Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

The G37S is a great track car

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 01:27 PM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
I went back to the stock G37 Muffler and kept the RHFCs and it was a perfect for my taste.
Good to know, thanks! I have been on the fence about it a little, but I can see them being the beginning of a very deep rabbit hole that includes intake and tuning, probably full exhaust, etc... I am now firmly on this side of the fence and will remain there.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:02 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
My first track day ever will be at New Jersey Motorsports Park on March 31st!! Super excited.
2013 G37S Sedan 6MT
Suspension: Stance XR1 true type coils w/ 12/8k Swifts, SPL FUCA, SPL camber arms, SPL toe arms, SPL lockout kit, Cusco strut bar

Wheels: Weds SA-15R 18x9.5 square 265/40/18 Bridgestone Pole Position S04

Intake tubes, high flow filters, Fast Intentions 2.5in catback, AAM HFC, ATI super damper crank pulley

Hopefully the car holds up well!
Old 02-12-2018, 11:34 PM
Calg37USMC
Premier Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
My first track day ever will be at New Jersey Motorsports Park on March 31st!! Super excited.
2013 G37S Sedan 6MT
Suspension: Stance XR1 true type coils w/ 12/8k Swifts, SPL FUCA, SPL camber arms, SPL toe arms, SPL lockout kit, Cusco strut bar

Intake tubes, high flow filters, Fast Intentions 2.5in catback, AAM HFC, ATI super damper crank pulley

What fluids are you running? Brakes, clutch, and diff?
Old 02-13-2018, 02:52 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Calg37USMC
What fluids are you running? Brakes, clutch, and diff?
GT-R fluid for the clutch currently, will probably run AMSOIL high temp brake fluid, and Motul in the diff.

I'm not concerned for now because it is my first time and I'll be with an instructor. I'll gauge the rest of my upgrades off of this experience.

Upgrading to Z1 2pc rotors front and rear, Hawk HPS pads, and braided stainless steel lines after this though.
The following users liked this post:
Calg37USMC (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 12:28 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Do the brake pads now.

I don't know what pads you're running now, but if you're on stock pads, you will regret it. It will cut your day short when you burn through them in 4-5 sessions as you get more comfortable braking later and later.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:35 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I got eight sessions from my OE pads (45k miles)and I run in the advanced group. I did have to change them after the second event but ZM can get one event, surely.

ZM, better go ahead and order a new set of pads. If you intend any further track events, I suggest you get better pads. I switched to Hawk 5.0 street/track pads. They squeal a bit but hey, #racecar!
Old 02-13-2018, 01:35 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by bPChaos
Do the brake pads now.

I don't know what pads you're running now, but if you're on stock pads, you will regret it. It will cut your day short when you burn through them in 4-5 sessions as you get more comfortable braking later and later.
Agreed. You have a nice big brake kit (BBK), but you also have a nice big, heavy car. Make sure you at least upgrade your brake fluid and pads. Hawk makes very good pads, but I would skip the HPS. They are too dusty and squeaky on the street and not high enough temp for serious track work with a heavy car. I run DTC60 front and back and they work really well. Our calipers make it very easy to swap out pads for track days. Just make sure to bring some extra fluid and a plastic syringe to add/remove excess fluid in the master cylinder because both sets of pads will almost always be different thicknesses. A short pry bar (12") works wonders for compressing brake caliper pistons to switch back to whatever set of pads is thicker (street/track).

Check the WET boiling point for the amsoil brake fluid. If it is any lower than Motul RBF600, just get the Motul fluid. I have run this fluid for almost 20 years in tons of cars and never had an issue. I would put this fluid in your clutch line as well and get a better insulated clutch line like the one Z1 makes. I was at Road America and was leaving the clutch in just a touch too long while heel and toe downshifting and cooked the factory fluid because the clutch line is very close to the exhaust manifold.

edit: You will want at least Amsoil Dominator brake fluid as it looks to have a slightly higher wet boiling point than Motul RBF600, but a lower dry boiling point. The other synthetic brake fluid that Amsoil makes has a significantly lower boiling point.

I would definitely get an oil cooler as well as these engines run hot and you will probably cook the oil and go into limp mode pretty early on if you are driving fast.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 02-13-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:37 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Yes, what 4DRZ said about brake fluid. Get highest dry boiling fluid you can. Motul600 is one good choice.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:54 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Yes, what 4DRZ said about brake fluid. Get highest dry boiling fluid you can. Motul600 is one good choice.
You probably mean WET boiling point because brake fluid starts absorbing moisture the second you open the bottle.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:42 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

The bottle will show both dry and wet boiling points. Dry is 600 degrees for that Motul. Wet will be high 300s.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:08 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
I got eight sessions from my OE pads (45k miles)and I run in the advanced group. I did have to change them after the second event but ZM can get one event, surely.

ZM, better go ahead and order a new set of pads. If you intend any further track events, I suggest you get better pads. I switched to Hawk 5.0 street/track pads. They squeal a bit but hey, #racecar!
It's possible. It also depends on the track/track configuration and temperature of that day. But as brake pads are a critical part of the safety systems and they're one of the easiest parts to replace, I'd err on the side of caution for that particular part.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:08 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
2013 G37S Sedan 6MT

Good luck on the track day! you'll be surprised at the limits you can put your car to, especially with your set up... its nothing like street driving...maybe its because I'm not that fast but track days make me feel like these cars don't need more power just suspension, tires and brake tweaks.

second/third/fourth what the others are saying about pads and brake fluid..you'll have way more fun for much longer with much more aggressive brake pads and fluid that will hold up...

Just to widen the field of already great suggestions, I run EBC NDX Blue pads and daily with them too and love them...I run rb600 but am considering going to 660 this year...
Old 02-15-2018, 03:25 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hashim
Good luck on the track day! you'll be surprised at the limits you can put your car to, especially with your set up... its nothing like street driving...maybe its because I'm not that fast but track days make me feel like these cars don't need more power just suspension, tires and brake tweaks.

second/third/fourth what the others are saying about pads and brake fluid..you'll have way more fun for much longer with much more aggressive brake pads and fluid that will hold up...
This is very true- brakes make a much bigger difference in lap times compared to just adding power. They are also your most important safety feature on track.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:30 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Another successful track. Only ran two of my four sessions but I didn't mind, as an instructor my day was picked up by the organizers.

As usual, the 7AT was a disappointment.

My new Hawk pads were disappointing in my first session but it turns out I hadn't fully bedded them in. Splitter was there, too. He followed my at one point and remarked at all the brake smoke I was emitting. Brakes were much better in the second session. Splitter has some video he'll be putting up in a day or three.

The Z1 collars were pretty much invisible but I detected the car behaving a tad better when using the curbs though the traction control light lit as expected. While they don't make a huge difference for me, just knowing the subframe monkey motions are checked makes me feel good with about their price.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:35 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The Z1 collars were pretty much invisible but I detected the car behaving a tad better when using the curbs though the traction control light lit as expected. While they don't make a huge difference for me, just knowing the subframe monkey motions are checked makes me feel good with about their price.
Good to know about the collars. They are on my list.

Quick Reply: The G37S is a great track car