Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

The G37S is a great track car

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 07:46 AM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Well it's been a long time coming, but got some work done on the Q this weekend ahead of a track day at the local track, Grandsport Speedway in Houston, Tx. It's a dinky little 1.4mile track with a lot of hard braking zones. I installed Z1 2 piece slotted rotors, carbotech XP10/8 pads, stainless brake lines, oil cooler and full fluid flush with redline.

I have purchased brake cooling ducting but once I pulled the front off the car I realised it wasn't going to fit. The Q must be slightly different to the G around the washer bottle, it's different to what I've seen in all the photos and I couldn't follow the oil cooler install instructions as the routing is different and the power steering cooler lines hit the washer tank if I used the included mounting spacer. It also meant that there is all of ZERO room to run brake ducting on the passenger side, I would have to utilise the space where the foglights are as the intake and remove / install a smaller washer bottle, the oil cooler lines take up all of the available space so there is nowhere to run 2.5" tubing.

4DRZ, I am trusting from your experience that the ducting is not 100% necessary and I'm hoping that the 2 piece rotors help. They are directionally vaned and being 2 piece have quite significant air gap in the inboard and outboard side of the rotor, so I hope that can help pull air for cooling in to the rotor.

Enough words, some pics, and a shot of my 2 seater Z for good measure
Attached Thumbnails The G37S is a great track car-img_20160603_200614.jpg   The G37S is a great track car-img_20160603_200356.jpg   The G37S is a great track car-img_20160603_200445.jpg   The G37S is a great track car-img_20160603_200520.jpg   The G37S is a great track car-img_20160603_200422.jpg  

The G37S is a great track car-_08v0005.jpg  
Old 06-06-2016, 10:23 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I've only been to GSR once to see my brother (WRX STi) and coworker (Fox-body Cobra Mustang) run. They wouldn't let me take my Miata on the track without a cage AND hardtop. I used to run autoX out there in the mid-90s before GSR was built. Love the 260.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:58 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
The first track day I did was only about a mile long with 14 turns so a lot of braking and slow straights, so not much brake cooling. I was running stainless lines, Motul RBF600 fluid, and Hawk DTC-60 pads. Surprisingly, I did not have any issues with heat in the brakes and I just did one cool down lap at the end of each session.

Let me know what you think of the 2pc. rotors. I have been eyeing those up for quite a while.

I would guess you will be fine with heat depending on how you drive. If you have done a number of track days before and know to brake late and modulate the brakes you should be fine. If not, just try not to drag the brakes. You will be amazed how quickly they heat up.

Awesome Z, by the way! Wow, that is clean.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:09 PM
Splitter

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Let me know what you think of the 2pc. rotors. I have been eyeing those up for quite a while.

I would guess you will be fine with heat depending on how you drive. If you have done a number of track days before and know to brake late and modulate the brakes you should be fine.

Awesome Z, by the way! Wow, that is clean.
I will do. Car is stuck on stands at the moment tho cause I got distracted and mixed diff and gearbox fluid on the weekend whilst doing fluid changes and didn't have enough left after tossing what I broke The track I am going to is 1.4 miles, 12 corners, so not dissimilar to yours.

I drive like I mean it, that is my major concern with this car, I DO NOT want to end up in a wall due to brake failure:

Z Meets Wall: We Investigate Why the NISMO Z's Brakes Failed at Lightning Lap - Feature - Car and Driver

I have done many track days, that Z is my 'race car' but is stranded on the other side of the world at the moment, hence my "370z 2+2" AKA "Bus" as they're not-affectionately known in the early Z community

Old 06-09-2016, 11:17 PM
Splitter

4DRZ - and others - have you had any trouble with fuel starvation at the track? I know the 370z guys get it really bad, but I haven't found anyone really talking about it with the G's much, but then there aren't many guys doing serious track time with them either.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:20 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I'm waiting to hear of broken fuel pumps, too.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:44 PM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
I had an issue around right hand sweepers and a bit over 1/2 tank. I just started filling up between sessions with race gas and didn't have any more problems. I'm thinking about trying out the Holley Hydramat kit that Z1 sells. But it's a low priority, so don't expect a review from me anytime soon.
The following users liked this post:
Splitter (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 05:13 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
That Z06 was probably in limp mode haha.

Fuel starvation, high oil temps and brake judder were my biggest issues when I tracked the G, if resolved, the G would be very pleasing to drive around the track. Don't get me started on the 5AT.
Splitter (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 07:39 AM
Splitter

Thanks Gents,

Sam, was the fuel starve at a particular level of fuel in the tank? And was it with the RB or when stock? Or both? RB is obviously going to use a lot more fuel and need sufficient support in that area.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:31 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
That looks awesome! I recognize the track from Gran Turismo 6. It looks identical on your video.

Originally Posted by Splitter
4DRZ - and others - have you had any trouble with fuel starvation at the track? I know the 370z guys get it really bad, but I haven't found anyone really talking about it with the G's much, but then there aren't many guys doing serious track time with them either.
No, but the tank on this car is enormous compared to my Evo so I was never close to running low. I drove 45min to and from the track, raced all morning, and still had a ton of gas left. With the Evo I usually had to refill after the 3rd session. A lot of people complained about fuel starvation with that car too, but I never had any issues.

Originally Posted by G37Sam
That Z06 was probably in limp mode haha.
No he was pushing hard, just not running lines as clean as me and braking a touch too early. That combined with the short straights so he could not run away from me helped. I have also been driving that track for about a decade so I can probably almost do it with my eyes closed. If we were at Road America he would have blown my doors off on the long straights. The track I was at is much more about precise lines and finesse than hp.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:13 PM
Splitter

Well I got to the track this morning and the gate was closed. Turns out the event was cancelled and I wasn't on the email distribution list. What a way to waste 4 hours....

But, I did get to work the brakes in a bit during my 140 mile journey. They are SUPER noisy. The pads don't have a chamfered edge and they rumble something chronic over the slots. I have slotted rotors on the race car and haven't had this, but can only assume that is what it is. It's worse on light braking at speeds under 40mph (aka street driving). Now that they've had some work the pads also squeak like crazy. Otherwise, they work really well. Obviously I haven't had a chance to test them on the track, but so far the pedal feel is really nice and these work just fine as street pads in terms of cold performance.

Next track day is looking like July 10, so got a few weeks wait

Last edited by Splitter; 06-11-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:04 AM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
The noise is probably your rotors. I have used the XP 12/10's on solid rotors, and they weren't any noisier than stock pads. On my other car, I have slotted rotors, and howl under braking from high speeds. Not Carbotech pads, but they howl with various pads. I'd chalk that up to the slotting creating a resonance.
Splitter (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 12:02 AM
Splitter

OK, good to get confirmation. I find it strange that my 'real' race Z doesn't have this noise, but I'm glad I'm not the only one.

As for racing, new event booked for Texas World Speedway on June 26 (this Sunday) and my new RE-71R's showed up today too
Old 06-22-2016, 11:54 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I'm highly annoyed about TWS. The owners said it would have plowed under by now and the subdivision under construction.

Which configuration are y'all running? I've only run the 2.9 CCW though I did a parade lap CW and it was a completely different track.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:37 PM
Splitter

2.9 CCW.

Just having lunch now, but lost my last session after I found power steering fluid all through the passenger side wheel well and initially thought it was brake fluid. Checked all the lines and pulled the inner fender out before finding the source. It was OK on my first run, but that was 15s per lap slower.

I was chasing an instructor in a 350z for about 6 laps and I guess that was too much.

It is 90, real feel 110, so this was a good shake down for car and driver.

Quick Reply: The G37S is a great track car