MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Would love expert opinion on mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:29 PM
machinist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would love expert opinion on mods

I am beyond excited right now. After driving a 96 Accord for the past 11 yrs, I finally bought a black 2009 G37x coupe & put winter tires & rims on it. I also have tints installed (35% & 20%). I live in Toronto and have had the car for the past 10 days. Now I'm already thinking of mod's, but have no clue what to get. Just to give you guys a quick background, I don't like loud exhausts or intend on taking this car on a race track, so I'm not looking to spend money on mods that will not benefit me personally. So here's a couple questions:

1) Do you think an '09 G37x requires a grounding kit? I've heard good things about the Black Betty kit, but wouldn't the 09 G37x already have a good stock grounding kit?
2) Do you think it's safe to drop the G37x living in Toronto where there are lots of bumpy roads and snow 8 months of the year? My friends say I'd be stupid to drop the car only to tear it up on a speed bump.
3) Are there any benefits to installing Stillen Gen 3 Ultra Long Intake Kit on my G37x coupe? What will this actually do to the car, considering I'm just a regular everyday driver, not a race car driver?
4) On an '09 G37x coupe, is it really necessary to replace the stock air filters? What are the benefits?
5) I've been thinking of getting the Lambo doors installed, but concerned that it will void my warranty and look cheesy? What's the best one out there and are there too many cons to get this done?

Also, please bear in mind that I don't want to do any mods that will VOID my warranty in any area. You guys all seem to know what you're talking about here so anyone have any recommendations?

Much appreciated!
Old 12-28-2008, 04:38 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1) yes you will find faster throtel responce and quicker shifts with BB grounding kit

2) I agree with you friends. but it looks soooo goood droped Iam undecided myself (live in Edmonton)

3)GIve it more power and a more aggressive sound. Not lowder just more aggresive. Might see a slight improvement in L/100km

4)K&N would be the way to go if keeping stock intakes. Stock filters are good but the K&N would be better. Last lonnger. you clean them yourself and they breath a bit better. Might also see an benifit in l/100km

5)Will not void warrenty will look cheesey don't do it.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:46 PM
frcefed

I'm seriously debating on lowering mine also. and I couldn't agree more with Shumby's responses!!

Remember Lambo doors are so played out that some lamborghini's don't even have them anymore.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:48 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
do what you like! that's why it's YOUR car...

remember that doing anything such as adding the stillen gen 3 intake will void your intake warranty, obviously because it isn't OEM

if your roads are that bad (since i don't know how bad they are) i wouldn't get a drop... i have the top secret kit and even though it'd look bad azz if i drop it... i just can't cause i'd scrape too much

and pretty much what shumby said...
Old 12-28-2008, 05:02 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can do lambo doors but don't show many on these boards. we will think its wack. However you and your friends may love it.

Just like shumby, dropping looks so good. really makes the car sexy. Do a slight drop on it. maybe like 1". You can get some springs that do that or buy coilovers and have the flexibilty of goinbg as high or low as you want.

If you want coils i got some KW's for sale. ohh yea, buy my rims as well.

good luck
Old 12-28-2008, 05:11 PM
machinist

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the quick response. Just have a couple more things:

1) I'm definately gonna get the BB grounding kit now. Everyone has nothing but great things to say on this item.
2) It'll look hot to drop the car, but the pain of getting it scratched won't outweigh the joy of seeing it dropped (at least for me)
3) Stillen Gen 3 Ultra Long Intake Kit: Since it gives the car more power, will it be using up considerably more gas? Also, if I go with this brand, is it the best out there?
4) This one may be a silly question (keep in mind I'm new to this), but what are K & N air filters? What does this actually do for the car?
5) Lambo doors: you guys are right...this would look cheesy and too try hard.

I'd love to get the ironman lights (I wonder if this would even be legal in Toronto???), but since I live in Toronto, I wish someone local around here was able to do it for me. I know Igor lives in New York, but I can't justify driving all the way there just to get a mod.

Should I do anything else considering my driving conditions & type of regular driver that I am? Looking forward to your feedback!

Thx again!
Old 12-28-2008, 05:17 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
you can have whatever you liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike

seriously though just use the search button and read about each intake... i love the injen because of the sound it makes even though it didn't produce as much hp as it was supposed to...
Old 12-28-2008, 05:21 PM
machinist

Cool, I'll be sure to read up on different intakes to assess pros/cons. Thx dude!
Old 12-28-2008, 05:31 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you need a clear bar in toronto man the satl and dirt on the roads will eat up you front bumper.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:07 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
you seem to like lambo doors i suggest you go for them however, don't go for the cheap solution..

Q: what do you want to achieve from modding your car?
Old 12-28-2008, 06:23 PM
machinist

Hmm...that's a good point shumby, I never really thought about getting a clear bra for my G37x. I did some reading around on the web and it looks like people swear by this stuff, but a few point that it doesn't make that section of the car as "shiny" as the rest. So if I get this installed, what's the best brand to get? And it should last through car washes, etc, right?
Old 12-28-2008, 06:27 PM
machinist

G37 Sam: Good question. I guess what I'm looking for is a nice aesthetic look that's unique, will make ppl give it a second look ("Vanity is definately my favorite sin" - Al Pacino). But at the same time, I don't want it to look cheesy either. I'm not the type of person that would ever race someone else or would want a loud growling noise to come from the exhaust...just not my personal taste.

Overall, I want it to be unique from any other G37 coupe that I would typically see driving. And most ppl are talking me out of going for the Lambo doors, although I'm not entirely closed to it just yet. I'm just not sure what the best one is out there. One that automatically opens & closes with the push of a button/remote.

I'm open to hearing what you would suggest.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:33 PM
w0ady

1. bb kit cant hurt
2. do a moderate drop - eibachs or tanabe
3. dont waste the $
4. just swap to k&n or something for a better filter
5. DONT do lambo doors. what most people dont realize is because our cars werent designed for the added weight, your door frame will wrap over time causing you to have fitment issues later on.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:49 PM
VIP G

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
if you like the lambo doors go for them, I've seen some kits out for the G35 with push button open/close. You can get some springs that will drop you slightly, like Tein H-techs. Your autotragic so get the grounding kit, you'll see better gains that 6MT does. if your not into speed or racing don't bother doing anything to the intake, so no Gen3 intake or K&N filters
Old 12-29-2008, 07:01 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1) yes
2) no
3) no
4) no
5) no

nothing beats factory parts and a factory tune up

Quick Reply: Would love expert opinion on mods