Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

The G37S is a great track car

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 05:57 AM
6spd_Hayes
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I have another track day at Road America on April 30th so I figured I would order some more track brake pads and finally get the Z1 slotted 2pc. rotors for the front. My rotor decision was sped up by the fact that the last track day at Road America did cause some small surface cracks you can see below.

Spencer at Z1 talked me into trying out the Carbotech XP12 pads up front and XP10's in back. It looks like they go up to a little higher temp than my Hawk DTC-60's and I like the fact they claim to be easier on rotors. They are supposed to last longer too, but I tried Carbotech on my WRX years ago and they were easier on rotors, but they crumbled and wore really quickly. Hopefully they have changed. Anyone else running
I am in Dawsonville, Georgia today to run st Atlanta MotorSport Park with Just Track It today. I just put on a set of Z1 two piece rotors, ss brake/clutch lines, 34 row oil cooler, and Carbotec XP10/12 combo. I’ll pass along my impressions after the track day.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:41 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Splitter
I'd agree with you, but it took me 6 months to get around to changing pads after my last track day, so, you know, just a heads up
6 months!?! Wow, your wheels must have been black from all the brake dust. You can daily drive with track pads once you get used to how responsive your brakes are, but I would not recommend it.

Originally Posted by 6spd_Hayes

I am in Dawsonville, Georgia today to run st Atlanta MotorSport Park with Just Track It today. I just put on a set of Z1 two piece rotors, ss brake/clutch lines, 34 row oil cooler, and Carbotec XP10/12 combo. I’ll pass along my impressions after the track day.
Cool, it sounds like we are running a very similar set up. Curious to hear your thoughts about your brakes after your track day
Old 05-20-2018, 11:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So I think I may have found a solution to my leaking coolant overflow tank cap when the coolant sloshes around on track. I initially tried a black rubber O-ring, but it was too thick. Then I went to Home Depot and picked up a thin gasket for a faucet. Just the right thickness. Hopefully, it holds. I'll find out at Road America on May 30th.

This kit includes 2 of the red gaskets

Old 05-21-2018, 12:12 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Nice discovery!
Old 05-21-2018, 02:18 PM
6spd_Hayes
Registered Member

Cool, it sounds like we are running a very similar set up. Curious to hear your thoughts about your brakes after your track day
My first impression of the Carbotech XP12 (f)/XP10 (r) using cross drilled and slotted Z1 two piece rotors on front (with stock OEM rear), Z1 SS brakelines, Motul RBF600, (square) 18x10 Enkei NT03RR (19.2 lbs ea) and 275/35 Bridgestone RE-71s:

- did a very good job of bedding them in on the street. Did a half dozen 40-5 mph stops, with 60 sec of cooling in between. Afterwards, you could tell there was a good bit of pad material bedding into the rotors, but there wasn’t much ‘blue’ heat discoloration.
- after watching this video (
)(skip to 11 minutes), I went out and did 8 back-to-back 80-5 mph stops. All 4 corners were smoking afterwards. Later, I noticed even better braking performance. Rotors got that blueish discoloration from heat. Think that will do.
- trailered the car to Atlanta Motorsport Park in Dawsonville, GA. First Intermediate 1 session was in the wet, but drying. Did several 100-20 stops, just to verify the brakes were good. Brakes are PHENOMINAL!!
- second session, got to playing with a new M3, and a coyote swapped 96 Mustang GT with a complete road race setup( 98 Cobra IRS, Cobra brakes, tubular front subframe, Maximum Motorsport suspension, etc). The M3 could not keep up. I was more/less right on with the Mustang.
- toward the end of the session (lap 9), I came across start/finish at 115 mph, hit the brakes for the hard turn 1 left hander, and pushed the brake pedal to the floor. Brakes were gone. Scared half the crap out of me. Luckily I got it hauled down pumping brakes and downshifting. Didn’t put it into the sand thank goodness. Cooled it down on way to the pits (and very little braking).
- I’m now a card carrying member of the ‘Gold’ Akebono crew. Boiled the RBF600 off in the calipers.
- after cooling down, I backed off on my super hard turn 1 braking. I still had a great time.
- session 5, felt the backend lift off going into right hand turn 16 at about 105 mph. Counter steered and straightened it out. Felt it get light in the left hand carrousel. That was it, I’m done for the day. I think I had burned off so much fuel, the backend got real light (I was less than a 1/4 tank by then). Plus in the heat of the afternoon , the RE71Rs were getting gummy.
- put her back on the trailer safe and sound.
- drove it to work this morning.

That XP12/10 is a killer combo. I need to invest in some brake duct cooling next.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (05-22-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 02:38 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Glad to hear that the brake pads work well, but pretty scary about cooking your fluid coming down from 115. I wonder if you are on the brakes just a touch too long. It's not tough to do. I cooked my stock clutch fluid once before upgrading just by keeping the clutch in a touch too long.

Before I got brake ducts and some more performance parts at Road America I was coming down from 120-130 in 3 places and never had any issues. Now with front brake ducts and more go fast bits on the same track I am coming down from 130-140 without issue in the same 3 spots.

So you pulled on a new M3 on the straight? That is amazing as they have a ton more torque that we do. What do you have done to your car for power? Sedan or coupe?

There was a new M3 at my last track day in April at Road America and he was running 2:41's and I was running 2:51's ringing the cars neck. He was in a lower run group than me just dominating so I am not sure where he was making time on me, but I would imagine it was the long straights.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:02 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Gonna raise my hand for the Carbotech club as well. XP10/8 here on Hankook RS3s, but like Splitter I'll be moving up to 12/10 as well when these are done.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 09:50 PM
6spd_Hayes
Registered Member

Glad to hear that the brake pads work well, but pretty scary about cooking your fluid coming down from 115. I wonder if you are on the brakes just a touch too long. It's not tough to do. I cooked my stock clutch fluid once before upgrading just by keeping the clutch in a touch too long.

Before I got brake ducts and some more performance parts at Road America I was coming down from 120-130 in 3 places and never had any issues. Now with front brake ducts and more go fast bits on the same track I am coming down from 130-140 without issue in the same 3 spots.

So you pulled on a new M3 on the straight? That is amazing as they have a ton more torque that we do. What do you have done to your car for power? Sedan or coupe?

There was a new M3 at my last track day in April at Road America and he was running 2:41's and I was running 2:51's ringing the cars neck. He was in a lower run group than me just dominating so I am not sure where he was making time on me, but I would imagine it was the long straights.
‘12 G37S Sedan. Only mods were Z1 SS Clutch line, premium SS brake lines, 34 row oil cooler, Motul RBF600, 18x10+38 Enkei NT03RRs with Bridgestone RE71s, Carbotech XP12/10, 2 piece Z1 Rotors in front. No other mods. I am very familiar with this track. This was my third event here (but first with the G37). I certainly wasn’t braking too much/soon. I would brake as much and as late as I could, just after coming off the gas. Brake last, finish first they say. You are right, the M3 driver probably wasn’t driving it 10/10ths like I was. I’ll have pictures and video soon. My best of the day was a 1:40.67. I’ll be mimicking your brake ducting setup over the next month. I’ve got a custom 1346/1347 set of 6AL-4V Titanium shims (1.0mm Front, 0.8mm Rear) being cut right now that may help some. I’ve already registered for my next track day at Barber Motorsport Park (June 10th).
Old 05-22-2018, 11:38 PM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I have titanium shims and brake ducts in front and even with the XP10/8 at COTA on a 115 degree day I did not get brake failure.

I didn't go incrementally so I can't tell what was the deciding factor, but the package works well, so I hope you have the same experience.

I also have nicely silver brake calipers and hope to never join the brown club!
Old 05-22-2018, 11:48 PM
6spd_Hayes
Registered Member

Here is the video...

Old 05-23-2018, 12:33 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Nice. Where did the white BMW go at the end? And no tire squeal?
Old 05-23-2018, 08:23 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by 6spd_Hayes
Here is the video...

https://youtu.be/2YFBFtgBvuo
nice video, cool to see a Sedan with so few mods (and no suspension mods) on the track.

Only question I have is how come you took your headrest out?
Old 05-23-2018, 03:34 PM
6spd_Hayes
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hashim
nice video, cool to see a Sedan with so few mods (and no suspension mods) on the track.

Only question I have is how come you took your headrest out?
Yes, no power or suspension mods. I’m probably going to do sway bars next once I get the brake cooling sorted. So, my headrest pushes my helmet too far forward. I’d forgotten about it until I was in que to get on track. I tried flipping it 180 but it didn’t work. So I just pulled it off the rest of the day. The camera was a Hero Session 4.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:57 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Here is a recent day with the local BMW club.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:35 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Is that Blackhawk Farms?

Nevermind, Google was my friend. Looks like a fun track.

Quick Reply: The G37S is a great track car