MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   MEDIA SHARE (https://www.myg37.com/forums/media-share-344/)
-   -   Help Does a lightweight flywheel make your G37s faster? (https://www.myg37.com/forums/media-share/189379-does-a-lightweight-flywheel-make-your-g37s-faster.html)

gtracing 01-13-2009 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by G37Sam (Post 2519302)
good luck driving uphill with a light clutch & flywheel.. expect to stall with every gearshift lol IMO unless you're going to track your car these should be last on your mod list

it's actually not THAT bad to drive uphill from a stop...that's what ur ebrakes for...i found that rushhour traffic was the worst...especially with a heavy *** clutch

Mike 01-13-2009 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by gtracing (Post 2519496)
it's actually not THAT bad to drive uphill from a stop...that's what ur ebrakes for...i found that rushhour traffic was the worst...especially with a heavy *** clutch

+1 for proper technique :biggthumpup:

What kind of clutch did you have?

gtracing 01-13-2009 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by mike@riverside (Post 2519531)
+1 for proper technique :biggthumpup:

What kind of clutch did you have?

Exedy stage 2 clutch and exedy flywheel...

used it for 3 months, then removed and sold it

VIP G 01-13-2009 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by G37Sam (Post 2519302)
good luck driving uphill with a light clutch & flywheel.. expect to stall with every gearshift lol IMO unless you're going to track your car these should be last on your mod list

says the guy with the autotragic...

I have no problem at with both of these upgraded

Mike 01-13-2009 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by VIP G (Post 2519798)
says the guy with the autotragic...

I have no problem at with both of these upgraded

+1 You do have to make an adjustment however :)

G37Sambanks 01-20-2009 01:49 AM

I think it is a great idea for me to drive a g35,g37, or 350z with a lightweight flywheel and performance clutch setup to see if that is really what i want. Maybe i can talk to sharif and see if he knows someone. You guys are a lot of help. Thanks:biggthumpup:

JamesEVO 04-20-2009 09:40 PM

Ok my friend has a 00' Eclipse and my friend said putting a new flywheel and transmission would make his car perform better would it be the best decision and the cheapest one?

DownstairsDave 06-10-2009 02:13 AM

:icon43: A new transmission ? Oh yeah, those things are cheap. Like 50 bucks...

TheradicalO 02-10-2014 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by DownstairsDave (Post 2653992)
:icon43: A new transmission ? Oh yeah, those things are cheap. Like 50 bucks...

More like three fity

M3ng 02-10-2014 04:26 PM

I am 29yrs with competition light flywheel and stage2 clutch on my 08' coupe. It took some time getting used. Although I live in suburbs of chicago, rush hour for me is not that bad to and from work(45min drive). BUT if you live in an area with heavy rush hr. traffic, it will get very annoying. After a while, atleast for me since it is my daily, I dont even notice it. It makes it a little fun rev matching more.

Blade89 12-12-2014 10:21 PM

Just to add to this since it seems like I'm one of the few that has this installed (a few months too late). My slave cylinder blew 4 months ago and took the flywheel and clutch with it. The Stillen lightweight flywheel and clutch package was the same cost as the dealer quoted me for just replacing it with stock, so I decided to do it.

It downshifts WAY faster when you're rev matching. It feels a LITTLE faster, but not by a whole lot. The chatter from the transmission while in neutral with the clutch out is a little annoying (kinda sounds like a diesel engine at idle), but not too bad.

All these people that claim it is harder to drive...are only a little correct if you know what you are doing. I've stalled it more in the last 4 months than I have in the last 3 years, but it's only in like parking lots or other very slow maneuvering. Rush hour traffic is still fine, uphill starts are still fine. Then again I would heel-toe the engine on hills before, so that helped the transition.

slartibartfast 12-13-2014 11:06 AM

Lighter wheels have much greater effect on acceleration than flywheel, and that has greater effect than pulleys. The farther weight lies from the axis of rotation, the stronger the inertial effect. Not only are tires and wheels larger in diameter than a flywheel, there are four of them vs the one flywheel.

Start at your wheels if you want more acceleration. If you've already achieved that goal, then yes, lighter flywheel. It didn't make that much of change in drivability on my Miata but I didn't get the lightest available because it's a street car.