Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

The G37S is a great track car

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 12:44 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Lt8Che
Also, for seat rails I am using wedge and they line right up, no issues.
Do you have a coupe? Bride rails are the only ones I could find that fit the sedan. I was able to drill out the hole and get new hardware and it was a lot easier than I thought.

However, the rails do make the seat a touch high. I would prefer to lower it about an inch, but all the weird angles of the seat brackets make that look pretty difficult.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:54 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Participated in the Driven n Blessed event today at Motorsports Ranch Houston.

Experienced fuel starvation after right-hand long-radius turns. I started at 3/4-tank and used a little less than quarter-tank per session. Happened once at about half-tank during my 2nd session, happened several times during my 3rd session once fuel level dropped to a quarter-tank. Left the track to buy gas.

Original brake pads are pretty worn now. End of third session the brake warning light came on down the "front straight". Next lap was end of the session and the traction control light came on and stayed on until I shut off the car. It didn't come back on when I went for gas but the brake warning lit briefly as I was returning.

On the first lap of the last session, the brake warning lit again briefly then the traction control light came on and stayed on. The brakes never failed but there was a lot of pedal travel. Before my first track event in August, I had the fluid flushed and topped off. So, the two events wore the crap out of the pads. Time for new pads; might as well get rotors, too.

Only got two laps in the last session because I spun bigger 'n' Dallas coming over The Launch. I was distracted by the damned traction light and came up fast on an NSX who pointed me by just before the turn. Because I was worried about braking capacity, I was going to slow down and follow the NSX. But, with the point-by I passed him a bit off line and wasn't fully concentrating on the turn and experience a snap spin. The Launch turn goes over a five foot hump, you have to be turning before you cross the top of the hump. Well, being off line and not fully concentrating I turned late and the unload over the top pissed away my rear traction and around I went. Lesson learned.

Was black flagged because organizers thought I went off track, which I didn't. But, I decided it was time to pack up and go home. The G is my daily driver, after all.

Engine didn't seem to burn any oil this event or last. Good to know that!

The Michelin PSS tires did well though they can squall pretty loudly when understeering.

Traction control doesn't like it when I use the curbs.

Organizers did a good job of getting groups gridded before the end of the current session so there was minimal delay getting on track. Event pricing was pretty good, too. Will go again some time next spring.

Met a fellow named Ryan with a 2012 sedan S 6mt. I'm mega jealous. He didn't run, though. A white G37 S coupe showed up just as I gridded for my last session but I didn't get a chance to meet the driver. If you're here, shout out.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:05 PM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Glad to hear the day went well. I will be out for their next event hopefully, they are well run and good value.

If you can swing race and track pads, the Carbotech XP12 front and XP10 rear is very good on track but squeal like a pig on the road, so I change pads before the track and then back again. I run the Z1 Motorsports 2 piece rotors which are also very good, but pricey.

Get yourself some RBF600 brake fluid and bleed the brakes and the clutch. I do mine after every event and have had very good experience with it.

I didn't attend this event - shame to miss you really - because I took my father to COTA for a run. He had an instructor ride with him all day and had a blast, including in the wet.

Here's his fastest run in car video:

And doing what this car does best: embarrassing M3's:
The following users liked this post:
KAHBOOM (01-12-2018)
Old 12-17-2017, 10:19 PM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Splitter
Glad to hear the day went well. I will be out for their next event hopefully, they are well run and good value.

If you can swing race and track pads, the Carbotech XP12 front and XP10 rear is very good on track but squeal like a pig on the road, so I change pads before the track and then back again. I run the Z1 Motorsports 2 piece rotors which are also very good, but pricey.

Get yourself some RBF600 brake fluid and bleed the brakes and the clutch. I do mine after every event and have had very good experience with it.

I didn't attend this event - shame to miss you really - because I took my father to COTA for a run. He had an instructor ride with him all day and had a blast, including in the wet.

Here's his fastest run in car video:

And doing what this car does best: embarrassing M3's:
We are working on getting a January event going! Keep an eye out!
Old 12-17-2017, 10:24 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Hi, splitter. Glad your pops could go and have a good time. One of the guys from our August event with BMW M3 brought his father along yesterday. His father has a new 'Vette, one of the hi-power models. He was having a great time.

I used hi-temp fluid in August, so I'm good in that regard. Not in a position to cough up the dough for the 2-piece rotors. I'll just get new blanks and Hawk pads. I'm satisfied with the performance of the Akebonos for the moment. I'm happy to have gotten almost 50k miles from the original pads.

I really need to get Miata running as my track car.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:35 PM
Splitter

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
I'm satisfied with the performance of the Akebonos for the moment.
I've been pleasantly surprised. I expected them to be good, they have a good foundation and design, but they've done better than I thought they would.

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
I really need to get Miata running as my track car.
Not kidding. Much cheaper. But not as good as a daily, especially once they're done up for track work.

In terms of fuel starve, I've taken to filling up after every run. I hate to carry the weight around, but I've had fuel starve at over 3/4 of a tank so now I just accept it as another limitation of the car. There are solutions out there, but the cheapest is $500 and the only other over $1000. I'll just keep topping up after each run.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:38 PM
Splitter

Packing for a track day, coupe style:

Old 12-18-2017, 03:37 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Your packing job reminds me of one my trips to California for an Sentra SE-R National Convention. I too could only fit one wheel in the trunk with the other three in the rear seat. Ran Streets of Willow that trip.

In re fuel, I wanted to fill up before arriving at the track but thought I was pressed for time. I thought I might experience the problem but considered it a good learning experience.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:06 AM
Splitter

Well I finally got around to getting the Z1 rear subframe collars installed last weekend. Only driven to work a few times in the car, so no comments on performance improvements, but certainly a change in feel and NVH.

The fitment was VERY tight, I had to use a bottle jack to get the collars in to the bushings far enough to be able to get the nut threaded on again, this with more than sufficient lubrication. The instructions say the install can be completed in 30 minutes with a lift. Without a lift it took me the better part of 4 hours of mucking around. That doesn't include polishing the exhaust tips while the exhaust was off the car. I'm sure it'd be much quicker the next time around, but there is a LOT of crap to take off the G to be able to drop the subframe that I don't think exists on the Z (plastics, etc)

Like I said, certainly a step up in NVH compared to the nolathane diff bushings, which I'm unsure about. I think you'd notice it a lot more in the Z than a G with the extra sound deadening, but it's getting really close to my line of too-loud for a daily driven luxury coupe. Gear engagement can now be seriously felt, along with backlash in the driveline. There's no doubt that the collars have removed a lot of play, so I'll get back to you again once I've driven on a track.

Difficulty: not high, just time consuming
Result: Your mileage will vary. I will leave them in, but that's the end of rear-end mods for me trying to maintain a balance of performance and livability. I've also decided not to do the Fast Intentions Resonated High Flow Cats, the car is getting too noisy.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:36 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

What other mods do you have on your Q60S that is making it seem almost too loud with the rear bushing inserts?
Old 01-10-2018, 09:05 AM
Splitter

Dude, for you, go for it!

I'm a little sensitive when it comes to DD duty. Coilovers, nolathane diff bushing, SPL solid bushing toe arms in back and upper arms in front, this car is noisy enough now for me.

Given your mods, I would highly recommend you get the subframe collars, you won't notice much additional noise, if any
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 02:12 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Dude, for you, go for it!

I'm a little sensitive when it comes to DD duty. Coilovers, nolathane diff bushing, SPL solid bushing toe arms in back and upper arms in front, this car is noisy enough now for me.

Given your mods, I would highly recommend you get the subframe collars, you won't notice much additional noise, if any
Glad to hear that. Those were one of the things on my list.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:46 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
I've also decided not to do the Fast Intentions Resonated High Flow Cats, the car is getting too noisy.

Personally I'd say that is a good call. I had the sport muffler which is what you have on the Limited, then and I added Fast Intention RHFCs and it was too loud for my taste.
I went back to the stock G37 Muffler and kept the RHFCs and it was a perfect for my taste.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:31 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Do you have a coupe? Bride rails are the only ones I could find that fit the sedan. I was able to drill out the hole and get new hardware and it was a lot easier than I thought.

However, the rails do make the seat a touch high. I would prefer to lower it about an inch, but all the weird angles of the seat brackets make that look pretty difficult.

Yeah, I have a coupe so it would probably be a bit different. Sorry for the late response.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:38 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lt8Che
Yeah, I have a coupe so it would probably be a bit different. Sorry for the late response.
Oh, then you are set. Seat rails for coupes are a dime a dozen.

Quick Reply: The G37S is a great track car