Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Need help deciding on a axle back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 07:51 PM
ZRami
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need help deciding on a axle back exhaust

I want to get a axle back exhaust for my IPL but don't know which one to get I've been look at Tanabe Medalion and heard someone say that there really isn't that much of a difference between sound compared to stock. Then someone mention the Top Speed Pro 1's and when I saw the price I was skeptical of the quality because of the price. I want something that isn't obnoxiously loud. The highest I'm willing to spend is $700 and if you guys have other suggestions let me know.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:53 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
No interest in a cat back setup?
Old 09-23-2017, 01:32 AM
ZRami
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
No interest in a cat back setup?
I could do cat back I just haven't looked into it and I don't really know that much about them. I'm new to all of this car stuff hahaha also I live in CA so I need things that has a EO number that can pass emissions

Last edited by ZRami; 09-23-2017 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:34 PM
kc_pig
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Save your money and get more by doing what I just did. I got 2.5" cat back true dual (no x/h pipe) into Flowmaster Super 44's. Got the wrong tips at first so I'm getting my new black tips on in a few days. Sounds amazing and you really do notice more pull in higher RPMs.

No matter what mufflers you decide to go with, a muffler shop will only charge about $275 to put on true dual 2.5" straight pipes and put on your mufflers. Hella cheaper and better performance wise than something like Stillen ($1200 for parts, 2 3/8" non-dual exhaust).

Just my two cents.

Edit: I'm out $275 for parts/labor on true dual/muffler/tip mount, $90 for each muffler, $35 each tip.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Bobo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tanabe medalion sound good but they just aren't loud. Tanabe medalions with 12" vibrant resonators sound just right for me.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:47 AM
ZRami
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Bobo
The tanabe medalion sound good but they just aren't loud. Tanabe medalions with 12" vibrant resonators sound just right for me.
Is that the only thing you have on yours? Do you have a video?
Old 09-24-2017, 10:13 AM
Bobo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't have a vid but here is a link to another members car with the same set up https://*******/H5pP

Last edited by Bobo; 09-24-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:47 PM
ZRami
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Bobo
i don't have a vid but here is a link to another members car with the same set up https://*******/H5pP
Thanks, I like the sound. I think thats what I'm going to do, I'm just trying to open the sound more not trying to do anything crazy with my car. Thanks for your help
Old 09-25-2017, 02:00 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
If you're down to spend $700, why don't you get a full catback? Isn't invidia gemini like $900? This will give you a stock +1 sound.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:08 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Your #1 Infiniti Vendor!

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Contact us for pricing!

-Josh
Old 09-26-2017, 12:42 PM
All G'd Up
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I have an IPL which already has true duals so catback is not necessary but just looking for it to be a little louder and the tips to stick out a little more. I would love to get HKS again which I had on my 04 G35 coupe but they don't seem to make just axle-back and I don't want to spend $1500 on catback when all I need is axle-back since the IPL has true duals stock.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:39 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Yeah IPL exhaust is a dual, but piping is only 2.25 or smaller.

That being said, If I could go back I would have just gotten a HFC first.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:11 PM
vannatte
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kc_pig
Save your money and get more by doing what I just did. I got 2.5" cat back true dual (no x/h pipe) into Flowmaster Super 44's. Got the wrong tips at first so I'm getting my new black tips on in a few days. Sounds amazing and you really do notice more pull in higher RPMs.

No matter what mufflers you decide to go with, a muffler shop will only charge about $275 to put on true dual 2.5" straight pipes and put on your mufflers. Hella cheaper and better performance wise than something like Stillen ($1200 for parts, 2 3/8" non-dual exhaust).

Just my two cents.

Edit: I'm out $275 for parts/labor on true dual/muffler/tip mount, $90 for each muffler, $35 each tip.
Thinking about going this route. Which tips did you go with? Oval? Do you have a link?
Old 09-27-2017, 04:16 AM
ZRami
Registered Member

so catback is not necessary because it is true dual already? Once I looked up the invidia gemini I liked the sound and it had me leaning towards that. If it is not necessary then I might just go the Tanabe/12" vibrant resonators.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:48 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by vannatte
Thinking about going this route. Which tips did you go with? Oval? Do you have a link?
Just did the math. So $525, or basically $500-600 depending on local factors.

I think it really comes down to how much you value the sound. If you're just looking for loud, then this may be a good way to go. You're going to definitely get increased airflow. But you probably won't get that refined exhaust sound.

So balance the cost benefit of going this route. You may want to check out the exhaust threads and ask people that have done custom setups if they think it's worth the potential savings. I just remember there was this guy in the sedan exhaust thread who had a huge headache trying to fix his custom setup because he hated the sound. From what I understand, going custom is very inconsistent depending on who you talk to.

Originally Posted by ZRami
so catback is not necessary because it is true dual already? Once I looked up the invidia gemini I liked the sound and it had me leaning towards that. If it is not necessary then I might just go the Tanabe/12" vibrant resonators.
If you're talking about the IPL, yes it has a true dual. But the piping is on the smaller end. Something like 2.125 or 2.25. So most all CBE setups will be an improvement. I think Invidia is on the smaller end, but it's still 2.36, so still an improvement.

Tanabes, if you're going to buy it used for like $400, then it's worth it if you want to stop exhaust mods with just an axleback. But if you're planning to buy new, I would debate the Invidia or other true CBE because price difference is a lot closer.