wonder how much of a help they are with heat evacuation. I have the Z1 aluminum undershroud installed on my coupe currently and it has plenty of vents compared to the OEM plastic under tray. Wish I had the equipment to do some before and after temp tests.

Last edited by goldbug; 11-07-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:18 PM
spoolin03
Registered Member

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
so what happened with this project? I also notice that my car gets pretty hot after a few pulls and I could feel the heat in the cabin sometimes. When it's not hot it pulls hard, but when it's heat soaked I could feel drops in performance. I think hood vent would help lower IAT's at the least.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:31 PM
RosaP-37S-G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by spoolin03
so what happened with this project? I also notice that my car gets pretty hot after a few pulls and I could feel the heat in the cabin sometimes. When it's not hot it pulls hard, but when it's heat soaked I could feel drops in performance. I think hood vent would help lower IAT's at the least.
If it's of any service to cause, i too wanted some vents. However at a minimum, a 25 row oil cooler and front mounted intakes works pretty well. Sitting still in traffic (not driving hard anyway) iat probably goes well above 100 for me. But when moving back normal iat matches ambient temp. And the cooler has worked wonders. Mid summer in the dmv area where temps range from high 80s to 100s...my oil temps have barely peaked 200 while sitting in a prolonged situation of traffic. Whereas before I'd be around 235 in an instant.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:19 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

I’ve been too busy with work and other projects the past couple of months to get started on this one sadly, but am hoping to get around to it soon enough. It might be a fall/winter project. A friend hooked me up with a contact who does custom carbon fiber body work etc so I’m going to see if he can help me whip something up. I just need to take the time to make some detailed drawings and 3d print a mold for him. I’ll be sure to post any updates with my hood vent project. After I swap my radiator and heater hoses again, and install my OCC setup I should have time to start on the vents, always have multiple projects at once.

Oil coolers are still definitely the most beneficial cooling mod for our cars…I’ve been delaying ordering a 34 row setrab cooler though myself for my own project car, so I have no room to talk lol.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:53 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I sold the car, but probably would have picked up a hood with vents to see what difference that made if I kept tracking it. Oil cooler is a must for the track, but my Mishimoto radiator(s) did not seem to make a huge difference.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:41 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
So following what the 370z forum members report almost ALL that do a decent amount of pulls have vents, in their defense the Z has less of cooling area than what the G has however the main issue is under hood ventilation.

I've recently taken off my homemade undershield and like expected underhood temps decreased a bit with the addition of the hood dance at high speeds. I will have to revise the shield and maybe add some vents.

Based on the results the Z community gets, proper vents that evacuate this air will decrease underhood pressure and temps so we should all see positive results with these two steps.
The following users liked this post:
goldbug (08-06-2021)
Old 04-12-2022, 11:53 PM
thescreensavers
Registered Member

Received 83 Likes on 64 Posts
A little sneak peak at what I got going on, we will have the answers eventually... for optimal placement of hood vents.

Stay tuned...

The following 3 users liked this post by thescreensavers:
14Q60awdSPORT (04-14-2022), BULL (04-13-2022), goldbug (04-13-2022)