Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

New exhaust law in California

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 04:11 PM
rvchiryvn
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
New exhaust law in California

With the new regulation on modified exhaust systems that passed in CA recently, I'm curious if anyone here has gotten pulled over yet. Currently running Gthaus and dont think itll grab attention as long as I keep the RPMs low. Dont really want to go back to stock but that 1k mandatory fine PLUS a state ref is making me think twice Leaning towards putting my car in hibernation until things cools down.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:30 PM
youdunseeme
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am worried about it too but I think it really depends on your living area. I have no problem in where I live (San Diego area), those cops have better things to do I guess
Old 01-07-2019, 11:47 AM
MerakiAutoworks
Your #1 Infiniti Vendor!

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Seeing it all over Instagram..

-Josh
Old 01-07-2019, 02:42 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
What does this law address? Aftermarket cats or catbacks?
Old 01-07-2019, 05:02 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
It's an extension of an existing law for exceeding noise restrictions - what used to be a fix-it is now a fineable offense plus possible state ref. This is a pretty good breakdown of it... (California's Modified Exhaust Law). It's pretty dumb, and I've seen references to people being cited on social media. It might die down, it might not. But best to be educated at least.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:04 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

It's been years since I saw the original brouhaha over noise laws out there. At that time, the question was how LEOs could document a violation in that doing a sound check required a rather rigorous test procedure. Do cops have standardized sound meters and a simple measurement process? Or are they only going for obnoxiously loud cars?
Old 01-10-2019, 09:38 AM
theman
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cops do not have to use sound meters. It's the officers discretion, if he feels it's to loud then it's to loud and it's up to a judge. There's been a case online that an owner of a brand new BMW M-4 got a ticket for being to loud and his car was stock from the factory. I'm sure he will win his case but it just sucks that officers can do what ever they want.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:55 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by theman
Cops do not have to use sound meters. It's the officers discretion, if he feels it's to loud then it's to loud and it's up to a judge. There's been a case online that an owner of a brand new BMW M-4 got a ticket for being to loud and his car was stock from the factory. I'm sure he will win his case but it just sucks that officers can do what ever they want.
That's the biggest issue I have with it. It's up to discretion, instead of verifiable data. As Slartibart said, the process is rigorous and can't really be done on the side of the road. So if you are pulled for it, and subsequently fined/reffed, it's a huge waste of time for both parties to then get it certified, even if you know it's unlikely that you exceed the SAE standards. AND, the certificates from the BAR test are only good for a certain amount of time after issuance, meaning you could be pulled again for it. And waste your time some more.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:58 PM
theman
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, I'm so sick of CA.....
Old 01-11-2019, 06:11 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I fully expect this to go to California Supreme Court.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:43 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm at the point where I'm going to remove my HFC's if the law doesn't change before my smog mid this year. On top of that, if it starts to get real bad, I might put back my stock exhaust on the car and sell my Motordyne (I can only imagine what removing the GTHAUS would feel like).

What are you thinking about doing? Did you hear how an officer cited a brand new STOCK M4 claiming it had an aftermarket exhaust. Of course, they will take it to court and the owner of the car will win, but waste of time.

Some people are saying that it states if you have mufflers and they don't actually do a DB test but write the ticket based off noise, you can maybe fight it as the law says you cannot remove the mufflers, etc. I'm not too sure what to do though.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:30 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
heres an idea for those that live in california. stop voting democrap. them hippy dippy retards make the most asinine of laws. they love promoting clean air and water then tax you to death for having it implemented. i do not know of any other state that would use taxes paid for by legal residents to be used for legal counsel for illegals residents facing deportation. looney toons jerry brown wanted to build a high speed train to the middle of no where, billions spent and not 1inch of useable track has been laid. now california has snowflake fruitbat newsome to look forward to and his pro illegal filthy migrant agenda. yup those exhaust citations and fines are just another way to stuff the coffers.
The following users liked this post:
takemorepills (01-16-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:21 AM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by crookncastle
heres an idea for those that live in california. stop voting democrap. them hippy dippy retards make the most asinine of laws. they love promoting clean air and water then tax you to death for having it implemented. i do not know of any other state that would use taxes paid for by legal residents to be used for legal counsel for illegals residents facing deportation. looney toons jerry brown wanted to build a high speed train to the middle of no where, billions spent and not 1inch of useable track has been laid. now california has snowflake fruitbat newsome to look forward to and his pro illegal filthy migrant agenda. yup those exhaust citations and fines are just another way to stuff the coffers.
Could you please use more adjectives?
Old 01-15-2019, 11:29 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Crrokncastle, please refrain from your firebrand language. There are less inflammatory words to get your point across. This is why the site is heavy-handed regarding political posts, as this one sure is. And the rest of you know better than to be trolls.