MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   MODDING 411 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/modding-411-340/)
-   -   Help Lowering 08 g37? (https://www.myg37.com/forums/modding-411/259647-lowering-08-g37.html)

Brandonboggs 07-06-2014 03:10 AM

Lowering 08 g37?

I know there are tons of forums about lowering your car but almost all of them are about lowering them super low. I've been wanting to lower my car for a while now, but the neighborhood I live in has about 4 speed bumps till I get to my house. None of them are too steep, but I still don't want to lower it too much just to be on the safe side. Any recommendations on how much of a drop I should get and what brands will provide springs that low? Also I do not have the money right now to bag it. I still have the stock rims on it but I'm going to get a new pair soon, and hopefully the dimensions won't be much different. Also will I need to get a camber kit or roll fenders or any other little things I will need to do? Thanks for any advice I can get.

G37Sam 07-06-2014 04:45 AM

You're the only person that can judge how low you can go really. Go with adjustable coilovers if you're uncertain.

Brandonboggs 07-06-2014 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by G37Sam (Post 3798096)
You're the only person that can judge how low you can go really. Go with adjustable coilovers if you're uncertain.

Im trying to lower an inch at most with 19" rims. Do you think it's going to require any camber kits? I'm still new to this but really interested on learning about it. Thanks again

blnewt 07-06-2014 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Brandonboggs (Post 3798101)
Im trying to lower an inch at most with 19" rims. Do you think it's going to require any camber kits? I'm still new to this but really interested on learning about it. Thanks again

Tanabe, Swift, Eibach, Tein H Tech (NOT S Tech) are considered mild drop springs and I'd say that's the order of "mildness" from real mild to mild.
I used to say camber kits weren't req'd for the milder springs but I've come around to thinking it's best to get them and keep your alignment settings in factory spec ranges. If you keep your lowered G for several years you'll pay for the kits in tire wear.

If you can do the install yourself (there's a few good DIY threads on this) then you can figure $250-300 for springs, $500 for the camber/toe kit, and $125 for alignment. So with tax and the beer paid for you're looking about $1,000. If you want to wing it without camber/toe kits then it comes to about $500 which is about half a set of decent tires.

Like Sam said, coilovers will give you just the height you want although the rears of many coilovers drop pretty low from the factory at their highest setting. Coilovers start about $900 and can go over $2000 for ones that are best for track duty, so up your budget at least another $600 if you consider coilovers.

Vizard_87 07-06-2014 01:39 PM

I have eibach springs and I can go over speed bumps at a slow pace, I would go a little bit lower but my driveway is a little high :(

whiddles 07-06-2014 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 3798172)
Tanabe, Swift, Eibach, Tein H Tech (NOT S Tech) are considered mild drop springs and I'd say that's the order of "mildness" from real mild to mild.
I used to say camber kits weren't req'd for the milder springs but I've come around to thinking it's best to get them and keep your alignment settings in factory spec ranges. If you keep your lowered G for several years you'll pay for the kits in tire wear.

If you can do the install yourself (there's a few good DIY threads on this) then you can figure $250-300 for springs, $500 for the camber/toe kit, and $125 for alignment. So with tax and the beer paid for you're looking about $1,000. If you want to wing it without camber/toe kits then it comes to about $500 which is about half a set of decent tires.

Like Sam said, coilovers will give you just the height you want although the rears of many coilovers drop pretty low from the factory at their highest setting. Coilovers start about $900 and can go over $2000 for ones that are best for track duty, so up your budget at least another $600 if you consider coilovers.

Eibach pro kit is the was to go ($150-200). 1.2" in front and.9" in rear or something like that I forget. I did this myself in the garage then drove to Firestone and paid $ 150 for a lifetime alignment so after install I aligned it every few months or so and never needed to do camber/toe

Need 4 Speed 07-06-2014 04:25 PM

This sounds like you're looking for a mild drop to reduce that fender gap. A Spring Setup would be the best thing in this case. You can get camber arms, it helps alleviate uneven tire wear.

SlateBlueG 08-08-2014 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Vizard_87 (Post 3798178)
I have eibach springs and I can go over speed bumps at a slow pace, I would go a little bit lower but my driveway is a little high :(

Ditto on Eibachs. My neighborhood has speed bumps too. Blnewt gives sound advice, and I agree with him on the camber kit...from experience. Just know that when you drop the car 1" - 1 1/2" the stock wheels/tires will look "tucked." Yep...be thinking about spacers. I recommend H&R. See how one mod kind of creates a domino effect of mods, lol. If you're married learn this line: "Baby, I know I said no more after this but......."

hizzle101 08-11-2014 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Brandonboggs (Post 3798091)
I know there are tons of forums about lowering your car but almost all of them are about lowering them super low. I've been wanting to lower my car for a while now, but the neighborhood I live in has about 4 speed bumps till I get to my house. None of them are too steep, but I still don't want to lower it too much just to be on the safe side. Any recommendations on how much of a drop I should get and what brands will provide springs that low? Also I do not have the money right now to bag it. I still have the stock rims on it but I'm going to get a new pair soon, and hopefully the dimensions won't be much different. Also will I need to get a camber kit or roll fenders or any other little things I will need to do? Thanks for any advice I can get.

Hey i got H&R springs a few weeks ago on a 14Q60 coupe, it worked wonders and i dont grind the fenders at all driving out in LA, no need for camber kit or anything just the springs and they ran almost $300, and like $150 for installation. works wonders and great look!!! let me know if this helps..

blnewt 08-12-2014 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by hizzle101 (Post 3810828)
Hey i got H&R springs a few weeks ago on a 14Q60 coupe, it worked wonders and i dont grind the fenders at all driving out in LA, no need for camber kit or anything just the springs and they ran almost $300, and like $150 for installation. works wonders and great look!!! let me know if this helps..

If you're running H&Rs w/out a camber kit lets see your tires after 5k miles.

algeee37s 08-13-2014 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 3811107)
If you're running H&Rs w/out a camber kit lets see your tires after 5k miles.

+1...didn't have cambers on my 350z and my $800 tires lasted 8k :52: and they were on Eibach PK!

hizzle101 08-15-2014 06:58 PM

+2.. i didn't see how bad my tires were until today, only 2k miles later and already visible wear.. i spent 500 for a full front/rear spc camber kit, and the shop will cost 100 for installation

algeee37s 08-16-2014 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by hizzle101 (Post 3812697)
+2.. i didn't see how bad my tires were until today, only 2k miles later and already visible wear.. i spent 500 for a full front/rear spc camber kit, and the shop will cost 100 for installation

You will not regret that investment, congrats!:JAMIN:

Brandonboggs 08-19-2014 04:10 AM

Thanks for the help, one more question, I always thought eibachs were more of a drop than tein h techs, but I was recently told h tech are more of a drop? If their more of a drop then how are so many people on here getting away without camber kits on h techs but eibach users are all getting a lot of extra tire wear?

cecrops 08-19-2014 05:09 AM

I am on H-Techs right now. At first I though I could get away with only rear control arms but I absolutely needed the front and rear w/ toe bolts to get it into spec.

Like Brad said, even on a mild drop, I would recommend you get the arms. Better to do it right the first time and avoid paying for multiple installs, alignments and tires.