Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

The G37S is a great track car

Old 05-29-2018, 05:38 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 696 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by bPChaos
Another thing to probably consider other than PSI - check tire temps across the width of the tire. You'll be able to determine if you need more camber if you're burning up the shoulders of the tires. The rolling over is a bit more obvious but it could be that it's only in certain corners that it's doing that.
That's a good point. I usually use an infrared thermometer to get an idea of tire wear across the tread to see if my suspension and tire pressure are close as soon as I get off track. A tire probe is probably more accurate, but this at least lets me know if inside/outside/middle are getting too hot.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:09 AM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I neglected to specify that it was my front tires that were rolling over. You guys are right about veryfying if it is uneven contact. I didn't have a ir camera so I was basing this on the tools I had at the time.

That being said, I have quite a bit of freedom alignment-wise. I'm running SPL front and rear camber arms and toe bolts. Other suspension parts include Tein monosport coils, hotchkis sways, and SPL endlinks front and rear.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:21 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by FlashGuy
I neglected to specify that it was my front tires that were rolling over. You guys are right about veryfying if it is uneven contact. I didn't have a ir camera so I was basing this on the tools I had at the time.

That being said, I have quite a bit of freedom alignment-wise. I'm running SPL front and rear camber arms and toe bolts. Other suspension parts include Tein monosport coils, hotchkis sways, and SPL endlinks front and rear.
When you say your front tires were "rolling over" do you mean that you see wear starting to go down the side walls?

It looks like we have a similar set up for suspension mods and camber. Our cars are a bit heavy and carry more weight up front which causes them to understeer. Do you brake late going into a corner with high entry speed? That can be another cause. I found if I get my braking done a touch earlier and focus on being able to accelerate earlier out of the corner my lap times are lower and my tires are much happier. It feels slower going into the corner (because it is), but it is actually faster around the track.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:32 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So I got these faucet gaskets to put under the coolant overflow tank cap to try to solve the problem of cooling sloshing around and splashing out on the engine bay when I do track days. DO NOT DO THIS!

It did solve the problem of the coolant splashing. However, I believe it also pressurized the coolant overflow tank which may have pulled coolant out of the system, overheated the engine, and caused it to spit the coolant out the relief tube which caused the engine to get even hotter. Not cool. I think a better solution might be to cut a cap sized hole in a small sponge and cut around it so there would be a small sponge around the cap to collect the coolant that spits out, but does not pressurize the tank.

Some good news- The car was very fast and hopefully I will have some good video to share when I get some more time.

If you see these and think, "hey that would solve the leaky coolant overflow tank cap when I do track days." Skip it. TRUST ME

Definitely DO NOT put a gasket inside this coolant overflow tank cap
The following users liked this post:
slartibartfast (05-31-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 06:52 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
When you say your front tires were "rolling over" do you mean that you see wear starting to go down the side walls?

It looks like we have a similar set up for suspension mods and camber. Our cars are a bit heavy and carry more weight up front which causes them to understeer. Do you brake late going into a corner with high entry speed? That can be another cause. I found if I get my braking done a touch earlier and focus on being able to accelerate earlier out of the corner my lap times are lower and my tires are much happier. It feels slower going into the corner (because it is), but it is actually faster around the track.
The wear is going way past the shoulder block wear indicator.

It's like you were in the car with me. The front is incredibly heavy for sure and my driving style doesn't help. I brake late and hard. I like to trail brake, don't ask me why. Will have to try easy in easy out.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:22 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by FlashGuy
The wear is going way past the shoulder block wear indicator.

It's like you were in the car with me. The front is incredibly heavy for sure and my driving style doesn't help. I brake late and hard. I like to trail brake, don't ask me why. Will have to try easy in easy out.
Cool, I think changing your driving style will help a lot. I used to wait until the very last second to brake and trail brake like you to get the front end to stick, but it was to the detriment of my tires.

A month ago I was at Road America and noticed some extra wear on the fronts from late/trail braking. I had lots of open track and felt like I was squeezing every ounce of potential of the car driving at the limit, but it was really wearing my tires.

On Wednesday I was there again, but this time I got on the brakes a bit easier and earlier and really focused on trying to get on the gas earlier out of the right corners (not at the end of a long straight) rather than trying to late/trail brake every corner. I was in heavy traffic with lots of passing and ran a full second/lap quicker. Pretty drastic difference considering I did not really get one clean lap. My tires also look like I did not even do a track day. Wear lines right where they should be.

The only place I have really had luck with trail braking is a very short and technical 1 mile go cart track with 14 turns. It is really fun as you are almost drifting the car and really making it dance, but you just kill your tires. Not great for this car since wide sticky tires are not cheap.

Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by 4DRZ:
FlashGuy (06-02-2018), slartibartfast (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 10:46 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Is You tube the best place to host track videos to post up here? I was trying to upload video from my track day at Road America last week to Tinypic and it was not working at all. I used the GoPro app to upload video to facebook and it took a really long to upload only about 3 min. worth of video. Let me know if you guys have any tips. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2018, 08:35 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I finally got a chance to get about a lap and a third of the Road America track day uploaded. The car was running pretty fast as I caught a lot of cars with big power and weight advantages. It ends a bit abruptly as the GoPro still cuts out and starts a new video at 17:42 every time? Anyone know a way around that?

Old 06-11-2018, 04:38 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Noice!

Point-bys weren't required?

That's my first view of the down-hill right turn from inside a car. It's commonly seen in crash videos, though bikes more than cars.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:45 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Noice!

Point-bys weren't required?

That's my first view of the down-hill right turn from inside a car. It's commonly seen in crash videos, though bikes more than cars.
Point bys were mentioned, but no one was giving them which is really annoying when you are used to them. The car passing was supposed to put on their signal to indicate the pass, but no one paid attention. The 1st Corvette I passed in the video would try to drag race me in the straights and actually moved over twice to cut me off when I was attempting to pass. Needless to say I will probably not be doing track days with this group again.

Are you talking about coming out of the carousel or into turn 3 when you say down-hill right?
Old 06-11-2018, 07:24 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

1:35 is the beginning of the down-hill.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
1:35 is the beginning of the down-hill.
Oh yeah, that is turn 3. It's a fun corner. Usually people freak out at Road America about the kink because you have a concrete wall instead of any runoff area.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:46 PM
6spd_Hayes
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, I took the first step in slowing down the heat transfer from the Carbotech race pads to the Motul RBF600 brake fluid. These are 6AL-4V titanium brake shims. 1.0 mm front and 0.8 mm rear.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:56 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Ooo, Mr. Fancy Pants with aluminum/vanadium insulators.

So, where can I buy those? Carbotech?
Old 06-14-2018, 08:29 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Hard Brakes makes them

https://hardbrakes.com/index.php?mai...xm3UOVYJc8byb3

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The G37S is a great track car