Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Help long tube headers or stillen headers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 01:10 AM
ayman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
long tube headers or stillen headers?

hi every one didn't know for sure where to put my subject but here it is.

I have a 2008 manual g37 and I'm locking for the best headers for the best gains my setup will be stillen gen3 intake and headers but I'm very confused witch one should I go with , what I have heard from my friends is that I'm going to loose the pressure so it will be waste of money and time.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:59 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Lose pressure?
Old 12-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Kuro
Registered Member

Received 183 Likes on 162 Posts
FI headers > stillen headers
Old 12-13-2014, 03:55 PM
ayman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Lose pressure?

yea loosing pressure out of engine cuz a lot of air is going out
Old 12-13-2014, 08:58 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Um, are you talking about exhaust gas velocity?
Old 12-14-2014, 12:22 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by ayman
what I have heard from my friends is that I'm going to loose the pressure so it will be waste of money and time.
See that's the problem, misinformed friends who are clueless on VQ platforms and basic engine 101 giving mod advice.

Do some research on this forum please, there's a lot header threads posted here already. Some saw good gains and swear by it, others (myself included) think they're a waste of money and not worth the investment (parts & labor).
The following users liked this post:
Glover998 (01-26-2015)
Old 12-14-2014, 01:07 AM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
The stillen headers are short tubes, so just headers.

Long tubes include the headers and most of them delete the OEM catalytic converters with a straight pipe.

There is no way a short tube will get better gains that a long tube.

However, if you are also considering changing test pipes plus the stillen headers, then idk which would give better gains, but I suppose that it will be the long tubes even if it isn't more than 2whp.

Btw, I think it's worth it, but that's because I'm staying NA and will try to squeeze every last bit of HP/TQ.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:01 PM
SmittyG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would check out z1 motorsports headers before buying stillen. They have more dyno results and a consistent track record in performance and quality.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:23 PM
beers64

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Long tube headers would be the way to go. Either PPE or FI would be optimal choices. It will delete the cat so make sure you're ok with that. Long tube headers paired with the intake, whatever other bolt ons you have and a tune should do the trick.

One thing i will say about being "worth it" is this, that is subjective. Long tube headers are a pretty penny. You will notice an increase but not sure if it will be as huge as you are hoping for. Also the increase will be bottom and mid range so top end will suffer just a bit, but nothing too noticeable. Our engines are already extremely efficient when it comes to exhaust flow and scavaging.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:03 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
I have FI RHFC from what I've read the Z1 headers will not bolt up to any other HFC or TP other than Z1's. Is that correct? If so I'm leaning towards Stillen shorties paired with the FI RHFC. Does anyone have this combo and if so can they speak to the performance gains, exhaust note change (if any), etc. Also what should I expect to pay to have shorties installed?

Another option I'm considering is LT headers, but do the FI LTH even fit on the sedans? In The fast intentions long tube header thread ICleanG stated he didn't know if they would fit the sedan. PPE seems great, but expensive. Does anyone with a sedan have LTH and if so were they a straight bolt on or were serious modifications needed to get them to fit?
Old 01-25-2015, 08:19 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
I have FI RHFC from what I've read the Z1 headers will not bolt up to any other HFC or TP other than Z1's. Is that correct? If so I'm leaning towards Stillen shorties paired with the FI RHFC. Does anyone have this combo and if so can they speak to the performance gains, exhaust note change (if any), etc. Also what should I expect to pay to have shorties installed?

Another option I'm considering is LT headers, but do the FI LTH even fit on the sedans? In The fast intentions long tube header thread ICleanG stated he didn't know if they would fit the sedan. PPE seems great, but expensive. Does anyone with a sedan have LTH and if so were they a straight bolt on or were serious modifications needed to get them to fit?
I don't think replacing the FI RHFC with long tubes is a good idea. You might get some good gains, but you probably won't be too happy with them because of all the added drone rasp.

I say this because I had FI RHFC paired with ARK. No headers.
I temporarily switched from FI RHFC (they somehow broke) to MXP Resonated test pipes. Still no headers, but the drone and rasp is there. I can't imagine the drone and rasp with long tubes.

The header install cost is a bit over $400
Old 01-25-2015, 10:40 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
What about going with the Stillen shorties with my FI RHFC's? I little drone is OK. Right now I have very little.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:29 AM
Kuro
Registered Member

Received 183 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
what I've read the Z1 headers will not bolt up to any other HFC or TP other than Z1's. Is that correct?
From Z1 website

These headers are built to be a direct bolt on to the VQ35DE, however they can be used on 07+ VQ35HR and VQ37VHR engines with the use of Stock DE Catalytic Converters, Z1 High Flow Cats, Z1 Test Pipes, or the Cat Delete Y-Pipe available as an option below.

If you have a VQ37 or VQ35HR you will need additional manifold to cat gaskets as an option below. VQ35DE's can reuse your current gaskets or purchase a new set if needed.

You can pair them with any DE HFC or TP.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:15 AM
dgey1

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
if you're looking for power then long tube headers will be better. If emissions are needed then whatever shorty setup you want. There will be a small gain. Most hp seems to be changing the cats with hfc...
Old 01-26-2015, 03:24 AM
Glover998

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
what I have heard from my friends is that I'm going to loose the pressure so it will be waste of money and time.
This thread really irritates me, i don't even know where to start but i just wanna tell you something .. Looking at your screen name, i figured where you're from and it seems that we're from the same place .. So i'm gonna tell you this, Please Please ... DO NOT LISTEN to your friends.. the BS's and misleading information i keep hearing here n there is just unbelievable, i live among you so i know .. What your friends told you about headers is not necessary true or faluse, but the way they described it is not accurate, plus there are many factors behind it.

Regardless of the style of the headers, you may or may not get a benefit from headers on your car .. Our engines are a bit weird when it comes to this mod in particular, some people got a nice gain from ****ty headers, others lost some from $$$ headers and vice versa .. Yes it depends on some theoretical factors but still didn't work with some people in reality.

Take me for example, my HR is stroked to 4.1 ( NA high compression built ) running with big cams all around and is running like champ .. Theoretically, i need some headers here, but in reality i lost some power when installed em ( even tune didn't help ) so i ended up with stock headers and they work just great. On the other hand, they may work for you, who knows ... So ..

Last edited by Glover998; 01-27-2015 at 02:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hooey_b (10-18-2015)

Quick Reply: Help long tube headers or stillen headers?