Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

The G37S is a great track car

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:39 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by bsanalyst
I'm surprised few have considered putting the G35 coupe forged Rays wheels on the sedan. I know it may not LOOK the best but they're not terribly difficult to source from the used market, are well priced, and very lightweight (I believe the 19"x8.5" rear wheels are 20lbs).

It is currently my top choice, I saw someone on youtube with a G37 sedan who bought 2 sets of rear G35 rays to run a square setup with 255 tire.
They are pretty narrow and once you lower the car I believe the offset is pretty jacked up. Not the best idea in the world to run spacers on the track.

Originally Posted by Splitter
If you look closely in one of my pics with the washer bottle, you'll see there is a bee's **** of room behind the fog light. If you pulled the entire plastic surround out and made a custom inlet duct you may be able to make it fit, but I really really doubt it'll work any other way. Do have a look tho, like I said I gave up before really taking a good measure, but I think your problem will be the bend radius of the hose. Hell, on the front grill it almost touches the PS cooler and oil cooler, so you do need a lot of space.

As for wheels. As above, you could get lots of cheap options that would work, but personally I really wanted to go as wide - and square - as I could fit without rolling guards and that's a 9.5. I am of the opinion that a 19x10+32/+35 could squeeze in, but I couldn't find anyone who had done it with proper rubber - it was all the stance crowd with biig camber and stretch. Also, the Enkei's (cheap) would need a spacer and I didn't want to do that, so I settled for not being the guinea pig and sticking with a 9.5" rim with 275 section tire instead of 10" rim with a 285 section tire.

Speaking of, these showed up today:
Ah, ok that makes sense about a limited amount of room. I will check it out before ordering.

Nice slicks!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:32 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
I have a coupe, so I have a bit more room everywhere, but I am also of the opinion that a x10 +34ish would fit with a 275 tire without too much modification. If you want to track, I would do a minimum of a x9.5 with a 255 (that's not that much of a stretch) unless your specific class prohibits it.

Splitter, which Enkeis were you looking at? I'm not sure the RPF1s in 18s will clear the brakes, but the NT03+M definitely will if you have a 2.5mm spacer, which is perfectly safe to run on a track.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:14 PM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bPChaos
Splitter, which Enkeis were you looking at? I'm not sure the RPF1s in 18s will clear the brakes, but the NT03+M definitely will if you have a 2.5mm spacer, which is perfectly safe to run on a track.
I have the PF01 in 9.5" +35. I was looking at the RPF1 but that needs a 5-10mm spacer to clear brakes if I recall correctly and I didn't like the cost of the NT03, so I decided not to pursue the 10" rim. I also couldn't find anyone running a 285 tire, every example I could find of 10 and 10.5" wheels had 245-255 tire, which is why I got nervous about the actual clearance.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:03 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

What oil do you guys usually run on track?

I typically use Mobil 1. I noticed when I went to change the oil that on the back of the bottle Mobil also makes a higher mileage 15,000 mile oil that is supposed to deal with heat even better. I always skipped that oil because I never go that long between oil changes, but might try it next time if it deals with heat even better than Mobil 1.

Anyone try the "high temp" 15,000 mile Mobil 1 oil on track with good results?
Old 04-25-2017, 05:18 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Same as you, probably. Mobil 1 full synthetic, 0W-30.

I've heard about the use of Ester oil since the VVEL system seems to like that, but I've not had any issues running what I have currently.

The high mileage/higher temp formula seems interesting, I might drop some in when I do my next oil change and report back. I do like 400 miles/week for work so that time will come soon enough.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:11 PM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm using Redline 5W-30 changing it every 3,500 miles, or after every track weekend (not autocross), whichever comes first. I'll be commuting in the car again in about 5 months, 300 miles a week, so we'll see if I keep the spending up...

Last edited by Splitter; 04-25-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:42 AM
T-One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have NT03s. they clear my akebonos with alot of clearance....almost too much clearance. 18x10.5 +30 square on 275/40-18 Nfera SUR4s for autox
Old 05-01-2017, 10:49 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I finally ordered some of the Z1/Stillen brake cooling ducts. We will see how much creativity I have to use to get them to fit...

Old 05-02-2017, 01:46 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Originally Posted by T-One
i have NT03s. they clear my akebonos with alot of clearance....almost too much clearance. 18x10.5 +30 square on 275/40-18 Nfera SUR4s for autox
The 9.5 +27 NT03s don't. Haha. How's clearance at the front fender though?
Old 05-02-2017, 07:44 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
I have a HPDE coming up at the Mosport DDT and wanted to get some opinions on brake pads for my G37 Sport Sedan. I am in the intermediate group.

Prices in Canadian $
EBC YellowStuff pads are: $209
G-Loc (very similar to CarboTech) pads: $273
CarboTech XP8: $286

With the price in mind, I am liking the yellowstuff pads and I suspect they will work well with my "not very sticky" RE970AS all season tires. (When they wear out, then RE-71R

The pads will only be in for the day of the event, then back to stock.

I await for the experts to chime in
Old 05-02-2017, 08:04 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Whatever pad you buy, be sure to bed them in so your old pad material has been scrubbed off the rotors. Also, green fade (pads) sucks. Been there, spun that.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:59 AM
bsanalyst

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The Stillen oil cooler apparently includes a thermostatic plate that only accepts a certain Fram filter or equivalent. 4DRZ, is this true? Has this been an issue for you when taking your car to the dealership for an oil change? Assuming you do go to the dealership for oil change.

I want the Stillen kit due to its good price point but wondering if I can swap in a thermostatic plate from a different manufacturer e.g. from the Z1 kit, which advertises that it is compatible with OEM oil filters.

The other thing I was thinking about was the size of the hosing. The Stillen kit uses 8AN hosing whereas the Z1 kit uses 10AN (thicker) hosing. 4DR, I know you installed the Stillen kit and have aftermarket sways like I do, have you inspected for any rubbing damage? Do you think 10AN hosing would have been doable?

Cheers.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:52 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
I have a HPDE coming up at the Mosport DDT and wanted to get some opinions on brake pads for my G37 Sport Sedan. I am in the intermediate group.

Prices in Canadian $
EBC YellowStuff pads are: $209
G-Loc (very similar to CarboTech) pads: $273
CarboTech XP8: $286

With the price in mind, I am liking the yellowstuff pads and I suspect they will work well with my "not very sticky" RE970AS all season tires. (When they wear out, then RE-71R

The pads will only be in for the day of the event, then back to stock.

I await for the experts to chime in
Mosport is a fun track. A long drive for me, but I was there once a few years ago.

If your tires are close to wearing out and you plan to upgrade to RE-71R's soon you might want to consider a more aggressive pad for the track. Definitely get some Motul RBF600 or similar high temp fluid too.

The Stillen oil cooler apparently includes a thermostatic plate that only accepts a certain Fram filter or equivalent. 4DRZ, is this true? Has this been an issue for you when taking your car to the dealership for an oil change? Assuming you do go to the dealership for oil change.

I want the Stillen kit due to its good price point but wondering if I can swap in a thermostatic plate from a different manufacturer e.g. from the Z1 kit, which advertises that it is compatible with OEM oil filters.

The other thing I was thinking about was the size of the hosing. The Stillen kit uses 8AN hosing whereas the Z1 kit uses 10AN (thicker) hosing. 4DR, I know you installed the Stillen kit and have aftermarket sways like I do, have you inspected for any rubbing damage? Do you think 10AN hosing would have been doable?

Cheers.
Good questions. I usually change the oil myself and Fleet Farm in town has these filters regularly in stock. It is a Fram tough guard and part of the reason they use it is it is almost twice the size so much more filtration. Surprisingly, it is dirt cheap- about $5 so I usually get a number of them at the same time.

I was able to fit the tubing ok, I just routed things a bit differently. I also bought some rubber tubing (maybe 1") to wrap around the tubing in areas it would be in contact with other parts of the car. So far this has worked out really well.

I think you could fit larger tubing if you wanted to without much effort. The thing I am curious to see is if I left enough room for my brake ducts that I just got in the mail...
Old 05-14-2017, 10:06 PM
bsanalyst

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Went to the same autox course today, pretty much the same weather. The only different was I had my front strut bar off and I had fresh full synthetic oil.

This time, my oil temps hit a peak of 242.6, coolant a peak of 221. Interesting that the peak oil temp was 40F lower than with my old oil. I think my old oil was a synthetic blend and this time I went full synthetic. I don't know what the dealership put in there or why the temps were so much lower this time but I am pretty happy. That said, I was being mindful of my temps, giving the a car a break when needed.

This may give me reason to skip the oil cooler upgrade and go straight to wheels and tires. No plans to take the car on the track, anyway.

Will upload a video shortly. I am quite happy with the current setup, it's little oversteery but plenty of fun. I am still learning how to correct oversteer properly, which is hard with my current setup. I have Hotchkis rear sways at the middle setting (3 way) and front Eibach sway bars at the lower (2 way) setting. I am getting lots of lift off oversteer which I think it unusual given the slight bias of weight to the front and the multilink suspension setup. I may move the Eibach fronts to the higher setting and see if it fixes that issue.

Boss 302 mustang crashed at the event today. The driver overcorrected too hard and went off into a ditch . I had a chance to ride along in a 370Z Nismo. Although I was in the passenger seat, it felt remarkably similar to my G37 in the way that it behaved. We timed our laps to see what the difference was and I was maybe 0.5-1 second behind (27.x seconds vs. 26.x seconds, I don't remember exactly what he told me).
Old 05-15-2017, 10:14 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Went to the same autox course today, pretty much the same weather. The only different was I had my front strut bar off and I had fresh full synthetic oil.

This time, my oil temps hit a peak of 242.6, coolant a peak of 221. Interesting that the peak oil temp was 40F lower than with my old oil. I think my old oil was a synthetic blend and this time I went full synthetic. I don't know what the dealership put in there or why the temps were so much lower this time but I am pretty happy. That said, I was being mindful of my temps, giving the a car a break when needed.

This may give me reason to skip the oil cooler upgrade and go straight to wheels and tires. No plans to take the car on the track, anyway.

Will upload a video shortly. I am quite happy with the current setup, it's little oversteery but plenty of fun. I am still learning how to correct oversteer properly, which is hard with my current setup. I have Hotchkis rear sways at the middle setting (3 way) and front Eibach sway bars at the lower (2 way) setting. I am getting lots of lift off oversteer which I think it unusual given the slight bias of weight to the front and the multilink suspension setup. I may move the Eibach fronts to the higher setting and see if it fixes that issue.

Boss 302 mustang crashed at the event today. The driver overcorrected too hard and went off into a ditch . I had a chance to ride along in a 370Z Nismo. Although I was in the passenger seat, it felt remarkably similar to my G37 in the way that it behaved. We timed our laps to see what the difference was and I was maybe 0.5-1 second behind (27.x seconds vs. 26.x seconds, I don't remember exactly what he told me).
Fresh oil vs. old oil is probably better at absorbing heat a bit. Maybe ext. temps were slightly different too?

Sounds like it is time to tighten up the front sway and loosen up the rear. That should help with the oversteer.

Cool to hear that your car handles very similarly to a Nismo Z and is very close in lap times.

Quick Reply: The G37S is a great track car